Pre- everything: minimum tow vehicle capability? Buying SUV and PuP this year

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by NegrilJerry, Mar 23, 2015.

1. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

Bought a '10 Toyota Highlander with the 3.6L 6, tow cap 5K lbs. Feels BIG compared to my ol' Camry, but we'll appreciate the space and the ability to tow without stress! Again, much thanks for so much well thought out advice.

2. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 New Member

Congratulations on the new vehicle! I'm sure you'll be happy. The Highlander will last pretty much forever (I just read an article today about how it is one of the top 5 vehicles most likely to reliably last 200K miles or more). I believe that these V6 powered midsized CUVs are the sweet spot for towing most pop-ups, the "Goldilocks option", not too big and not too small. They are able to do day to day duties with decent gas mileage while still being plenty powerful for most pop-ups.

3. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

What be WDH?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Weight Distribution Hitch. Will transfer some of the trailers weight to the front axles of the tow vehicle.

5. carolinacamper

carolinacamper Member

Wife purchased a new 2011 Kia Sorento. At the time we were not giving any consideration to towing anything more than a motorcycle. She wanted AWD and good gas mileage, so we purchased a direct injection 4 cylinder without tow package.

A few years later and we decided we were tired of tent camping. Kept seeing pop up campers at the camp ground and decided to look for one. Since we already had the SUV we decided to find a pup that would safely pull behind it. Tow rated at 1650 lbs.

We even went to far as to speak with the Kia Service Manager in advance of purchasing our pup to make sure the car was up to the challenge. He said we would be fine, even without a tow package. In fact he said we could probably pull much more than 1650 lbs but to stick with the factory rating.

So, we found a pup that has a gvw of 1350 lbs. I figure we are right at 1650 with gear loaded. So far the SUV pulls like a champ, even up I-40 into Asheville which is a pretty steep climb, Drove up the mountain at 50-55 mph running at 4200 rpm. Red line is 6,500.

So, for anyone who already has a 4 cylinder, do your homework but you don't necessarily have to upgrade your TV.

6. mhrir

mhrir Guest

I wanted to clarify this since to me at least it doesn't appear to be accurate.

If the vehicle is rated to tow 2000 lbs, adding 1000 lbs of people and cargo does not lower the tow rating as long as the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (total weight of the tow vehicle, trailer, cargo, and passengers) is not exceeded AND the tongue weight plus passengers and cargo does not exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight AND the tongue weight plus passengers and cargo does not exceed the Gross Axle Weight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How many times have we seen this?

[​IMG]

7. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Agreed, You have to do the math because manufactures rate each vehicle slightly differently.

2004 Mercury Monterey
    GCWR 8700
    GVWR 5860
    Tow cap 3500 , 350 tongue weight (10%)
    curb weight of the heaviest Freestar/Monterey 4340 (mine does not have all the options, no power lift gate ect)

8700 GCWR - 4340 (max curb) = 4360 remaining GCWR amount
    4360 (remaining GCWR) - 3500 trailer = 860 remaining GCWR

5860 GVWR -4340 (max curb) = 1520 payload
    1520 max payload - 350 tongue = 1170lbs remaining GVWR (could have 7 167lb passengers)