Power draw of insulin pump?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by MaeKay, May 7, 2020.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

My cousin’s pre-teen has Type 1 diabetes and has an insulin pump. Currently at home he just plugs it in while he’s in the shower and at breakfast. It’s USB powered so my guess is it doesn’t draw a TON of power. But they are gearing their 2003 Coleman Niagara for more boondocking (looking forward to the days we can go dry camping together!) She’s going to try to get me brand and info but does anyone have experience charging their pump on a 12V supply? She’s going to install a USB outlet to charge from the battery like we did.

We have two 6V batteries from Costco and even with charging two iPhones daily, plus running LED lights, a little furnace and a little water pump, we can boondock 6 days with our setup.

I’m just hoping I’m steering her in the right direction power wise. They also have solar panels but she’s not sure how much power they generate. It was enough to run incandescent lights and water pump for each weekly trip when her parents used the trailer years ago.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not knowing what it is , except as a life saving device that needs electric. I would venture to say , have a back up plan. So something that can charge the pump if you cant get power. You need to kbow the power consumption first. Then plan accordingly.

3. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Thank you. That’s what we’re trying to ascertain is the power consumption. It sounds like it pulls less than a cell phone so my guess is a backup power pack would work, too. Obviously she’s not going to head out and be fool hardy but I thought I’d start the conversation and see if anyone else had similar experiences.

4. Sjm9911

I get it , maybe a make and model would be better to try to get information on that? Its hard to say , everything is diffent and uses diffrent amounts of power.

MaeKay likes this.
  5. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Yeah, I asked her to send me that info. I’m just so excited that she’s getting her family up and running finally. I’m stuck on near bed rest 32 weeks pregnant with twins so I’m living vicariously through her preparations.
    I just got excited, hence posting too precipitately.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

I am glad you helped me think of a backup battery. You can get those for fairly cheap and that way if something happens he’ll have something. She also said they can just charge it from the car. But like us, she said when she goes somewhere remote to just relax she doesn’t want to have to turn the car on for an hour. (National parks where you’re driving more is a different story.)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Get the stats people will help you get to the power you need, If they can. And congrats on the twins.

MaeKay likes this.
  8. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Will do. Thanks!

9. 60man

60man Member

Hello,
    My 9 year old has type 1 diabetes aswell. We dont let anything stand in the way of her doing what she wants and camping, hiking, paddling, and any other out door activity can be safely done with type 1 diabetes.
    You will have a few options. The supper portable phone chargers are great. He can charge his Dexcom, or his phone, or what ever pump device he is using 3 or 4 times with a charger.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1tRqAOT_l_WASZL8CVHPFH&cshid=1602206881085

Another option and one that should always happen, is do not rely on the pump or any networked monitoring system. Always have on hand insulin pens, and the finger stick testing equipment.

The last one is a 12 v battery can be used to power an automotive charger. This is not convenient and not the cheapest way, the 1st and 2nd ar the methods I use.

Lastly bake sure the childs doctor is consulted. Her or she can help coach aswell.

Best of luck and if I can help with anything more, just message me.
    Best
    Mike

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The max draw on a USB 2 is 500 milliamps, 1/2 amp, at 5 volts. If it's a USB 3 or a USB C it can handle a lot more, but they would know because they would have to use special chargers. They make pocket size charger batteries that can recharge a phone multiple times which can be used for backup. She can also charge in the TV if necessary.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

SteveP likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

You can find different brands of these for great prices. Amazon, Costco, etc. I keep a couple in each camper and the SUV. I usually leave one fully charged for jumpstarting and use the second for charging my phone, kindle, etc.

SteveP likes this.