Potty in the pup

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Drradcliffe, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Drradcliffe

Drradcliffe New Member

I am looking to purchase a PUP. New or used - I haven't decided yet. My question: is a potty in the pup a necessity or nice to have? I can't wrap my head around the concept of one in such close quarters. I don't have small children and plan to camp in established camp grounds with the usual amenities. Thoughts? Thanks! Dawn

2. Pockets

Pockets Member

We carry a portable loo in each trailer for night time "events." It saves a walk in the dark (insert rain/wind to the phrase "dark of the night") to the toilets. I'm glad DH decided the potties would make our experience a little easier. [2C]

3. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

For me and DW, it is a a luxury. My camping experiances have been tainted by the indignity of having to use very soiled outhouses, pit and vault toilets. In all fairness, it is just a thing for me. I have no problem going in the wild outdoors but the concentrated waste receptacles are just a deal buster for me. Improved public restrooms or CG bath houses are not much better for me and find myself disgusted by what civil people will do to a facility that they don't have to clean themselves. I would get sick before I had to use one. So, in my case it is a necessity to have an onboard potty it and restores the posative aspects of pupin. If you have no issue going in a collection box where hundreds have gone before you, by all means skip the potty in you pup. I enjoy my commode and holding tank since it is all me and I don't have to deal with anyone else's mess.

Good luck with your choices. Choose wisely............

4. ATNZKZ

ATNZKZ New Member

We have talked about picking up a cassette toilet for our pup. My only issue is the height. The ones we looked at sat lower than a normal toilet. I am with 94-D2 though about the comfort of having your own.

1989 Coleman Newport

5. tsubeta04

tsubeta04 New Member

We got out pup with a toilet/shower combo not knowing how big a blessing it would be. The wife is scared to death of roaches so being able to go in the middle of the night is a HUGE plus. The dumping is not a big deal at all for us either.

2012 jayco jay series 1206
    2008 GMC Sierra

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

7. BALTIBCAMPER

BALTIBCAMPER Member

I think you have to defiantly look at your use pattern. If you are use to getting up in the middle of the night to go,you should look at one. We had a cassette toilet in our old Jayco and you do have to improvise and use it on top of something to get the right height. We have a tolilet/shower in our Fleetwood Niagara best thing we ever did.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It is really personal preference and needs. Some don't like the idea of a potty in a living space. For some of us, it is high on the list of wants/needs.
    We chose a folding PETT toilet, which is the height of a home toilet. It uses bags with gel, which are approved for disposal in dumpsters; the Poo Powder is also available in a canister for extra or to use in other bags. The folding toilet takes up less space to transport, can be left in the storage space if we don't want to use it, and we also have a potty tent that can be used when desired.
    While DH will usually walk to the campground facilities even the middle of the night, I no longer fall back to sleep well after cold, rainy or repeated trips (one of the joys of being 60). Having the option of a potty has made trips possible when one of us is in less than stellar health and nicer when the weather is not nice.
    In our new TT, we do have a flush toilet. So far, we've been using the gel bags, since we got it late in the season. We'll use it this year, but the bags will remain an option for trips when the TT is winterized. We'll also continue to use the campground facilities during the day, since our black water tank is small, and we do base camp for several days at a time.

9. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

10. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

My DW did not want a toilet in our pup. We prefer the extra space and the idea of taking care of business in close quarters does not hold any appeal.

11. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

It's just me and the DW in our pup. For night use we use the 5 gal. bucket with the snap on seat top that you can get a Bass/Cabelas for about $12. We put a heavy duty bag with about 2 cups of the paper type cat litter for absorption and order. Works great for the night and we just tie the bag up and dispose at the dumpster.

12. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

If you get a Lugable Loo, just buy the toilet seat lid and cover. Find 5 gallon buckets. The snap on seat will fit most all 5 gallon buckets. Now here's the beauty....I needed a higher toilet due to knee surgery. With this toilet, you simply add more 5 gallon buckets and it gets about 2-4" taller per bucket. I never went past 3 buckets after surgery, and then back to two. Your own preference!

In the morning, fold the bag up, zip it, and dumpster it. Each bag, by the way, has it's own chemicals in it, so no extra purchase.

It might sound weird, but it's highly functional!!

You can also build a little stand for your toilet. Trace the bottom print of the toilet, cute the hole in the stand, and viola! You have height AND stability!!

[:D]

13. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

We use a Loo for nighttime and #1 only. The bag are easy, no smell, double layer bags with a ziploc.

14. steveonzakon

steveonzakon Member

The DW and I have a Thetford Curve. Nice height, and a built in TP holder. We store it under the dinette table during the day with a small table cloth covering it.
    Haven't used it yet, but we put a thermal curtain across the mid point of the camper at night anyway when we cold weather camp so we don't have to heat the far end as much, so that in theory will help with the close quarters issue.

15. davido

davido Active Member

We selected a PUP with shower and cassette toilet because I wanted my DW and young kids to enjoy camping with me. Had we not gotten that option they wouldn't come along.

I've never used it myself, but it was well worth whatever cost in dollars and space to make it possible to enjou camping as a family.

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

What Baltibcamper said.... [:D]

17. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

I bought a portable toilet (Thetford Curve) for my pup and it is really nice. The issue we had with it in the pup was having it inside and navigating around it. Also DW didn't like the idea of eating breakfast next to the toilet. I can't say I disagree. I bought a small pop up shelter and put it behind the pup. That works for us. We have our own toilet that is private and out of the way.

18. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Our pup came with a shower toilet combo, the old 3 S's ( Shi_, Shower, shave) are so easy now, due to the tight quarters.

Speaking of tight quarters, our plan is to never use the toilet for solids, other than TP. As far as liquid, there is never a smell unless we had asparagus for dinner. That said, I don't understand not wanting a pottie in tight quarters. Properly maintained ours has never produced any odor.

We use it at night, prior to bed and at times in the morning. It's nice when raining, or in the 30 degrees fall Campimg in Minnesota can provide.

The shower is also nice when camp showers are dirty, full, or its cold or raining outside.

We had a bucket buddie in our prior camper. It to was nice but required quicker cleaning.

Get a pup with a pottie

19. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I just purchased a new to me Starcraft Constellation Gemini in December , so have not used it yet. It has the toilet/ shower combo. When I was looking to buy my 1st pup I had no interest in a toilet, but now I am happy to have one. I primarily camp with my 86 year old mother so the convenience will be great. Plus she tends to get a bit lost going to and from the bath house. Plus as others have said some of the bath houses are absolutely disgusting.
    I'm looking forward to having my own clean bathroom!

20. MIDGAcamper

MIDGAcamper New Member

A bathroom was priority number one when we were shopping for a pup. We finally bought an used Coleman Niagara high wall with a hard side shower and potty combo. It makes camping easier for us since we have 2 kiddos. We've never used the shower but the potty is extremely convenient.