Potential camping season OVER !

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Deskpilot, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

A few options had been planned, a few bucks stashed away and days off arranged. BUT NOOOOOOOOO

Sun 8/4 (16:40)
    DGF and I went for a bike ride on Sunday afternoon while baked potatoes were cooking. Not 10 minutes from home, we encountered a set of trolley tracks. You guessed it. She failed to establish a sharp enough angle to cross them and got wheel locked, and subsequently high-sided onto the pavement and curb.

Witnesses in cars stopped and I called for them to call 911 for an ambulance, as she immediately went to cover the serious gash to her forehead. (No, a helmet would not have saved this one!)

9:40
    Local hospital ER staff stitch her up and take X-Ray and a CT scan. WHOA!!!!! Compound fracture of the top of the tibia. Hospital admits that they're not up to that level of care required.

Mon 8/5 00:30
    Transfer to the BIG University hospital with great orthopedic surgeons. Swelling in not yet alleviated, so they have to stabilize the leg prior to surgery

21:30
    Out of initial surgery, recovering, and final able to consume drink and food! Pain is reduced and changed. Went from a 9 of 10 to 7 of 10.
    01:10 Stable and sleeping

I had to get home and recover myself. A shower, lite sandwich and a beer, and I was done for the the night

CAUTION - UNEDITED Post stabilization pic

Worst effect, shes a school bus driver. No working until at least OCTOBER!!!
    We've got LOTS of recovery time ahead.

2. dwalker80

dwalker80 Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

Good luck and good recovery!

By bike ride you mean motorized or non moterized? Maybe an Off road wheel chair for camping while recovering?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

3. Triplearv

Triplearv New Member

I Hope recovery goes smooth and you all come through this ok. Good luck and God bless.

4. Indy

Indy Member

Ouch... that is terrible. So sorry for all the discomfort she's experiencing. Get well soon!!!

5. james13619

james13619 NewB Coleman Mesa

It just time for a different kind of camping. more relaxing. if you've got to sit/lay all day why not do it under the stars smelling canvas? My wife is going in for knee replacement and will be off work for 4-8 weeks. I see that as camping time!!! She doesn't know it yet but I bought her a big nice zero gravity recliner that will make it easier for her to get down and up; going to try it out this weekend for the Perseids up at the Grand Canyon.
    A nice chair and an interesting book; some stars; a jug of wine and thou. what more do you need? O some canvas and a dutch oven

6. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Oh no! HOpefully she is on the mend and feeling better very soon.

I like James' idea of camping while your DGF is starting to feel better. Maybe in a few weeks when the healing process is well underway and there's less discomfort...it would be nice to go do a chill trip!

7. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Good Lord, that picture! She really took a fall! Please give her my best and we will pray for quick healing.

btw... you're lucky your house didn't burn down from the potatoes cooking! [:O]

8. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Oh nooooo! I am so sorry. I hope that her recovery is quick and she is back to her normal self soon.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Terribly sorry to hear about this. I hope the pain is well-managed and that she recovers quickly.

10. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

From one school bus driver to another, please give her my best wishes for a speedy & comfortable recovery.

11. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I am so sorry, what a terrible thing to have happen. I hope she recovers quickly and you guys get back out again.

12. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this. I hope she recovers quickly, and feels better very soon.

13. KissingCamper

KissingCamper Member

Oh my so sorry to hear. Hope the healing is quicker than expected and the pain continues to be managed.

14. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I wanna know what happened to the baked potato's that were cooking? You never said if they were over cooked or anything.

Hope she recovers well I had broke both the tib and fib at the same time and they are not any fun.

15. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Fair question. It was part of what started this whole MESS.

After she got swept up by the EMS crew of Collingdale, I had to figure out how to get TWO bikes home. Even with the wheel off of one, it wouldn't fit into the trunk of the police Crown Vic, I stashed hers behind a concrete abutment wall in the nearby construction company parking lot. As my T-shirt had served as the initial compress for the forehead laceration, I rode home shirtless, and secured the kitchen, especially the potatoes. They had only been cooking for about 20 minutes, so they weren't even ready for anything.
    I took a high speed shower, gathered up a bag of stuff for her, and drover her car to the hospital.
    I called her son and told him the details, the extent of the leg injury not yet known, and he scooped up the bike and delivered it home. It was then that we got word of the potential extent of the leg injury. I called him back and told him to pack a bigger bag.

For all the well wishers, THANK YOU ALL. She will see this thread Wed (8/7) a.m.

We both know that she is in GREAT hands at the Big City University hospital. They're the ones with the trauma center and are world renowned for their skill at this kind of surgery.

Warmest thanks for all the kind wishes.

SINCERELY,

Deskpilot

16. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Sorry for all that you/she have been through. Hopefully, the pain is better controlled. Here's hoping you can get some more camping in while she's recovering.

17. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Oh my. Medical issues must be a major obstacle to camping. At least for me due to DW's problems.

18. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

oh man, I hope she gets to feeling better soon!!! Keep your chin up, where there's a will there's a way!!! Im sure when she gets to where she can move around a bit you will figure out what it takes to still be able to go camping, you will just have to adjust.Maybe even a camp driveway will make both of you feel better and My prayers go out to both of you. God bless and good luck! :)

19. kpic

kpic New Member

Hopefully, recovery will be quick!