Pre Planning 2023 Ontario Summer Rally.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
As the title states. Pre planning for the 2023 Ontario Summer Rally.

Do we change the dates?

Next year July 1st is on a Saturday, which means people will either get June 30th (the Friday) or July 3rd (Monday) off. A few will be able to take both days off. Either way it will be a 3 day weekend for most.

Next is location..

For those newer members, it was decided long ago (at the third Rally) that the Rally should be kept somewhere within a 2hr drive (normal drive times, not long weekend drive times) of the 400/401 interchange and no more then 1 hrs (but up to 1.5 hrs) East or West of the 400.
Pretty much that puts things in a square of Peterborough to about Cambridge and North to almost Gravenhurst (up hwy 11) and ParrySound (up old hwy 69) ..

Lots of Provincial Parks in this area.. so let's hear some ideas.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Well here is my choices..lol

Keep it on the July long weekend. (I'll either be off or have vacation).

I would love to have the Rally at a more Northern Park Like Grundy, Arrowhead, Restoule, Marten River or Oastler.. since all of these are within a 2 hour drive of home (important incase DW has to drive herself and the dogs to the campground) .

Hopefully next year things work out and I am able too attend ( ok, not be up on my roof shoveling snow off on the day reservations open for the long weekend).

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Would Awenda be a consideration ?

Possibly.. I should have mentioned, we try to use "B" and "C" rated parks as they are usually easier to get reservations..

If you don't know, Ontario Parks rares their campgrounds "A, B, C and occasionally D" . This is based off of popularity of the park itself.. The ratings are always changing, but as examples, Algonquin is rated an "A" park, something like Oastler is rated "C" and at times has been a "D" ..
Too further complicate things they use the same system to rate individual sites within a campground..

Not sure if Ontario Parks has or still publishes the little guide book (not the campground news paper) but in there it use to list the Parks grading. (A,B,C or D)

Now Parks change in popularity all the time, the first rally held at Emily, most of us made reservations a week to two weeks beforehand, the third and last rally at Emily, it was May that you had to have had reservations made by.. (Yes Mel.. that year I knew in May that we would in fact be attending... ). That is because of what ever factors Emily became popular..

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
Same as I write every year, it doesn't really matter where it is, I'll go if work scheds don't get in the way. This year was the worst yet for work getting in the way, (and for attendance), but we did make it for 1 day. I couldn't go without getting my annual fix of Fin the Doggo.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Well due to things always being in motion, moving and ever changing, I am officially stepping down as the acting planner of the Ontario Rallies..

Hopefully, another member will step up and take over. It has been fun and a real PITA at times, trying to pick dates, pick locations and at one time organize door prizes .

My message to whomever picks up the challenge.. Keep it Simple..