Potty's in your Pop Up

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by tommystef, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Bjune

Bjune New Member

Our pup does not have a potty. We use campground facilities, and a 5 gallon bucket for nite time use ONLY. Been doing that since we have been pupping. Oh believe me, the bathroom in TT was much worse when oldest DGD got it stuck and it continued to run till it drained all over the TT. GROSS. We don't let even the smallest DGC use #2 in bucket. Works for us. Of course we are country Texans, and know the ins and outs of chamber pots. Old timers here. LOL

2. bondebond

bondebond New Member

If you desire to use a toilet inside the PUP, then purchase the PUP with one or know expressly how you will handle a portable toilet.

Those who buy a PUP with a toilet and never use it bought the wrong PUP. Those who bought a PUP without a toilet but end up wanting one bought the wrong PUP. If you can't remove the toilet and turn that into useful space, or if you can't figure out where to add/store a portable toilet, then you have the wrong floor plan.

Our first PUP was a steal of a deal. I couldn't pass on it but it didn't have a toilet, which was on my "nice to have" list but my wife could have cared less at the time. After four years of dealing with stop-gap measures, we sold it and got one with a real toilet (ceramic bowl and all) and hard walls. She is happy and life is good now.

Don't compromise on what you think you want in a floor plan. Get the right PUP the first time, or at least as close to it as is possible.

3. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Re: Potties in your Pop Up

I couldn't disagree more with the above post, except for the very last sentence ... which seems to contradict the penultimate one.

I'd purchase my PUP again in a heart-beat. When buying used, it's often difficult to get the 100% perfect unit that has all of your needs and all of your wants.

My advice is to not compromise on your needs. Compromising on your wants is not such a big thing. I didn't want an A/C or a CP. The unit I got has both. Still one of the best purchases I've ever made and would do it again. We ended up using the A/C a lot more than I expected. We use the CP a lot less than I thought we might.

My wife couldn't care less about a CP, which is what I think bondebond meant, too. His wife eventually went the way of deciding it was a must-have feature. My wife stayed the course and it has never been a feature we wanted to use.

If a CP is a must have ... then make sure you get one. If no CP is a must have ... then make sure you get a floorplan without. If it falls into your nice to have or don't care bucket, then your options vary. For us, it all comes down to peeing behind a thin curtain about 4 inches away from 5 other people. No thanks.

4. Brad Metzger

Brad Metzger New Member

We have the Thetford Cassette type and we do both in it. There is a slight bathroom deodorizer smell when you open the valve between the cassette and the toilet, but is not long lasting and the inconvenience IMO is more than worth the minimal smell. My only complaint is having to dump frequently. I don't mind the actual dumping, its just the frequency, especially when the wife offers it to those camping in our group that don't have their own.

5. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I guess I fall into the category of "Those who buy a PUP with a toilet and never use it bought the wrong PUP.". Please tell me what Fleetwood model is identical to the Niagara in every respect but without the toilet, so I can go buy it.

JR

6. krinen

krinen Real Women Camp

I tent camped with my kids for years and went without a potty. When it came time to finally buy my popup just for *me*, I knew I wanted one with a potty, shower *and* a/c. It took me a couple of trips to get up the "nerve" to use the potty, but OMG, I love it. I feel like I'm camping at the Ritz compared to pre-pup. I think if I had wavered and settled for one without, I would have major buyer's remorse.

It is not any trouble to take care of and doesn't smell at all. As a matter of fact, it is amazingly easy to take care of. And I use it for both 1 & 2.

7. tork65

tork65 Member

When I was getting ready to buy my first pup, this was a big question for me. I read a post on this website that said, "you'll never regret having a pup with a toilet, but you'll regret it if it doesn't". Solid wisdom for me. By the way, this last spring it was 22 degrees out one morning and my five year old had to pee, I told him to get out of bed and go, then I rolled over and went back to sleep, I really loved my decision then.

8. 4Powells

4Powells New Member

Get the one with potty. You won't be sorry. We mainly use ours at night and odors are not a problem.

9. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

It came with our Arcadia with its own holding tank but we have only used on one trip so far. It is nice to have as we'll as the shower for those just in case moments. We haven't used the shower yet but again it's there if we need it.
    The one big down side is (especially here in CA) if there is no drain at the campsite, after you dump at the dump station you will need to wash out the toilet a couple times to really clean it which means having to pop up the roof to get in there and clean it out good. The people waiting wont appreciate it while you raise the roof and have to lower it and spent a lot of time doing it.
    As far as the cassette potty, I can't comment on that since I've never had one.

10. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Have a portable potty in my coleman, am able to store it in a cabinet right by the door and can pull it in and out without poping the pup. Just don't forget to clean it... Pretty bad after 3 days... Had made some nice ammonia urine paper soup to clean out at home in my septic access. Yes my house has an exterior septic access point that is 6 inch threaded PVC... Thought how strange at the time of buying house now it's nice for those places without a pump out so I dot have to haul our waste trough the house or worry about slopping it on carpet or in bathroom tile.

11. smallcamper

smallcamper New Member

We've camped in a tent, pop up, travel trailer, motorhome, and IMHO the cassette toilet is the best thing to happen to the pop up camper since the crank-up roof.

There is no odor with the proper use of chemicals. Thetford Eco-smart green works very well in the cassette. It is easy to service and maintain, don't even need a dump station, can be emptied into any toilet.

12. rsm8

rsm8 New Member

A popup with a potty is a great thing. We have a fleetwood arcadia with a built in toilet and 9 gal holding tank. We use it only for late night emergencies and #1 during the day opting for the campground facilities for all other. Keeps the toilet easy to clean just flushes with water

13. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

We love our cassette potty, would never consider camping without a potty inside. No smell btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

[2C] Gotta have a potty with kids. We kept a porta potty in our first pup, no issues. We now have a cassette unit with electric flush, we use the liquid deodorizer and wouldn't be without.

15. ben31popup

ben31popup Take me camping! Annual Average - 28 days

We have a 1999 Coachmen Clipper. We have a cassette toilet. The DW uses it during the night. We have a curtain around it. I only use it if is raining. I still like leaving the PUP to "go." She will never go back to not having one.

Like someone else said, when we "flush" it, we can briefly smell the deodorant, but it does just smell like cleaner. Unlike what some people believe, the liquid, which comes out when you flush, is from its own reservoir. It is not recycled from the waste area. I don't know where this came from, but quite a few people have asked me about that.

16. BTB

BTB New Member

We have an older Thetford cassette toilet. Manual pump flush. I put 2 oz of blue liquid in the waste tank with a few flushes of clean water upon setup. Only use it for #1. Works great and can be dumped in a toilet or at dump station. Wouldn't want to camp without it!

17. jjg

jjg Member

I'm glad I got our cassette toilet working. We use it at night when we are getting settled in. We have to young girls and the 4 yr old is kind of particular to where she goes potty (doesn't like the smell of some bathrooms) so we let her go #2 in it. Keep the toilet drain closed and also the lid down empty it out when needed and you won't smell anything bad. We definitely use it more then I thought we would.

18. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

We have a 9 yr old with a bladder the size of a walnut, so a potty was a must! We love our cassette toilet! I use the blue stuff in the bottle, as well, and it works like a charm. If the campground has toilets, we usually do #2 there, but we've had to use it in an emergency, and it was fine.

Priscilla

2013 Flagstaff 228D and DH's 2004 Nissan Titan

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

There was no toilet in my Yuma and I didn't mind that because I had a home-made Lugable Loo (as described by other posters) but DW wouldn't use it and wasn't high on going out to the vault or restroom in the middle of the night. The TrailManor has a separate bathroom (including shower) with solid walls and a door. We only use it at night but now that we've enjoyed the luxury it would be difficult to go without it. We've never had any odor problems from waste or the deodorizer.

20. MIlover

MIlover Member

Our Jayco 1207 did not come with a cassette toilet, so we bought a used Thetford porta-potti from Craig's List. We love it! It only gets used for #1, but is so wonderful at nighttime, and especially with a young child. When we get a new pup, it will have a CT. I can't imagine not having one. Also, it has never stunk. We use just a little bit of the Thetford campa chem natural deodorizer and it works great for us.