Potable Solar Panel Theft Deterrent?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Mark CASTELLANI, Sep 1, 2020.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yes, but we secure them in use. We want to keep ours free standing, since we have favorite sites that are in shade, but we can place the panel in full sun. We are often, at least in normal times, out and about all or part of the day, the main time that the panel is charging the battery. (On the last trip, I sprained my ankle on the first day, so was pretty much stuck in the campsite, we still secured the Zamp.)

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Here's a trick I came up with to keep the honest people honest. I layed a dog run cable in with the solar panel wires (Just taped on). I put a loop and a padlock on each end. Then I hook one side to the camper frame, one side to the handle on the solar panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

so very true!...

My original concern was securing the panels during the day , while they're deployed to catch the sun.

To charge my bank, it takes multiple hours in the sun. During those sun-light hours, we're generally away either hiking or canoeing, etc. That's when they're the most vulnerable to theft.

Happy Trails!

kitphantom likes this.
  4. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I'd imagine they'd undo the nuts on the wire collars before they cut the cable unless you crimped on the aluminum stops. Either way it'll slow someone down a bit.

5. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

I'd imagine they'd undo the nuts on the wire collars before they cut the cable...

some super glue or RED threadlock will make that a bit tougher to do... a battery wiz wheel would cut the cable also, but again, just trying to slow down an opportunistic thief...

just watched an RV'r youtube video where he recounted how someone stole a genny off the rear of his moving motor home... fella had it strapped down but not "locked" down... he figured it happened in some stop and go construction traffic around Denver... OPPORTUNITY knocked and someone opened the door... I like to think 99%+ of campers are good people...

6. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Good point on the red locktite. And yes all you can do is try to slow them down. We have a hybrid but I still lock the door when we leave for the day even though each bunk can be unzipped from the outside since they're emergency exits...don't even need to cut anything.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We know that any of our locks, cables, and other methods will not prevent a determined thief from stealing anything. The idea for us is to stop the opportunistic one.
    Some of our locks and cables also serve to make sure we have things hooked up correctly, etc.

Steveo4090 likes this.
  8. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

This is what we have as well.

9. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

We want them soaking up the sun, charging the battery even if we are off the campsite.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

It's just a means to keep them from easily walking off. The advantage of a solar suitcase is it's very easy to close up and carry off. This serves as a disadvantage as it would be very easy for someone to walk up and do the same thing.

If someone drove up to a neighboring campsite, took down the solar, put it in their car, and drove off (which could take seconds) I would consider it suspicious but probably wouldn't approach them. On the other hand if someone was taking bolt cutters to a cable, or obviously trying to defeat it by unbolting something, I'd either say something or quickly call 911.

By the way, if you use crimp-on ferrules you won't have the unbolting problem.