Power Stabilizer Deployment

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by generok, Aug 3, 2020.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yes.jpg
    NO.jpg
    Using an impact driver to raise and lower stabilizers in a CG makes you "that guy" or "that gal". Use the drill, in low, and not the impact driver. It has nothing to do with taking it easy on the components or over torque, you can beat up your rig all you want. It's about using an impact driver on a steel frame and rattling the CG. The drill is quiet and helpful.

Thanks for reading this op-ed piece.

2. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

MILWAUKEE IMPACT.jpg

I use one of these on LOW speed/torque. I carry it for flat tires anyways and the winch override/stabilizers & wheel nuts - ALL the same size.

My2cents

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I have four stabilizers, I crank them by hand, its not hard, there is no rush.

xxxapache, Orchid and Toedtoes like this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Now if we could just do something about those guys that leave their diesels running for 30 minutes when they arrive after dark or when they first start it up in the morning!

neighbormike and Orchid like this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree! It takes about 10 seconds per stab with the hand crank. I'm not sure why so many people use power on them. All I can think of is that I have super easy stabilizers compared to some. I have no memory of it ever being an issue on any camper we've ever owned. It's not even worth getting out the power drill for.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

I agree. Had someone in a huge rv use an impact driver next to us when They were packing up to leave while we were camping a few weeks ago. Very annoying and very loud and it was 8 am. To his credit, he did wait until after quiet hours but I really didn’t need the impact driver alarm.... (I was up anyways but still)

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If I become physically unable to crank down the stabs, it may be time to think about giving up camping. There are far more exerting tasks when camping that doing that job.

8. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

How about the guy who fires up the chainsaw in his site?
    I have seen it happen and the ranger showed up real quick.
    I LMAO...It was like a 36 inch chainsaw that lumber jacks use and was
    throwing sawdust 20 yds behind the guy.
    We still tell that story a lot out camping.
    You guessed it....Big ol bearded guy with cut off blue jeans wearing
    flip flops.[:D]

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I wish I had crank down stabs. All mine are the flip down kind, and it can take a fair bit of effort to ratchet up to the next stop to get them solid, and there is less adjustability as well. Unfortunately on mine it would require extensive modification to add crank down stabs.

I don't have a cordless big impact yet, just the little 1/4" impact driver for drywall screws and decking use. I do have a corded one though, and a number of air powered ones. Eventually I will have a cordless one to take in the car for long trips in case of a flat. I don't think I would use it on the camper though for cranks - I would be concerned about damaging something, and most of those uses a decent drill would do just fine.

However - I am usually "that guy" for a different reason - if I let loose with a sneeze or two I guarantee most of the campground hears it. I have been known to cause many dropped drinks and plates of food in my lifetime. Sunlight tends to trigger my sneezes, so beware!

ArizonaMike and neighbormike like this.
  10. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I bet with the Covid mess...You sneeze and people hit the deck[:D]

DerekCamperDad and neighbormike like this.