Posts not centered with holes for springs!

TG2020

Aug 19, 2020
Efland, NC
Did you see the top go up and down when you looked at it before purchase?
Yes, the seller had it popped up when I got there, and he lowered it for me, no problems noticed. I really should have looked over EVERYTHING more closely. I rushed through it. On Saturday I contacted the seller and shared the struggles I've been having. He did say that twice one of the posts stopped about halfway up. He would shake the post a little and then it would work fine.

Jul 25, 2020
The posts do move around a little in there, maybe a 1/8" or 1/4" to either side. If I punch/hammer them to the side could it make the post go up crooked? I think I can hammer them to the side I'm just concerned this might damage it or make it crooked. You think it's ok to punch/hammer away? Might not be an issue if I move where the spring tubes mount to the frame, if I am able to mount them so the spring will shoot straight up into the post. I'm just also concerned about bending the spring tubes without breaking or damaging them, they're real expensive on the Goshen website!
I just replaced my rear tubes on my 2008 Viking and the tubes were $96 with $16 shipping. you have to call Goshen because they don't sell their parts online. other parts websites sell Goshen parts but at a higher price than the Goshen factory. and my cable was $30 and my springs were $47 and then we had to buy lift post wedge stops and they were $1 a piece

TG2020

Aug 19, 2020
Efland, NC
It's been a little while but was able to work on the pop up a little more Sunday. I elongated the holes for the springs to go in a little more and will bending the spring tunes next so they will mount a little further back and line up the springs to go directly into the holes. When elongating on of the holes, a triangular piece of metal fell through. See pics, one has the triangular piece in place, one does not. I think this piece is just a guide to help the springs go in but I am not sure. Anyone know for sure? Should I leave it out or place it back in? I'm concerned it might rub or slow the spring down so I'm think I should leave it out.
pop up spring 2.jpg pop up spring 1.jpg

TG2020

Aug 19, 2020
Efland, NC
Ok, I was successful at drilling new holes (see pics) pop up new holes 2.jpg pop up new holes 1.jpg for the spring tubes to mount so the springs will go directly into the posts. The spring tubes bent easily (didn't have to move them much at all). I replaced the cable and springs (found a couple small kinks on the old ones), re-greased everything and put it all back together and it lifts fine halfway up then it won't go up any more. I can push/lift the front end up manually by myself but I can't push the back up at all once it's up halfway (I can push/lift it up before then). Crawling inside I couldn't see anything funky with the posts but I really can't see much. Any suggestions on what to do or is it time to take this in to a RV repair shop? Thanks!

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
So the back is getting wedged... that's your clue. Maybe crank it down, get 3 more guys to help you lift it by hand (without the lift system). And see if it's wedging at the same point then? If so, you need to take apart the rear posts and see what's going on.

TG2020

Aug 19, 2020
Efland, NC
05121E99-A54B-4BF2-BA33-52B920A4FED8.jpeg This is a very late follow up but I did want to share that the issue is fixed! I took it to ABS camping repair and they discovered why the lift posts were jamming halfway up. They sit on the floor which had some rot and they slid down so when lifting the telescoping posts jammed under the roof lid (see pic). They replaced the rot in floor and secured posts by metal to the wall of the camper so they can’t fall below again. Works fine now! Thanks for everyone’s help! Finally going camping in 2 weeks!