Potter's Place Adult Campground

Discussion in 'Maine' started by Mamagoogins, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

My husband and I spent this past weekend at Potter's Place Adult Campground in Lebanon, Me. We travelled with our friends who also own a pop up. Both our teenagers were away and we were looking for a quiet, relaxing weekend getaway and were not disappointed. This is an adult only campground - furry and feathered children are welcome. The site sizes vary but ours was nearly half an acre! Unlimited free wood is provided onsite. The wood is not seasoned so I suggest having some good kindling just to get your fires started. There is a small heated pool that is never crowded, horseshoes, nature trails that wind around a scenic pond and many immaculate gardens. Out of 100 sites, about 60 are seasonal campers. We were probably the youngest people there but everyone was incredibly friendly. This was our first trip in our new to us Pup and of course, forgot a few things. The seasonal campers next to us provided us with what we were missing. They were leaving for the weekend but just asked that we put their items under their camper before we leave. One seasonal camper gave us a tour of her amazing garden and gave us fresh chives, onions, basil and a zucchini from it to enjoy with our dinner. If you are looking for activities, this is probably not your place. The most exciting things that happened were a daily horseshoe tournament and a brunch potluck. We weren't looking for entertainment and dances. We wanted quiet and tranquil. It was perfect for what we wanted and will definitely be going back when the boys have another weekend away! Our friends who are seasoned Puppers called it the best kept secret in Maine camping. If you are not travelling with kids and want a place to decompress, this is your campground. And...at $28.16 including tax per night for electricity and water...how can you go wrong?
    [​IMG]

2. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Great, just wish it was closer to us. From the show me state.

3. cssweeney

cssweeney Member

Wow sounds like a great place. Wish I lived closer

Candy,
    1989 Coleman Newport

4. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome, although the thread title threw me. I thought it might be one of those clothing optional CGs. [LOL]

5. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

That's what I thought Bullfrog! [LOL]

6. Indy

Indy Member

I thought the same as Bullfrog - lol!

7. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Trust me, when I saw the name of the campground in a review I thought the same thing. I pictured little gray haired ladies walking around with their wrinkles completely on display. I took a drive down to see it for myself before booking and discovered a hidden oasis...with fully clothed campers!

8. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

What an awesome place! I wish I could find sometime similar in my area! I am all about camping for peace and tranquility!

9. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

I've heard rumors that it used to be just such a place!

10. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Interesting. The price sure seems right. 60% seasonal is always scary.

11. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

We stayed here for the second time over the fourth of July weekend. It was quiet, relaxing and wonderful again. The seasonals remembered us from last year and asked when we will be back. We found out our favorite site is becoming a seasonal site but walked the campground and found a new spot to call ours. If you are travelling without kids and want a quiet getaway, even on a holiday weekend, this place is such a hidden gem. I almost hate to share information about it because I love it so much and wouldn't want to see it get busier. The only negative I can say is that the free wood...yes, I said completely free...is wet so you have to dig for dry stuff or bring your own dry starter wood then use theirs when your campfire is going strong.

And...I know the title of Adult RV Park paints a pretty interesting picture but I assure you everyone is completely clothed and there is no "camper swapping". [:D]

12. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good Gold Supporting Member

Review of the campground July 2016. With our Hybrid camper we called for a reservation 5 days before arrival. Tom Potter (owner, former Marine Master Gunnery Seargent) said he would pick a spot for us but if we didn't like it we could take whatever was open. We arrived about 6:30 Friday night. Checked in. He had set aside R7 for us but we saw R5 and R13 which he said were available and took R5. It was a tight fit, should have kept going to R7 which is much bigger. Campground was awesome, very quiet, seasonal folks were very friendly to the point of coming over and introducing themselves. This years cost $27/ night for E/W (30A Electric)and free firewood (note said no all day fires on the wood shed) There are trails all over this old 150 acre farm and now tree farm. Mountain bikers lots of double track [;)] It is within about 30 minutes of the coastal area and Kittery Maine for shopping. There is a heated pool, game room and recreation hall. There is a pond but had low water due to the lack of rain. There is a dump station and a honey wagon service on Saturday for $5. Bathrooms were old but clean with a shower in each side (Men/Women). Landscaping was beautiful, the old stone walls of the barn from the farm are still there.
    This is 80% seasonal folks with the rest for transients, even had some tenting sites X1-4 and a couple of those could handle small pop ups.
    I would highly recommend this campground to anyone without kids (and by that the owner means 21 and older). We will most definitely be going back !!!

If it weren't for the no kids thing it would be on the rally list for Maine. Maybe one year :)

13. upstate family

upstate family Member

That sounds very nice. We have kids, but I wouldn't mind a trip there with just me & my husband. I have been wanting to go to Maine.

14. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good Gold Supporting Member

There is a Maine Rally every year on the first weekend of August, a campground that does take kids. Watch the New England Rally thread for 2017's rally.