Potty in the pup

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Drradcliffe, Feb 1, 2015.

1. steveonzakon

steveonzakon Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

2. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

We wanted a more roomier PUP and purchased one with a dining slide out and it just happened to come with a cassette toilet shower combo. At first we had no intention of using the toilet but several years ago DW had back surgery that limited her mobility during her recovery. We had camping reservations that summer and she was determined to go. Having that toilet turned out to be a necessity that summer. Fast forward a couple of years and we are both using it for those zero dark thirty "calls of nature", sure beats getting dressed and walking a 100 yards to the bathhouse.

3. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

We have all the stuff for bucket type toilet. Just have to find a way to connect a seat. Not too enthusiastic, as it's one more clean up. We opted out of cassette toilet for same reason. Although it's hard to get out of PUP at 2 a.m., we still manage even tho we'll be 60 next this coming year,

4. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

5. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Thanks for the info. I've heard that the bucket set up can create condensation on the inside of lid and seat. That's one of the things that I don't want to deal with at 2 a.m.

6. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Pandpcamper, It has to be darned cold outside and warm inside to get condensation on those toilet lids. The only time I went thru that was the same night my shepherd's pole nearly drowned me from condensation. In that case, ANY toilet lid is going to get some level of it.

BUT, I used the drop in chemical pods and never got a smell when I opened the lid.

Good luck!

[:D]

7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

8. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Had a big Palomino popup for 15 years. When we traded it, the OEM porta-potty was still unused and the sample packages of chemicals that came with it were still in the bowl. Now we have a Luggable Loo with Double Doodie bags for night time. Works great. We also have a little bullet shelter to set up in back if it looks like a long rainy spell.

9. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

That's kinda how DW and I feel about our toilet/shower. We had a pup without one. We hope to one day be campground hosts and DW in that case felt a toilet was a necessity. Rather than wait until we were ready to be campground hosts, we took the plunge and bought a Niagara, which has a hard walled toilet/shower, and are glad we did.

We generally camp at sites with flush toilets and showers. If available we use the campground showers, and we use the bathhouse during the day. The onboard facilities are NICE on a stormy night, or when it is in the 20's! It also opened us up to camping at National Parks and Forest campgrounds that often have cold water showers if any.

10. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Never had one in the pup that we had, we made do with the facilities at the campsite....now having a TT with a washroom....we love it!!!

11. Segchris

Segchris Member

Ours came with a porta potty that a previous owner had purchased and never used. We didn't use it at all until my wife was pregnant and up 3-4 times a night. Think she would have called off the camping trips without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

Our first Baja had a bathroom but we never opened up the cabinet or used it - it was just extra storage.

Our second Baja - the dealer showed us exactly how everything in the "bathroom" worked and we would never be without one again. We only use it for middle of the night visits, but still - it is a wonderful thing to have for several reasons...

13. boondoggle

boondoggle New Member

Interesting discussion. We just got a pup and it came with a little traveloo thing in a box. Haven't decided on whether we'll use it or not.

It's just me, my wife and our nearly 5 year old son. We've been tent camping for years so we didn't feel a need or desire to purchase a pup with a full blown privvy taking up valuable storage space. Our pup has a little space for the traveloo to fit under.

Figuring I'll go ahead and prep it for use the first couple times we go out. Can't hurt to have it. I supposed I'd have to sit on it to use it as it's a fairly small 'target' and the idea of any um, 'overspray' getting in the pup would totatlly suck.

Seems like all the trees around us always need watering, so that's been my modus operandi. :)

I guess for an emergency middle of the night pinch or something. Or maybe it will make things a little easier for my wife.

Kinda curious to see if we learn to love it or leave it.

14. CalKat

CalKat Member

Like they say, it's different for girls. It's a bit more difficult to water the trees at night.

15. steveonzakon

steveonzakon Member

I think that's how tree hugging got started.

16. TheEvilKaren

TheEvilKaren "That's what I do; I drink and I know things."

We just bought our first PUP a few days ago. It does not have a toilet or a shower, and I think that's probably good. I was always a little grossed out at the thought of a visible toilet in my living space anyway.

I am not a small woman, so I think a built-in shower would have been difficult for me to use. I'm planning to build a shower/toilet stall out of PVC for use in some camping situations such as our 4th of July week at my family's property in MN. We'll put the Luggable Loo inside at night, since imbibing adult beverages at our age (63) usually results in multiple nighttime calls of nature.

It IS more difficult for females to water the trees, but it can be done. :) I told DH years ago that I'd know when it was time to stop tent camping when I could no longer squat to pee. Turns out squatting isn't the real problem -- it's getting back up again afterward! I bought a QP (aid enabling women to pee standing up) but have had bad luck with it so far. I guess I need more practice!

When is spring, again?

17. davido

davido Active Member

I thought I wouldn't care for having the toilet. And I, personally, still never do use it for #2. But my wife and kids use it exclusively; they hate the smelly outhouses and communal toilets at many campgrounds. So it's worth having for their sake.

As for the shower... now *that* is the real feature with benefits. The kids can get grubby and we just wash them off at the end of the day. And when I start to feel stinky there's nothing like jumping in the shower for a couple minutes to feel refreshed. I've camped for decades without a shower (which is not to say that I've gone decades between showering), but once one became available I would hate to go back.

18. CalKat

CalKat Member

I don't care for the trees, too rough on the old fanny. I have been known to lean on the truck bumper in the dark from time to time. Usually alcohol was involved. [:D]

19. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

Just be careful about leaning on the vehicle if it's real cold out. Like the lady on her first date after a long day of skiing, lots of hot chocolate, then a blizzard for the drive home. When the hot chocolate hit her and she couldn't wait, they stopped, she got out, squatted then leaned on the fender and froze her behind to it. Date had to relieve himself to get her off.

20. MissLou

MissLou Member

It always amazes me to read that people have porta-potties and don't use them. We used ours for everything every time we camped in our pop-ups. I would just as soon live in a house without a toilet as camp without one! The emptying was not problem at all with our Thetford and there was no bad odor either.