powered speakers

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by samtgrizz, Sep 15, 2009.

1. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

I have a small LCD TV that I use in the PUP but I find that the speakers are not loud enough, especially when the air conditioner is on.

Has anyone tried to hook up powered computer speakers to their television?

I don't want to drag an amplifier around so was thinking that would be a solution.

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Thats exactly what I do. With either the LCD Monitor/TV or the Laptop, the built-in speakers don't cut it. I have a small pair of PC speakers that I plug into the headphone jack of devices and it works great!

3. rtracer99

rtracer99 1974 Bethany

Sure, this is easily done. Most computer speakers have a headphone jack as the input. You can buy a converter at your local radio shack or Target or Wal-Mart whatever. Basically you convert your headphone jack into a L+R RCA jack. The TV should have an audio out for the L+R with RCA outputs. Just plug the two wires in and make sure you speakers have power and you should be good to go.

Good luck. Let me know if this didn't make any sense. [:D]

4. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

I use computer speakers and I just use the heaqdphone jack thats on the tv.

5. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

RTRacer99 ... does using the RCA jacks give you both the built in speakers and the computer speakers? I know using the headphone jack cuts out the built in speakers.

6. rtracer99

rtracer99 1974 Bethany

Yes, the speakers on the TV should NOT be affected by the outputs. The outputs are built-in so you can have an external amp or receiver. Some people use the output to record TV shows and thinks like that while they are watching them. There are some VCR's that don’t have a antenna connection. The only way to record a show is by using the output RCA jacks on a TV. This is one of the reasons the output exists.

7. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Although the audio RCA outputs that are on most TV's is one way of getting an audio feed for external speakers, in my case, I didn't want the crappy little speakers in the TV on at all; the headphone jack takes care of this, and is the 'native' connection for 99% of powered speakers for computers.

8. rtracer99

rtracer99 1974 Bethany

That is true, most computer speakers use a headphone jack. You can also use the RCA output and turn the volume off on the tv.