Power Switches

VT Campers

Oct 23, 2022
I just purchased my first pop up, a 2005 Fleetwood Newport. There are two white on/off switches for the ceiling lights and two brown on/off switches inside the pop up. One of the brown switches is near the shower/cassette toilet and the other is near the stove. Can anyone tell me what they may operate?

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
Brown switches could be water pump and kill switch. The white on/off switches could be the switches for the ceiling lights.

mogulsmoke

Howdy Everyone...
May 4, 2012
Years ago, when I was still in my pup for camping, I brought the rig home, tucked in the canvas lowered the top and pushed my rig into a corner of the garage. Weeks later I opened it up to prepare for a trip. To my surprise, a large brown hole had been burned into the canvas. When I put the rig away the light was not on but pressing the canvas against the light fixture turned it on. Subsequent to the insurance claim and new canvas, I installed a neon pilot light in the cabinet opposite the door. There after, it always alerted me that the power is "on". Those were the days of cheaply made light fixtures. LED's were not around yet but the neon light never let me leave the power on. In those days the battery was in the cabinet next to the door, inconvenient to disconnect with the top down. Hope this helps someone. A LED pilot light would be simple to install today.

ChiefHart

Apr 2, 2020
Staunton, Virginia
Brown switches could be water pump and kill switch. The white on/off switches could be the switches for the ceiling lights.
Or the white switch might be an outside light over your steps. My '93 Chesapeake has an amber light over the step into the popup. It used to be incandescent, but I have replaced it with an LED array of two LED.s

JJBerk

Jul 2, 2022
Crownsville MD
My pup has two brown switches, located at opposite corners inside. One is the hot water heater and the other is the water pump for when not connected to ‘shore’ water. Enjoy!

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
To my surprise, a large brown hole had been burned into the canvas.
That is exactly why the manufacturers started putting kill switches on the campers. Normally it's located on the galley and set so that why the top section of the galley is removed, the switch goes to OFF. Some kill switches can also be triggered by the bunkend being slid into the box. That's how it worked on my old Fleetwood Neon. The kill switch, to the best of my knowledge, only kills the power to the overhead lights.

I always thought it would be nice if it killed the power to everything (I.E. radio, water pump, water heater).

ChiefHart

Apr 2, 2020
Staunton, Virginia
That is why I open the Main Breaker on my service panel. That opens the 120-V circuit, and cuts out the 12-V converter.
I also have a built in kill switch for the cable going to the top. My Galley when opened, closes the switch so there is 12-V power to the lights.
93' Coleman Chesapeake

Cherito87

Apr 21, 2019
The brown switch by the shoilet on our 2005 Fleetwood Niagara works the light above the shoilet. We thought that light didn’t work until we found that little switch by the bed.

VT Campers

Oct 23, 2022
The brown switch by the shoilet on our 2005 Fleetwood Niagara works the light above the shoilet. We thought that light didn’t work until we found that little switch by the bed.
I’m so glad you posted that because I was thinking the same thing about the light for our shower and was about to buy a new one. I’ll have to open the camper and give that a try. Do you have a switch near your stove/range as well?

Cherito87

Apr 21, 2019
I’m so glad you posted that because I was thinking the same thing about the light for our shower and was about to buy a new one. I’ll have to open the camper and give that a try. Do you have a switch near your stove/range as well?
Not that I can remember. The other two switches I have are to the right of the door as you enter (overhead lights) and one to the left by the sink (water pump). Unfortunately, it’s winterized and put away in our shop or I would check. Our refrigerator is by the range and it has a switch on it that operates a cooling fan when using propane. But it’s a red toggle and on the fridge housing itself.

VT Campers

Oct 23, 2022
Thanks so much for your help! I think maybe the other switch is for the water pump or water heater as others have mentioned.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Mine is an '08 and a highwall so a little different, but I can think of 4 switches inside (pretty sure the outdoor light switch is outside). Overall ceiling lights (but not the fan-lights that plug in) and water pump are both by the door, potty ceiling light by potty, water heater switch by water heater (kind of near the floor and pretty out of the way).

Keep flippin' switches and you'll figure them out, and forget them by the next time! I don't think manuals cover these things but maybe?