Power strip!

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by Mdtim21219, May 1, 2021.

1. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

I recently installed this power strip and was wondering if anyone else was using it and what their experiences have been with it. upload_2021-5-1_15-10-58.jpeg

Jwwiff likes this.
  2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Where did you get the power?
    It's crooked o_O

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You know, that is a good place for it if your cabinet is anything like mine. I have 12v wires there I could easily access there and a pretty decent place for phones to sit. I’m kind of curious how accurate the battery monitor is. Please post when you get a chance to test it out. I have been thinking of putting something like what you have in, I just could figure out the best place to put it.

4. kgibson

kgibson Member

I have the same one but haven't installed it yet. I'm planning on using the power by the radio and having the switch control the radio on/Off at the same time.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got a smaller one. Mine is accurate to within .05 volts according to my voltmeter. Good enough for me.

Mdtim21219 likes this.
  6. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

I tapped into the wires for the exterior light. Yes I know it is crooked or the extinguisher was mounted crooked. Bought mainly for a yearly off grid guys trip.

7. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

That’s a good idea about connecting through radio but might lose preset stations if power the stereo down.

8. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

The battery that came with the pop up is basically done for but planning on getting battery soon so I can test furnace’s ability to work off battery when off grid.

9. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

That’s good to know. I want to monitor how much the furnace draws down on the battery overnight over a few night to see when I have to replenish for generator.

10. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Check the fuse for the light. You might have limited power available.

11. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

I do like those setups! But… I opted for a basic 12v outlets, tapped radio feed and fridge feed and put inline ATC fuses lower than their branch fuses to ensure it didn’t blow their intended purpose. I didn’t want any parasitic drain from unused usb, meters, or other extra whatnot.
    upload_2021-5-2_19-57-20.jpeg

upload_2021-5-2_19-57-43.jpeg

Mdtim21219 likes this.
  12. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

I have a similar unit but without the on/off switch. I noticed that voltage display on my unit read 0.5 to .75 volts lower than actual. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the length/gauge of the wire run from my batteries to that outlet. Maybe 25 feet one way: Batteries on tongue, back to the WFCO converter wiring (a rats nest of wires), and then forward to the front wall where it's mounted. (I just did a quick estimate on a voltage drop calculator and it suggests that the voltage drop should be closer to 1.2v. I'll make a note to measure.)

Mdtim21219 likes this.
  13. Turfit

Turfit Member

I just ordered one, planning to install it at the same general location and also tapping into the exterior light. But I am thinking about wiring it directly to the battery but that will be alot of work running wires......

14. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

It seems to be a nice setup. If you did decide to run it directly to battery, I do not think it would be extremely hard. I would just worry that you have to drill holes in the exterior walls or in bottom since you can’t follow current wiring since it goes to converter first then to battery. Let me know how it goes.

15. Turfit

Turfit Member

My plan was to follow the current wiring even though it would take the long way around but I would not have any drilling to do.

16. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

Let me know how that works out.

17. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

18. Rich Ard

Rich Ard New Member Silver Supporting Member

In my Jayco the converter (CP-10FK-2) has two 7.5A 12V circuits, one for the lights and one for accessories; as I'm not running a furnace or water pump or anything, I used the second leg to power a USB strip for charging stuff, and installed a meter with an alarm just south of it as well.

PXL_20210707_032404195.jpg

Draw on the LED in the strip and the lighted meter is minimal (and the meter powers down easily). Added benefit: there's a night light in the trailer!

19. Jwwiff

Jwwiff Member

I bought basically the same unit except the USB plugs, On/Off switch, and voltmeter were all in the same “hole”. It works great - just have to watch out for what wire you hook it into. The power draw on the 12V side will be limited to other appliances on the same line and your voltage readout will be affected by line length from the battery. After installing it would be best to take a battery reading directly off the battery and compare to what is on the display to give you an idea of the voltage drop. I would consider that display more of a guide rather than a source measurement for battery voltage.

Rich Ard likes this.