Potty in the pup

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Drradcliffe, Feb 1, 2015.

1. mrclortho

mrclortho New Member

My wife insisted on a potty and I was thinking, "Ugg, really?" She would not take no for an answer and that made us have to step up to a more expensive pup model. I was frustrated but wanted her to be happy on the trips so I submitted.

After one trip, I realized how wrong I was and I am more of a primitive camper type guy.

You see, we have two BIG dogs so when you get up at night, even as a man, to relieve yourself, the dogs get all excited and chaos reins at the small hours. Massive German shepherd tails whack everything in reach as they wag furiously, 90+ pounders leap off whatever they were laying on with a resounding "Thump!" and shake the whole pup, kids wake up, and there goes the neighborhood.

Now, we just sneak out of bed, tell the beasts to chill with soft words an a scratch of the ears, use the potty, slip back into bed, and all is right with the world.

2. TheEvilKaren

TheEvilKaren "That's what I do; I drink and I know things."

If I'm up in the night peeing, alcohol was most definitely involved. ;-)

Personally, I prefer rocks warmed by the sun to trees. They almost make hauling myself out of my sleeping bag (we've been tent campers so far) in the middle of the night worth it!

3. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

Totally agree! If you have an installed commode and shower why not use it? With the proper chemicals there is no odor, well unless it's being used at the moment.
    We use a Thetford porta-potty as well, and with the drop in pouches of toilet treatment there is no smell or obnoxious odors. Emptying & cleaning is pretty easy too.

4. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

This is also my biggest problem, and one of the reasons I have been considering getting a portable toilet. If I wake up early in the morning, as I always do, and sometimes need to potty as soon as I wake up, The dogs want to get up and go out with me so they can do their business. They are stomping all 75 and 130 lbs of them all around the pop up and throw a fit if I try to go to the bath house without taking them out too. My hubby is a heavier sleeper and it takes some time to get him to really wake up, so it is hard to wake up and immediately go to the bathroom without him being awake to control the dogs if I leave the camper. It would be much easier to be able to slip up, be able to assure them I am not leaving the camper without them, do my business, and go back to bed [:D]

5. Platinum6316

Platinum6316 Member

Our first Pup was a '95 Jayco 1006 ... a basic model with not many creature comforts. That did us well for a year, then the DW saw a bigger trailer. We eventually bought a 2004 Jayco Eagle 14SO. This thing is a monster of a trailer.
    It came with the cassette toilet built in. During the day, there's a flip down counter covering it. At night, we all enjoy its convenience. Emptying and cleaning are a breeze.

We wouldn't go without now.

6. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

I just cant imagine going potty right next to the bed unless I had a medical emergency, and come to think of it, I was unable to use the bed pan in the hospital. I like my privacy.

On the other hand vault toilets dont really bother me. I am used to getting up in the night when tenting and it can be a real treat to gaze at the stars at 3 am.

I also dont mind just going al fresco in the great outdoors, if no one is around to see.

7. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

It is important to me to generate minimal waste, so any system that involved plastic bags filled with human waste going on the dumpster would be a no-go for me.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Not everyone is comfortable having a potty in the pup. Some pups have at least some form of bathroom, BTW, even if it folds down when the pup is closed. Some opt to have a privacy shelter outside. Potties range from bag systems to cassette toilets to actual flush ones.

On a nice night, a stroll to the vault toilet or restroom can be quite nice. On a cold, rainy, snowy, windy night - not so much; not to mention the afternoon last summer, when I was in camp, during a heavy monsoon thunderstorm - unpleasant at best to trek to the potty. As age, medicals issues, etc. catch up with some of us, there is no choice but to make at least one trip to the bathroom at night. For me, falling back to sleep is especially difficult after a (sometimes long) walk to the potty. Then there was the time I was warned not to make the trek by myself during the night (I was solo camping), since a mountain lion had been spotted in the area.
    Having a potty also meant I went camping the day after foot surgery (with the blessings of my doctor).
    However, for us, we have not wanted an elaborate, full bathroom. Too much space, since we like having a small camper. (Our new TT is 17', about the same length as the opened-up 8' pop-up we gave up due to my back issues.) We've had a folding (PETT/Go-Anywhere) toilet for years, which uses a gel/bag system. The bag system is the same one required (sans toilet) in some back country areas, BTW, and is approved for disposal in dumpsters (not true of the kitty litter ones, AFAIK). Each one of us needs to decide what the cost/benefit of things are. Learning to deal with our own flush toilet and gray and black water tanks this year should be interesting.

9. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

After long discussions about the subject with DW, we both agreed that we are uncomfortable with the idea of a potty in our NTU pup - strictly personal preference. We've been tent campers for years and years (DW did some popup camping with her family when she was young), so we're still coming to grips with the fact that there are things like steps, lights, POWER OUTLETS, MATTRESSES, A FURNACE! [:O]

DW's parents still popup camp all the time and they use that particular feature regularly and wouldn't go without it.

I guess it just comes down to your own preference.

10. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

I was a long-time tent camper (30 years!) before I got my first pup. When I was younger I rarely got up in the night to go, but when I did I never went all the way to the pit toilet or the bathroom -- I just availed myself of the great outdoors!

As I got older I started having to get up in the wee hours (no pun intended) every night, and while that's fine when the stars are out and the temperature is perfect, it's not so great otherwise. So I started simply using a bucket. As a matter of fact, I used a bucket for about 10 years!

I got a Luggable Loo over the winter and have not yet used it. But I got to thinking about the bucket, and how I really needed to not have a bucket of, you know, #1 just sitting there in the pup. I don't know why now all of a sudden that bothers me, but it does! Anyway, I got a teeny tiny Theford 260. We're camping in two weeks, and I will have both in the pup that first night! That Thetford is so small it scares me...

11. gmajane

gmajane New Member

We got one of those shower/changing tents last year and used the five gallon bucket with the Luggable Lou lid and cat litter. We forbid the boys to use it for #2 and told them not to use it in the day time. I am 67 and it was wonderful to have it right there at night. It gave me privacy to change clothes too. It is true about the condensation on the lid. I have to wipe off the seat sometimes.

12. bamacampercpl

bamacampercpl New Member

We have a built in potty in our pup. It is very easy to use and maintain. We have one rule and that is, it is to be used to pee in only. It is a live saver in the middle of the night and on rainy days. We wouldn't have a pup without one.

bamacampercpl - Dennis and Beth

13. herrhefler

herrhefler Member

Personally I don't care to have a porta or cassette inside out Pup...but I don't really enjoy some of the vaulted roof toilets at some of our favorite campgrounds. [:(O]

What has worked best for us is a Porta-potty in its own little tent....we just set it up a few yards from the PUP. Night time ventures out are just part of the experience to me....

14. gruss

gruss Active Member

If you have small kids...get one definately. Saved me so much hassle just telling the 6 yr old..hit the camper potty.

I've yet to use the thing, but I wanted it so daughters didn't have to run to the bathroom at night, they said they'd never use it. They lied. I'll use it if I have to someday but the dry trees need water too so usually there is that.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We carry one for the convenience, DW does not like to go to the bathroom at night, ours was short so I built a portable box to sit it on because she has long legs and it is uncomfortable for her to stand up . (age has a lot to do with flexibility).

16. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

A built in toilet was not an available option in Chalet's 2012 line. They did come with a small size Thetford that slides out of a cabinet under the rear bed. If in a CG with nice facilities we mostly use those, but there are always those nighttime calls. Also nice to have an option if the weather turns sour. Have never had an odor or mechanical problem with the Thetford.

If "boondocking" we set up the Thetford in a Cabella's cabana. My brother is a cabinet maker, and he made us a riser box out of scraps of assorted colorful hardwoods. Box raises seat of Thetford up to typical residential height, has a larger footprint than the potti, and stores stationery and chemical bottle in the base.