Post limit - annoying

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by mantis32, Aug 14, 2016.

1. mantis32

mantis32 Member

"The last posting from your IP was less than 60 seconds ago. Please try again later." <- Lower the time to 15 seconds or get rid of it

I think after a certain number of posts, it should be known that someone is not a spammer and if someone wants to be a spammer after posting so many legit posts, they should be banned. I get this rather often and time is limited, so I often abandon what could have been a good post to someone's question all because I type fast.

There are many other wants to fight spammers that doesn't come at the cost of user participation.

[2C]

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

There are several reasons for the limitation. One of which is to keep people from simply posting the same thing in multiple places. But mainly it is to promote relevant content to a post. In other words it keeps people from just going through one new post after another and posting "I agree".

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it is broken or it has poor functionality. Every once in a while I get the same error and I haven't posted a thing all day. I just move on. I seem to recall seeing older posts about the same issue. Likely a limitation to the forum software I guess.

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I get that msg a lot when I accidentally double tap the return key on my iPad when I post. Oh well! I just learned to live with it.

5. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

I get this message everytime I post. I'll get it now, when I hit post.

6. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

I didn't.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

No problems here, I rarely ever see that warning. Even when I have seen the warning it was because I had just recently posted.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

It is really annoying when you enter into the site and check out "Recent Unread Topics" and go to reply and you get the 60 second message even though you haven't even been on the site for hours

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I get it occasionally, usually when I reply quickly to a couple posts.. most annoying part is even when I go back and wait for several minutes and repost, I then get the message "this post has already been posted, perhaps you click post multiple times without letting the screen refresh" .. yet the post never was posted.. most recent was the thread about using the fuzzy/fluffy duster to aid in closing up adjusting the canvas, I should have a post right after Steve, but got the above messages and post never did appear...

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Many factors can contribute to this error. Browser settings and such.

Try clearing your browser's cache.

11. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Agree. It could be anything. Easy to fix. Save your reply if it was a long one. Close out the messaging page (back arrow will do). Go to the topics and browse a few. Get back and start a new message. This usually clears whatever was causing the problem.

12. R00

R00 Active Member

[​IMG]

A good six paragraph post describing a homemade awning that I refuse to type again, wasted. First post of the day

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Sorry to here that but you don't suppose it might be a problem with Tapatalk do you?

Well if it is, that problem will be eliminated soon enough.

14. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

It could be Tapatalk. Have gotten it a time or two myself, but gou just deal with it. Get the 60 second post thing on the computer too.

I do hope that if this is removed from Tapatalk anothet app is put in its place. Apps are so much more user friendly when on mobile devices.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

15. R00

R00 Active Member

I don't think everyone in this thread is using TaT. There was even an iPad user. Tapatalk is Android.

Also, it's your website timing our IP, not TaT.

16. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I agree... [:D] [:D] [:D]

It is annoying but I learn to live with it. what you need to do is to just use your back button and your post should be there, that is what I do and it never fails. However, the times I get the message is because I have typed a response recently, I have never had the warning if I had not just posted something 60 second or less ago.

firefox here...

17. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I gave up trying to figure out how TapaTalk works a long time ago. The screen shot you post looked like TapaTalk that's why I posted that comment.

I hope that by the end of the year we will have a better mobile access solution.

18. gruss

gruss Active Member

I only see it on tapatalk, so I assumed it was them. Maybe I'll hop on a browser and compare the ip the post is from to my phones. Could be going through a proxy on their end...that would make it look to the site that it's coming from the same Addy

Sent from my SM-G930V

Edit: Well now, I guess it doesn't show the IP when you use TT. If you want my phones Ip address to check I'll pm it to you if this theory has any validity, not sure how the site is set up.

19. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

You know, that's an interesting point about the IP addresses. The system has trouble picking up the new style IP address so perhaps it is seeing all the people with a nul address as being the same person. So if I don't have an IP address and I just posted and you don't have an IP address and you try to post, it would detect that is the same person and say hey you have to wait another 60 seconds.

20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Yup, I'll bet that's it. The way the option is titled is "Time required between posts from the same IP". So I've set it to a lower value. We'll see if that helps.