Post purchase experience

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by sdpadsfan, Aug 13, 2015.

1. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

Interestingly enough, I just checked with the local BBB website and they showed several complaints in which the dealership never responded. I pay for a legal representation benefit through my employer that covers consumer matters so I have now begun the process of working with a lawyer. Even if the dealership does return my calls/emails, I do not trust anything they say.

2. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

So sorry.- Stick with it.

3. edh

edh Active Member

I'm really sorry you're getting screwed like this. Please consider sharing the name of the dealer here so others can avoid what you're now having to dig your way out of.

BBB is always worth a check prior to any major investment. . Sometimes dealers make an effort to negotiate a solution, yet still the customers and happy; however, at least then in BBB it would show as their having made the effort. In this case they haven't even responded to complaints. Non-responses to previous complaints are a BIG red flag, as is a record of ongoing complaints for large numbers of complaints. Anything less than an A rating by BBB should be deserving of an explanation before diving in.

I sure hope that in the end you get some satisfaction, ideally getting all your money back. Good luck.

4. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

I have definitely learned my lesson and will check the BBB website for future big ticket items. As for the dealership name, I thought I said this on an earlier post, but it is Richardson's RV Center in Menifee, CA. I think they also have locations in Riverside and Temecula.

5. edh

edh Active Member

Sorry, I may have overlooked the dealer name.

I hope in the end they'll give your money back; my fingers are crossed that there'll be some good news in the end.

6. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

Update: It has been a few weeks; however, I just heard from our Lawyer and the dealer has agreed to take the pup back and refund us our money :). I am looking forward to having this experience behind us. We have learned a lot about all aspects of the RV industry and have a much better idea of how to handle the purchase and inspection process.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

What's next?

8. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

We are scheduled to return the trailer on Friday. Once I have the refund check and have confirmed that our financing has been cancelled we will begin shopping for a new pup. We really like the floor plan of the 1209sc, but there aren't any other Jayco dealers in Southern California. We may consider a Rockwood 2318g since it is a similar floorplan. We are going to take our time and make sure we do a thorough inspection before we buy anything.

9. edh

edh Active Member

Although it's a pain to have to start shopping all over again, it sounds like the best possible outcome that could have come out of this sorry situation. I am not likely to be shopping RVs in CA but I hope all of you who do will avoid this place. No point in signing up for heartache and hassles.

The BBB record of ignoring customer complaints and BBB inquiries is always a bad sign. Hopefully that dealer will soon die off, killed by their own poor customer service; I only hope that too many innocent employees (if there are any) won't be hurt when it happens.

10. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

You might wish to check out Coachmen. We love ours and haven't had a single issue so far. We've only had it since May, though, so can't speak long-term. It's been on five trips with another coming this weekend.

They have a Clipper Classic, model 1285ST, that looks just like the Jayco. It's got the dining bump out, potty, front storage, and king beds. Also, no bed supports to deal with. Unfortunately, the closest dealer to you looks to be near L.A.

Here's the floorplan:

Attached Files:

11. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

That's a really nice floorplan. We don't mind driving up to LA so we will definitely check it out. Thanks.

12. Grakken

Grakken Member

Glad it worked out for you. Checkout the Rockwood's. There is a place here in La Mesa. Also in Temecula, there are several rv dealers (different OEM's) really close to each other (i'm sure you already know this).

13. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Wow, what a story. Good luck in your new search!

14. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

After a lot of searching and checking out units, we put a deposit down on a new Rockwood Roo 19. We looked at several pups, but once my wife saw the hybrid she was sold. It should be here in 6-8 weeks. Now we just have to wait.

15. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

My nominee for the PopUpPortal Quote of the Year 2015 Award

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

X2 .. That and it's 100% true... I love it when our friends buy brand new TT's and 5'ers... means in 5-8 years time when they get something else new, the opportunity is there to buy their used unit all fixed up and modd'ed ..

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Congratulations, now you are ready to deal with the Dealer. I love my hybrid.

18. sdpadsfan

sdpadsfan New Member

Since the dealer was our biggest issue before, we spent a lot of time vetting dealers in hopes of not repeating what happened. We could have bought a Roo or Shamrock 19 from several dealers stock within a couple of hours of our house, but one dealer had really bad reviews and the others said they didn't want to talk price unless we were physically at the dealer. That gave me a really bad feeling and I decided to go with my gut. We contacted Bobby Combs RV, the dealer we almost purchased our popup from (and wished we had based upon what happened), and ordered the Roo (he didn't have any 19s in stock). I am not going to let my guard down and have a 6 page PDI checklist we will be using when it arrives, but so far I have a much better feeling.

19. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

This is quite a story. Glad that you were able to get your money back and start over. Hope you're staying somewhat dry in the latest CA weather.

20. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Let us know!