Power to manual winch conversion - my thoughts

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by CampingBlacksmith, Oct 8, 2020.

1. CampingBlacksmith

CampingBlacksmith New Member

I just wanted to make a quick post in case someone is looking for answers on whether or not to replace a power winch with a manual. The quick answer is YES.

I have always been a little concerned with power winches since the one in my first popup went bad while on a week long multi location trip a few years ago.

Then we bought a brand new popup in 2018 and recently the power winch has been giving me some issues. I checked the other day and the pawl gear, and ratchet arm, are super worn causing the roof to drift down. I contemplated buying the new parts and fixing the power winch but we are getting ready for another long trip and I just have been super nervous about it.

I pulled the trigger on a manual winch from Goshen stamping. I called them on Tuesday, it arrived today. The switch out took me about an hour as I was having problems getting the cable the way I needed it. I did not have to replace the cable, but I had them send me a new one just in case.

37 cranks...that's the number of times I have to crank the manual winch to fully raise my roof. 37 cranks...that's the number that gives me piece of mind that the switch or some other electrical component won't go out on us while camping.

So to recap, in my opinion, if you are considering replacing your power winch with a manual, go for it. At least for me I think it was the right choice.

CampingFamily1 likes this.
  2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Yes, I did the exact same thing for the same reasons. I just got tired of worrying about the electrical components of the electric winch. I also ordered mine from Goshan and installed it in about about an hour. My top actually goes up easier with the manual winch. I can raise the top in 41 cranks and about 1 minute. I'm 74 years old and can raise it with one hand. I could not be happier with my decision. It was a little tricky getting the cable attached to the winch as they wanted. But I finally got it.

CampingBlacksmith likes this.
  3. CampingBlacksmith

Do you have a cover over your manual winch? I wouldn't think I would need o e but wanted to see what others do....

4. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Yes, I do have a cover over my manual winch. But I did not purposely make one for it. The electric winch that I had already had a cover built over the top. So I just use that.

5. CampingBlacksmith

Good deal, thank you!

6. Kyle Peavy

Kyle Peavy New Member

Do you guys that like the manual winch have AC units on top? I just bent the mounting plate severely in about 1/2 second of trying to lift with one of the latches still on. Think I would have noticed with a manual and not done any damage.

7. fullpecueca

fullpecueca New Member

I've been considering this same swap out. ive been having issues with the power winch since we bought the camper, finally some parts failed last week when cleaning out the camper at the house (again, thankfully not while out on a trip!).

the PowerWinch says its rated at 1200 lbs. we have an A/C on the roof. the Goshen stamping winch is also rated at 1200 lbs (actual winch component is Dutton-Lainson DLB1200A), so i dont think there would be an issue. Dutton-Lainson also makes some larger capacity brake winches which could be an option.

i'm about 90% ready to pull the trigger on this swap out.

if anyone else has feedback about lifting roofs with AC unit on top, please advise.