Potty in the pup

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Drradcliffe, Feb 1, 2015.

1. steveonzakon

steveonzakon Member

I agree. I enjoy using the potty behind your PUP. You keep it nice and clean [}:)]

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We still have our portable toilet from over 20 years ago, it was great for when the kids were little, as we mostly dry camped without facilities. acquired a porta-shelter about 7 years ago and the potty went outside. Once the DW seen a HTT, it was all over....she loves having her own bathroom.

3. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

We had a shower/potty setup in our pup. Used it all the time. We did have the 'deuce in the bathhouse' rule though. When we purchased our pup I had 2 girls in the 6 to 8 year old range. It was in my opinion, and the DW's opinion, not an option. My main rational was it was for the kids, to be honest, I used it more than them. After having a couple of rented adult beverages, the runs to the bath house would have gotten old real quick. Another thought, on a rainy night, you may think "why didn't I get the potty?"
    IMHO, well worth it.

4. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Have to agree with most.....we bought a used pup without the potty and bought a Dometic Porta Potty and love it! We use it only for #1 and at night....DD seems to think she can use it anytime!
    :)

5. tiredTeacher

tiredTeacher New Member

We have a 5 gal. bucket also. We just put some water in it. Our Pup is used exclusively for boondocking so the bucket is pitched into the woods each morning.

Teach

6. highlander70

highlander70 New Member

If the pup you purchase doesn't have a potty, you can always just purchase one of the portable style toilets.

That's what we have and my wife very much appreciated not having to run to the bathhouse at 2am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. movingparts1

movingparts1 Member

8. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

After all the time I have spent on the portal, I am starting to think I am the only one who doesn't get up in the middle of the night needing to potty??!! Early morning - yes, but never in the middle of the night.
    As others have said, it really depends on your needs. If you have a family that frequents the restroom in the middle of the night, or if you plan to boondock a lot where there are no restroom facilities - I can see investing in a camper with a potty.

We chose to not get a camper with a potty, since we really would have rather had storage space. We are not skinny folk (so the tiny toilet and shower would be quite difficult for us anyways), and we mostly camp in areas with decently maintained bath houses. I always bring disinfectant wipes with me to the restroom facilities, just in case [;)] Plus we didn't love the idea of having to dump, clean out, winterize, etc....
    We figured that at some point we will invest in a portable potty like all those spoken about above, as well as a potty tent to set up right outside the camper.

9. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Our first P'up was an old Palomino Shetland, a pretty small trailer. We bought one of the little bucket-style portable commodes for use in that at night, so that DW would not need to trek across a campground in the dark if the call of nature woke her up at odd hours. My wife had her second hip replacement four weeks ago today, so she has dealt with painful walking many times over the past decade or so. Things should get better now, but for her, the difference between a few steps and a few hundred steps has often been significant.

When we upgraded, one of the things we looked for was a P'up with the commode built-in. The Nevada has a cassette toilet and the compact shower stall together. While we've not yet used the shower, the toilet has been very nice to have, particularly if the weather hasn't been the nicest at a campsite. The cassette has more than enough capacity for a long weekend camping trip, and when it's time to empty it, it's better contained than the bucket from the portable commode we had in the Palomino. It's also far more steady, as the bucket style could slide or tip when sitting down onto it.

Whether you consider a built-in commode important or not is up to your priorities. It does open up the options for less developed campsites, along with the convenience if your camping spot is a longer walk to the campground facilities. With it being just the two of us in our P'up, the space taken up by the toilet/shower doesn't really impact our storage capacity.

10. LaTuFu

LaTuFu New Member

We bought a used PUP that has a shower/bath/potty built in. DW is not a fan of off the grid camping, so all of our adventures are in a CG with hookups and bath houses. I told my wife that if we're only staying for the weekend (majority of our trips so far) then use the bath houses. I just don't want to have to deal with cleaning out the blackwater system when we get home. We don't even use the fresh water system or kitchen in the PUP, we set up everything outside and use the PUP strictly for sleeping/playing cards if it is raining.

11. CalKat

CalKat Member

We bought our p'up with a cassette potty built in. Generally we use it only at night, because who wants to go traipsing through the campground in you pajamas to use the bathroom?

12. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

X2. You got that right CalKat.

13. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

We bought a fleetwood Americana, and it has the cassette toilet and shower combo. For the DW and kids they love the accessibility. It didn't matter to me i have been camping in tents for ever.

As far as cleaning..... The cassette is easy to clean at the end of our trip so that was not an issue.... I will stop by the dump station and dump it , then fill it with some water and do a rinse and dump again. Then I have some antibacterial bleach spray in the same compartment that I will use to wipe the outside down with and then reinstall the cassette. All this just adds a few minutes before leaving the grounds.

I say its worth having.

14. mayve

mayve New Member

No bathroom in our pup for us. We planned on getting something we could set up outside in a seperate space for those nightly visits as DH had cancer a few years back and the surgery changed some things for him. We lucked out and inherited a brand new still in the box commode. It has to be set up (a few screws) and taken down each time but it's free and it's high enough us just shy of 50 folks won't have to squat to use it. A bag and some kitty litter and we are set.

15. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We have a porcelain flush toilet (Dometic Sea Land). It was a selling feature for us, and we are so glad for it. We wanted to start "glamping" after decades on the ground. As has been said, we keep it thoroughly cleaned and serviced, and there is no smell or distasteful aspect to it. It's enclosed in high hard walls, the toilet sits high, and the space is ample.
    M&K

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Way back in 1990 when my parents bought a popup they bought a small portable toilet that was small enough to fit in one of the cabinets. It was only pulled out at night for those late night bathroom needs especially for my younger brothers. During the day we used the bathhouse. Now my new pup I'm debating on doing something similar or upgrade to a toilet. I really like the idea of a portable tent for the toilet. Keeps the business out of the living space and provides a bit more privacy but still close enough. I agree with the previous posters that it depends on your situation and your needs. If your the one to wake up too much with a walk to the bathhouse in the middle of the night a toilet in the trailer would be the way to go. I personally never had a problem, so never bothered with either. If in the future you were to have kids a toilet near by will be needed. I can't tell you how many times I had to get up for my little sidekick to take her to the bathhouse when she was younger and dumb me thought why would I need a toilet when the bathhouse was near. It took her forever for her to fall back to sleep after the walk so she was not pleasant in the morning. So you also kind of half to look a bit in the future as well as your camping style. A portable one is great, but storing it may be a problem.

17. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

A necessity? No way.
    Nice to have? Depends on your needs.

We only camp at state parks. They all do a great job of keeping the bathrooms clean.
    That being said, I did get in on a portal deal and purchased this one for $35 ($120 most places online):
    [​IMG]
    We are so accustomed to walking to the campground bathrooms, that I will have to admit that it is still sitting in a box years later. I have actually been looking into how to use it very recently. My wife would love to be able to use it at night. She would probably be the only one to use it.

18. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

What brand of chemical do you guys use? I'm a bit nervous about that; some of those chemicals have a terrible odor. That has been one of the turnoffs for me in getting a cassette potty.

19. davido

davido Active Member

I've been using the WalMart orange stuff. For me the key is to dump the cassette tank daily whether it's full or not. Skip a day at your own risk! ;) The good news is that the thing seems to not emit any odors when it's closed. So odor really isn't a problem unless someone's using it on a day when I've been lazy about emptying the tank.

20. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Everyone has their own wants and needs also where you camp and how you camp play a larger part of this decision. It was not something we even thought about when we bought our last PUP. At that time we camped mostly in "full service" campgrounds. Our last PUP was a minimal style but we got such a great deal on this one we couldn't turn it down. We now camp mostly where there are no amenities and DW hated when the bees flue up out of the vault toilet. Also 0100, rain and mud outside its nice to have one inside.