Power conditioner question

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by zmurphy, Mar 18, 2010.

1. zmurphy

zmurphy New Member

Hello, i wanted to install a car stereo into my pup (98 Coleman Grandview). after readin some other threads about doing the install, i had planned on using the 12v supply to the fridge. but i found a few more threads that warned against connecting a radio to a power converter that old, because it is not power conditioned. and sure enough i was reading the manual and it states the same thing.

so my question is, is there a stand alone power conditioner that i could wire between my converter and radio?

thanks

2. Dman20002000

Dman20002000 New Member

What I ended up doing was simply using a 12v DC 1.5 amp power adaptor and plugging the radio in 120v receptacle. Stereo works great and don`t have to worry about damage to the converter or other components.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I don't know about the converter part of your question but my Fleetwood/Coleman manual specifically says not to connect anything to the circuit the fridge is on.

4. zmurphy

zmurphy New Member

DUH! seriously, WHY didn't i think of that? Thank You.

i did a search and found several different ones. how you make you connection to the car radio itself? cut off the plug (on the power adapter) and splice it to the + and - of the car radio? and what did you use to power the Accesory wire on the radio?

thank you!

5. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

Do you always camp at sites with 120V hookups? If not, where do you plan to get the 120V from?

I do mostly dry camping (no hookups) or boondocking (dispersed campsite). I run the fridge on propane and everything else is powered by the 12V DC battery. Using your proposed setup, I would not be able to use the radio without electric hookups.

As for the connection of power to the radio, it would depend on the radio. The accessory wire is supposed to turn on the radio when you turn the car ignition to the 1 or 2 position, if it was installed in a car. Depending on the radio, you may be able to turn it on manually without the accessory wire connected. Otherwise, connect it to the + side of the adapter. Then you would manually turn the radio on and off.

Good luck.

6. Dman20002000

Dman20002000 New Member

Exactly, Just splice the acc wire to the always on wire and wala you have power. The only problem is that once you turn the main power off to your pup any preset radio stations will be lost. But how hard is it to reprogram them the next time you use your pup.

7. zmurphy

zmurphy New Member

Thanks for the replies!

yes we pretty much always camp w/ full hook ups.

Dman, where did you get the power supply from? i have been searching and have found several for around $20. as far as sotring the stations, that no big deal, i'll be listening to cd's and my MP3 player.

thanks again, you've made my week!