Potty's in your Pop Up

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by tommystef, Jul 14, 2013.

1. tommystef

tommystef Searching for a Pop Up for my Family

My family is actively searching for a pop up and I told my friend, who is selling his, that my wife and daughter want a potty on board. He told me that they "stink" and that you do not want a potty. What's the poop on Potty's? Thanks everyone!! : )

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Several threads and lots of opinions and experience here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=64.0

We chose a PETT folding toilet, it is the height of a home toilet and uses a gel/bag system. I also bought the smaller-sized jar of Poo-powder (Amazon has good prices, I've been usng the same jar since 4/10) for extra as needed or if I couldn't find the bags. The "Wag Bag" of the system are rated for disposal in dumpsters and are the ones required to be used in some areas of Grand Canyon.
    With our space, this has been the best method for us. If/ when we have to go to a TT, we might consider changing to another system, though only with good reason.
    As to odor, it has not been an issue even with gut issues. However, if necessary, I will change a bag after use. I buy them by the case off eBay and they are about $.80 per bag. And yes, I use them for anything, that's the reason we have it, for those middle-of-the-night needs, especially in the cold, rain or remote campsites. We have the potty/shower tent, but so far, have not used it; I' sure we will at some point.

3. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

When we were searching for our pop up last year, a toilet was #1 on our list..pun intended [:D] Those 3 am bathroom callings are rough when you have to find a toilet or use an outdoor potty. Now as for the stink, we use a toilet drop in that deoderizes and disinfects, so I don't have any foul odors in the PUP. Also, #2 is NOT allowed in the PUP, that business is for the campground facilities.

Tex

4. tommystef

tommystef Searching for a Pop Up for my Family

Good feedback so far, thanks! Yeah, my friend said that it is not necessarily the #1 and #2 that stinks as much as it is the deodorizers, pucks, and stuff people use to keep it from stinking. He says that those deodorizers smells like a urinal cake!! Any more thoughts on the topic is greatly appreciated! : )

5. MIPeaceDudeCamper

MIPeaceDudeCamper New Member

Our PUP does not have a potty in it, we camp at mostly state parks and only ones with bathrooms/showers and I pick sites that are close enough to the bathrooms (but not right next to). For night I have a potty bucket (luggable loo), we put a kitchen trash bag in it with some cat litter and it is good for night time pee use. I am the only one who uses it (I stay really well hydrated), at first I was a little shy about it but now the kids crack up at me going on the potty bucket and were even joking about taking my picture and posting it here. Ya, they are hilarious.

6. CraigS

CraigS New Member

We bought our 2013 Rockwood HW277 bout 3 months ago and it has a toilet with a door/bathroom.....very nice to have, IMO. We have 3 small kiddos so no way to walk to a bathhouse at 3 am.

We have used it every time for #1 and this last camp for #2 and no smells, honestly. We use toilet deodorizers, clean it really good after and love it and the camper.

Its essential with kids, IMO.

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Am I the odd one here? I love my new Dometic toilet and it lives inside the pup with me! When not in use, it makes a nice little 'table' with a towel over it. I use the solid pucks, but they have no smell, and neither does the potty.

[:D]

8. chappy23us

chappy23us New Member

I purchased my PUP a couple of months ago and at the time of purchase I would not even consider a unit with a toilet but if I had it to do all over again I would definitely get the toilet. Nothing worse than walking my kids to the bathroom at 2 in the morning when it is 20 degrees out.

9. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

We used to tent camp, then had a non-potty pop-up. My DW and I got REAL TIRED of getting up every night at 3:00 in the morning to take my girls to the restrooms. Once it came time to look or a new pup, a potty was a MUST! Now that we have one, I sleep all night, AND if I wake up in the morning past full, it's a two foot walk to the bathroom and back to bed!!

My DW and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!

10. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Our popup has a toilet and shower, we use the toilet as it was intended to be used. No smells at all, I use either the gel packs or liquid waste tank deodorizers. The same was true of the toilet in our previous motorhome.

The waste tank deodorants I have used don't smell like urinal cakes, and if you properly dump, flush out the waste tank, and then add the deodorants you won't get any bad smells in the popup.

11. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Our PUP didn't come with a toilet. We too use the Luggable Loo with a 13 gal trash bag and kitty litter. The cover & kitty litter seem to contain any odor. DH is on lots of water pills and therefore pees alot, so he also has an empty kitty litter jug for that. We usually use the inside potty only at night, but on our last trip to a county regional park, the toilets were not handicapped accessible, so he had to use the indoor potty 24/7.

12. Juice86

Juice86 New Member

We weren't sure if we would use our cassette toilet when we bought our PUP. First time out I set it up just in case. DW used it at night for #1 instead of walking all the way to the outhouse. Wasn't long before I was using it as well. Sometimes when we "flush" you get a brief smell of the deodorant but just smells like a strong cleaner to me. My wife has a very sensitive nose and she doesn't mind it at all.

Only downside is we lose a little storage. But would not get another one without it.

Hope that helps

13. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

Our popup did not have a toilet so We purchased a porta potti it works very well there is no odor clean up is simple and not gross we are able to store I4 right under the u shape dinette
    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

14. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

Our pop up didn't have a potty,,,,,,,

we got a port a potty and had no problems whatsoever.

YOu really have to take care of them,,,,,,,,,I think that's the key.

15. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

WOW!!
    I love this idea. (The bucket with kitty litter, not your kids taking your pic.....although I could see my kids liking that idea as well! )

Melissa

16. ricko

ricko Member

We have a potty/shower combo in our Niagara - if one reads and follows the instructions, there really isn't an odor. Before reading the instructions one might assume an entire bottle of blue stuff is appropriate - that's about 4x too much and waaaaaay overkill for the situation. Most of the Thetford units have a convenient measuring cup that when followed, won't make a stink.

Either get a PUP with a potty or get one of the Thetford or Dometic portable units - you won't regret it.

Good Luck

Ricko

17. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

We love our Potty, just make sure you clean it well after your trip. Also we only #1 in it. I don't want to deal with the #2's I'm sure it would be fine but I'll pass for now.

18. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Re: Potties in your Pop Up

Have one. Never use it. Complete waste of space.

19. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i have a cassette potty in my pup i personally dont use it but it,s a life saver for dw! she has kidney issues and frequents the pot quite often so yes it it,s used quite often as far as the deoderant goes, i usually just pour a small amount of blue luquid in, as number one is the primary use of it anything solid dw will wake me up at night to walk her to the cg reastroom. i think i may try using the packets sometime just toss one in and let it desolve. on a longer weekend or hotter temp night use two if needed. for many years while tent camping i used a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat lid bought at wally world on it, then just kept it outside the door so it wouldnt get accidently knocked over. that worked pretty good also.

20. cjm0mmy

cjm0mmy New Member

We've had a porta-potti for over 15 years, 2 different pups. Wouldn't be without it. We are in the group that only allows #1, unless you are sick, in which case it's a life saver. That only happened once, but.... As far as smell, I swear by the liquid deodorizers. I've tried some of the tablets and packets and never had any luck, either they smell awful, or they don't work to hide the smell of the potti. Also, we put the used paper in a separate bag. Nobody likes emptying the potti, so less bulk makes it last longer between dumps.