Power Inverter Question for Dry Camping

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by micbur, Apr 23, 2013.

1. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

I am wanting to go dry camping and the battery on the camper will currently run the furnace, water pump and lights after setting up. Sometimes we might have the need to charge/run a laptop or small appliance.

Could we purchase a DC to AC inverter and using jumper clamps connect it to the truck battery as needed? Could the camper, using the 30AMP to 115v adaptor, be plugged into the inverter in order to have the inside outlets to work? Would this damage the truck battery and should I just purchase a 2nd battery for when I dry camp?

Need suggestions?

I'm looking at the Whistler Pro-1600W (1,600 Watt Power Inverter)

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I would not run AC appliances on an inverter connected to your truck battery. First, that would dramatically increase the chance that you wouldn't be able to go anywhere because your truck battery would be discharged too far to start the truck. Second, automotive batteries are not deep cell batteries. Automotive batteries are intended to put out a short term, high energy burst to start the vehicle. They are not designed for cycles of deep discharge and recharge. Deep cycle batteries are designed for deep discharge and recharge. You would soon end up replacing your truck battery.

3. micbur

That's what I was thinking but wanted confirmation

Thanks

4. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Adding an inverter to your current battery would allow for the use of electronics off of AC, but you will lose energy in the process and drain your battery pretty quick with higher loads. You'll need to calculate your loads and figure how much you could safely run it before reaching the critical "50%" mark. At that point, you'll need to shut it all down or have a way of recharging your battery (solar/gen). Do the math before you start buying expensive stuff.

5. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

As an oldtime alternator/starter repair guy told me.. never use an inverter in your vehicle unless you have the engine rpm above idle, as the demand on the alternator will burn it out...

7. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

You would be better off looking into a generator it will recharge the PUP battery and your laptop. There are alot of different types out there to chose from.

8. micbur

I am planning on looking for a small generator...the inverter was just a stop gap one time thing for today. I was planning to take the camper out to a 5k event that had no hookups.

Thanks for all the info....

9. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Unless I was needing to charge/discharge heavily, I'd go solar over a generator. I would want the noise to go along with the charging. Just my opinion, tho

10. micbur

I'm not talking about the large generator I'm looking at the quieter smaller ones. They have ones that are now rated as quieter than our new dishwasher.

I have a generated for hear st the house but definately would not take it. I am also looking into one of the solar ones

11. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...