Power Usage

Espeycaver

Jul 12, 2011
I'm trying to find an extension cord for hunting use this winter. I will be running 2 electric blankets, 1 or 2 of the camper lights, and maybe the furnace fan. How many amps will this draw? I believe the heater will be close to 4amps. I believe the lights will be 1amp or less. How much for an electric blanket?

bfahs

Oct 5, 2013
Espeycaver said:
I'm trying to find an extension cord for hunting use this winter. I will be running 2 electric blankets, 1 or 2 of the camper lights, and maybe the furnace fan. How many amps will this draw? I believe the heater will be close to 4amps. I believe the lights will be 1amp or less. How much for an electric blanket?

There's a couple questions here:
ARe you going through the CAMPER'S power?

The Lights and Furnace Fan are DC. So you need to power the converter from the camper, normally through the 30 amp cord from the camper.
The Electric Blankets have to plug into something, either receptical's in the camper, or an external extension cord.

What are you plugging into? What is your power source, and how far away is it?

Voltage drop over a long distance will have the effect of needing more amps.

All of the above should be OK on 1 15 amp rated extension cord.

But don't forget you will likely need a 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor for the plug from the camper.

Brian

Espeycaver

Jul 12, 2011
Everything will run off the campers power convertor. I have the camper plug pulled all the way out and an equal length of 30amp extension. It looks just like the camper plug. The electric blankets will plug in to the outlets in the camper. I know the larger and heavier the cord the better except for the cost. Lowes has 100' of 15amp, 12ga. for $89. I assume this will work. However it is 25' more than I need so I'll have a little more power drop.

Espeycaver

Jul 12, 2011
The 30amp to 15amp adapter is just different in the metal prongs right. I have one that plugs in to the campers 30 amp odd shape prongs, like a dryer plug. The other end of the adapter looks like a standard household outlet, 2 vertical flat prongs and one round one. Then the extension cord will plug in to the adapter.

bfahs

Oct 5, 2013
Here is a voltage drop calculator that may help.

I "Think" you will be OK with a 15 amp cord. But you may want to run the math.

Espeycaver

Jul 12, 2011
I looked at a voltage drop calculator and don't really understand it. I don't see the comparison between the amps we are talking about and voltage.

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
My electric blanket is 180 watts.

Any outdoor extension cord will be fine for your suggested load.

2 x 200 watt blankets = 400 watts
2 x 20 watt lights = 40 watts
1 x 40 watt furnace = 40 watts
converter ineffiency ?? 100 watts

say 600 watts/120v = 5 amps

Turn every thing off to fire up the coffee maker [LOL]

EV2

Mar 18, 2008
With the total length that you have, I would stay with the 12 gauge.

Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
Espeycaver said:
Sounds good. I'll try to get a cord that is a little heavier, 14-16ga.

Those are smaller wires. The stock 30 amp cord is 10 gauge. A 12 gauge cord is rated for 15 or 20 amps depending on the plugs. Don't use anything smaller than 12 gauge.