Power help-extreme newbie

HoosierMomma

Jun 21, 2022
I plugged in my 2002 coleman Cheyenne today at camp backyard. Used a probably too long extension cord and an adapter to get to the plug-in. But now what? I have no idea what the next steps are to getting the lights on. Any step by step videos or lists would be much appreciated. Only videos i have found are just people sitting and talking about the power. I need to be washed through it. I admittedly didn’t check it when i bought it, no source and the previous owner said he never used the battery mounted on the hitch. So there is also that, how do i hook it up? The manual didn’t really go into specifics, or i am missing it, if it did. Thanks for any input.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Not much to turning your lights if everything is working.
I would first verify power is getting to the camper first.
Not sure about your year but some old converters have a switch to tell it 12v or not. I would first start at the converter to verify if there is a switch and it’s turned on the appropriate power source if applicable. if There is no switch on the converter then I would try plugging something in the electrical outlets in the camper. Do you have power there? Make sure your sink gally is put in its set up position and is pressing on what we call the kill switch. Sometimes that switch can get gummed up and it doesent make the needed connection. The kill swith is designed to turn off lights if the camper is in travel mode to prevent fires If someone was to accidentally leave a light on.

Jkoht

Aug 10, 2020
Everything above is great info. I'll just add that there should be a breaker or 2 for your 120 V service, while you're looking at the converter for a power source switch check to make sure the breakers aren't tripped.

Johneliot

Silver Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2022
Chico, CA
Agree with above. I use something like this because it's cheap and easy to tell if sockets are working. Start at the first socket and work your way into the trailer. This will tell you where in the chain the electricity stops.

HoosierMomma

Jun 21, 2022
Thank you for the tips. Got it plugged, electric power switched on, fuses turned on. Have good working sockets all around, but no overhead lights turn on. Also at the power switch on the outside, there is a dial with 0-5, what is that for

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Also at the power switch on the outside, there is a dial with 0-5, what is that for
That sounds like your fridge controls. anything in that panel is for your three way fridge. Green switch is when you want to use your fridge on 120v. The dials Usually control if you want to use your fridge on propane.

Bowman3d

Super Active Member
Apr 13, 2015
LaLa land (SoCal)
There is a wire that goes up the outside of your camper to the roof. If you are stand on the curbside of the trailer( opposite side that door is on) it’ll be on your right where the rear bunk connects to the trailer. It’ll be in the canvass. There’s a connection there. Sometimes they come loose. This is the wire that feeds your ceiling lights.

HoosierMomma

Jun 21, 2022
There is a wire that goes up the outside of your camper to the roof. If you are stand on the curbside of the trailer( opposite side that door is on) it’ll be on your right where the rear bunk connects to the trailer. It’ll be in the canvass. There’s a connection there. Sometimes they come loose. This is the wire that feeds your ceiling lights.
I checked this, it didn’t power them on. But thanks to searching the forums for all troubleshooting, i was able to find it.

davez26

Jul 19, 2014
This is a good start. At the overhead light connector, I would check for power. If there is power at connector, problem is up in the bulbs, fixtures or wiring.
If no power, time to look for the wiring at the back of the converter and check that.
If I recall colemanpopupparts.com has wiring diagrams that may help.
For the record, they have a TON of Coleman info.

HoosierMomma

Jun 21, 2022
Well after crash course in electrical ac/dc basics, getting a multi meter, troubleshooting all around the camper wiring i finally figured it out. The battery was dead ☠️. New battery installed today, and went ahead a replaced fuses, even though they all looked good on inspection. And everything is working. I feel silly, because it took me so long to figure out what could have been a simple fix, but happy to have learned so much along the way! Thanks for everyone in this group. Your knowledge and dialogue have been a tremendous resource!