Post purchase experience

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by sdpadsfan, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

I hope the repairs are completed soon for you! Stories like this are not that uncommon and reading them here on the Portal taught me how to go about our purchases. I feel lucky that we didn't have to push too hard to get good service. The previous owners of our first used popup (via Craigslist) were very nice and helpful in teaching us how to set up and fold up the camper, and so was the dealer who sold us our second used PUP-- even though we were obviously their smallest sale of the month by far. They started doing the minor repairs/maintenance such as repacking the bearings and re-caulking a couple of seams before we even left their property after making an offer on it (a week before we would have the check cut and pick it up), and they helped us decide what brake controller to buy (from Amazon, not from them).

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Next time you buy a camper whether new or used, you will know what to look for.

3. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Sorry for your trouble. We had a lousy first year of very poor service and assembly issues with our new Niagara with CNW and the dealer. I don't feel like reiterating all of them now (moved on and tired of it). We wrote about many of them on the PopUp Portal threads. We were so glad when our "warranty" expired. Once it did, we fixed most of CNW's derelictions and redid the dealer's cruddy work ourselves; we were so sick of dealing with all of their (both of them) deceit, conniving, interrogations, and incompetence. It definitely is not just popups. It is across the industry. It is amazing what they get away with.

Hang in there. Do all that you can to hold them accountable. We hope you can start enjoying it soon.
    M&K

4. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

You are absolutely correct. The canvas is set to be delivered next week so hopefull all the repairs will be completed soon as we have several more trips planned in Sept. Oct. and Nov.

5. edh

edh Active Member

Geez, what crappy dealer service! Moral of the story: where possible, buy what's on the lot and newly delivered there, with nothing signed and no money changing hands until the buyer is 100% certain that all is well, and everything that was promised has been delivered. And you have to be ready to just walk away and go somewhere else.

The problem is that in most locales there really isn't much in the way of competition; dealers may be few and far between. Worse, you apparently can't count on any manufacturer doing the quality of job they should. You'd think that after the recent recession that drop their sales so much, they'd be working hard as heck to please their customers, but apparently not.

I wish everyone here who has good and bad experiences with brands or dealers will cite them here by name, so the good can be rewarded and the bad can be avoided. When you get screwed over like this I also encourage you to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau so there is a record of their shoddiness that others can discover; ditto for posting good or critical online ratings and reviews. It's the only way we're ever going to hold these *holes accountable.

Do let us know how this works out in the end. That dealer really owes you some compensation and I encourage you to press him for it. He should have at least offered you a loaner camper until yours was right and ready to go. I've had some good luck when I have pressed hard for compensation, getting partial credit or free merchandise. Good luck!

6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

We have never bought a new camper, and seldom buy new cars or trucks. One of the advantages of used vehicles is that the punch list of problems have been dealt with. Our philosophy of buying cars and trucks 2-3 years old with under 50,000 miles was extended to buying the camper. It takes some time to buy this way, but it's worth the investment.

The present Arrowhead was purchased privately from an older gent who had some health problems and had to give it up. He was from SE Idaho, we are in the Denver area, we met at the Walmart in Evanston, WY. We set the camper up and took it down twice before the good funds changed hands. The seller pointed out the very few oddities and deficiencies as we did this.

All in all a good experience. We stayed in touch with the seller, sending emails about our trips and mods we made. Sadly, early this year there was no response to three messages, and I found an obituary in the Twin Falls newspaper.

7. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

I wonder how much money a person could make selling a good quality RV that is not made with shoddy and poor workmanship! Just a thought...
    We had the same experience with our new PUP and are now going through it with our new TT... just no limit to the poor workmanship.

8. edh

edh Active Member

I agree completely; it would not cost that much more to make a camper significantly better than most, something shy of Rolls Royce but better than the Yugo that some campers are; the Toyota of campers maybe?

Or maybe we're so used to cheap Walmart stuff from China that everybody would still be seduced by the cheapest possible camper?

9. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

I just heard that all the parts are now in so we are going to bring the pup back to the dealer tomorrow. I will post an update once everything is completed.

10. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

It seems the dealer is fixing the issue. I read your thread and i did not see any input if the issues were dealer created or manufacturing defect.

While shopping for the pup , I preferred rainy days or rainy weeks. Because leaks are easy to find. We saw a Avalon flooding as we were seeing from a small hole I would never caught. The Utah we brought was fully setup on a day while it was pouring.water always finds a way ..i always believed a pup setup or TT out in the elements is a better buy as I can see the issues. I got a 2014 TT in 2014 august .online the unit showed snow.so I knew it was outside for a few months. Made the inspection easy as all I did was check for water leaks.

Good luck. Sadly more moving parts lead to more points to issue. Hopefully the issues are fixed and you can enjoy once the issues are resolved.

11. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

We went up to Richardson's RV in Menifee, CA on Saturday to pick it up. They made all the repairs we requested including replacing part of the torn canvas (at least part of which we believe was dealer created). Before we would sign off on it we insisted on popping it up to inspect everything. Everything looked good until we looked at the new canvas. I'm not sure if it was an installation issue or if there is something else going on, but the new canvas was torn right where it screws into the dinette slide out and was separating from the base again. Needless to say, we refused delivery. The service manager was extremely apologetic and even offered to deliver it to us once the repairs were completed (again). That being said, my wife and I are now at the point where we are wondering if there are larger issues with this pup causing this problem. Do we even want to keep it or do we want to ask for our money back? We just don't know. A lot will depend on what happens when this repair is completed.

On the bright side, I did have a great comeback. When the service manager said he was sorry we were going through this, I immediately replied, "It's pretty much what we were expecting."

12. edh

edh Active Member

You would think that after all your problems already, someone would have been tasked with checking out everything before you showed up; that they didn't just confirms that they are clueless or incompetent re customer service.

I don't know if the latest problem represents something that will just keep happening or not. Assuming it was new canvas correctly installed, I'd be concerned that somehow it has torn again, without even being used. I'd want to open and close that section repeatedly when you go back, to make sure there isn't a defect that's just going to tear the canvas again.

IMHO I would bag this purchase if all is not perfect when you pick it up--you have been more than patient already. I think you'd be within your rights to cancel and demand a refund, but whether they'd fight you on it is another story. Since they have established that they are not capable of good customer service, I suspect they would fight you. Whether you go that route depends on your alternatives.

Unless you schedule still permits a good number of days of camping, it's a little late in the season to be taking delivery; that would be the best way to sort out whether the problems are solved or will be reoccurring. If you can't go camping at least run it through its paces in the driveway (e.g. set it up and leave it open during a good rainstorm, open and close it a few times, run the furnace and the fridge, spend a night or three in it, etc).

My concern is that if the dealer this unreliable and unhelpful BEFORE you take delivery, how reliable and helpful will they be AFTER delivery? At the very least I'd push for a warranty extension at their expense (and get it in writing). Once you take it home you'll have significantly less leverage. You don't by chance have a lawyer in the family, do you?

Whatever you choose, good luck. I hope that they will have finally fixed it, and that it will be smooth sailing from here on in.

13. JT2

JT2 Member

What a great catch and a perfect response. You just know you'd have no claim if you'd taken it off the property and then brought it back because "you must have damaged it."

And there's no way in H*ll the dealer or service mgr or technician didn't know it was ripped; they were trying to smoke one by you and it didn't work.

Well played and good on ya'!

14. edh

edh Active Member

JT2 makes a good point: sound like the dealer sucks and like he has likely been trying to unload the camper without fully repairing it.

If they finally have it sorted out when they deliver it, and you're comfortable it's now properly repaired and that there isn't any other damage (I'd go over it inside and out, top to underneath, with a really good light), then you may be OK. If in doubt and you can back out... well, you've been more than patient for a long while now, so no one could blame you for cutting your losses and starting a new search for a better camper and dealer.

Would never go back to that dealer, though; hopefully there's another dealer that could handle warranty and other issues if needed later on. I encourage you to post his name here so others can be forewarned, and to post well-earned negative reviews anywhere you can find a space to do so online.

15. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

Well, the sage continues. The trailer was delivered a couple of days ago and i did a thorough inspection only to find that the new canvas is tearing in a different place. We have now gotten to the point where we are asking for a complete replacement or our money back. I have sent a couple of emails and have not heard back (I refuse to call because I like to have time to process my thoughts). My wife and I are tired of spending our weekends and free time dealing with this and if I do not hear back by tomorrow, I will be contacting an attorney. Below is the email I sent them.

I am writing to express my continued dissatisfaction with the new 2015 Jayco 1209SC camping trailer my wife and I purchased on July 1, 2015. Not only was the trailer delivered to us in an unacceptable condition, but despite repeated trips to your dealership we have yet to experience repairs to our satisfaction. We are now at a point where, after three months of ownership, the trailer has spent close to thirty days in the shop and we have camped a total of six nights in a broken trailer. This purchase was supposed to provide our family with enjoyment; unfortunately, all we have experienced is headaches. The trailer was most recently delivered to us on Thursday, October 1 and, much to our dismay, after closer inspection, the trailer was again delivered to us in unsatisfactory condition. We are tired of these repeated issues with this supposedly brand new product.

The following is a narrative of our experience:

On July 6, 2015, I sent the email below outlining our experience with Richardson’s RV Center in Menifee, CA. At that time we had an appointment for July 21, 2015 to have all of the outlined issues repaired. We delivered our unit at the agreed upon date and time and met with service advisor Dave Brown (whom I understand is no longer an employee of Richardson’s RV Center). We went over all the issues with the trailer, including the various issues with the canvas around the slide out dinette on the street side. At that time, he indicated that it appeared something had collided with our unit while it was still on the lot causing the large rubbed through hole and, likely resulting in the separations at both the top and bottom of the canvas.

A day or two later I received a call from Mr. Brown informing me that a new section of canvas was going to be ordered to replace the irreparable damage to the original. Since it would take several weeks to get the canvas and we had a trip planned in early August, I picked up our trailer and temporarily repaired the large openings with duct tape until they could be replaced.

Finally, on September 1, we received notification from Mr. Brown that the tent had finally arrived and we made an appointment for September 12 to deliver our trailer for all the repairs to be made. On September 19, we returned to Richardson’s RV to pick up our unit. While at the dealership we set-up the trailer to inspect all the work. At that time we noticed that the new canvas had torn from the attachment screws on the slide out dinette and was separating from the unit along the connecting channel. We refused to take delivery. We spoke with Renato Solis and Nick Traviglia about the issue and they agreed to make the necessary repairs and deliver the unit to our house in San Diego upon completion.

A few days later I received a call and scheduled delivery for Wednesday, September 30. On September 29, I received notice that due to a sick employee, delivery would have to be delayed until Thursday, October 1. On that day, I took an hour off of work to come home and take delivery. While the driver was here, I set up the trailer and briefly inspected the work; however, because I had to get back to work, I did not do a thorough inspection at that time. I notified Renato and Sandra Garcia via email that I had taken delivery and that the initial inspection looked good, but that I would be making a more thorough inspection over the weekend when I had time.

Yesterday morning, October 3, 2015, I fully set-up our trailer for a thorough inspection. The section with the tears had been repaired; however, a new tear was developing along the front of the new canvas adjacent to the front driver side lifter rod and it had begun separating from the trailer (see attached pictures). Needless to say, I was devastated. I also noticed that something had bent the base of our tongue jack (It looked like the trailer may have been dragged or hit something with the jack down). The tongue jack was not damaged in any way when we dropped the trailer off originally.

Dealing with these issues is taking up an incredible amount of time and, quite frankly, we have lost all faith in this product. Given that Mr. Brown felt some sort of collision had occurred on the lot prior to our taking delivery, I now wonder if there are larger structural issues causing these repeated tent issues. We have been more than patient throughout this entire three month process, however we are done. I am requesting that this situation be remedied in either of the following ways in our order of preference.
    1. Replace our trailer with a new identically equipped trailer
    2. Provide us with a refund of the purchase price minus the cost of the hitch work to our tow vehicle. ($15,465.69-$1,214.00=$14,490.25)

Attached Files:

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a Jayco thing, but on our Palomino none of the canvas screwed down like that on the top plate..

17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Is it possible that your roof is going up too high.

18. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

I thought about that. I followed the instructions to a T stopping as soon as the cables are taught. This is not occurring at any other place, just the new portion of the tent.

19. edh

edh Active Member

If you don't get your money back at this point, or replacement trailer that's satisfactory to you, I strongly encourage you to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. BBB should negotiate with them until there is a satisfactory arrangement. Failing that, there will be a record of an unresolved customer complaint on that businesses BBB file for all future customers to see. In the BBB doesn't end up motivating them, I hope there's an attorney somewhere on this site who's willing to go to bat for you!

20. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Check into the lemon laws. I believe that if the vehicle has the same repeated issue 3 times then it is supposed to be declared a lemon. Not sure if they're required to give you a refund or if an exchange is acceptable under the law. Probably best to start by telling the dealer what you want done and quote the law. Later, if they are unwilling then get the lawyers involved.