Pre-purchase jitters

Dweeb

Jul 24, 2012
I'm beating myself up over researching and shopping for our first PUP.

Based on size and features, I had my mind set on a 2005 Viking which appears to be a bit over priced. It is at a dealer and I fear my weak negotiating skills so if I went to put my hands on it, would buy it up and pay too much.

I have come across a 2003 Coleman which suits us well also at a much more reasonable price for sale by an individual. The Viking is slightly more feature packed tho.

Reading this forum has educated me a great deal bringing to my attention the IDT lift issue on the Viking and the ABS roof issues on the Coleman. I'm told the Coleman roof is in good shape and is certainly ABS. I'm also a little concerned there will be a parts issue with Coleman no longer in business. And I would believe that the Viking being sold by a dealer, that the recall should be taken care of.

I keep telling myself if I pass (procrastinate further) there will be others. But should I just jump on one of these since they 'feel' right and not worry about the minor issues a few have had? Also both are a bit of a drive away so partially why I haven't stopped by yet.

Please extend some words of wisdom my way.

jonkquil

Super Active Member
Jul 20, 2009
The fact that you are doubting these pups, makes me think they are probably not for you. If you are not desperate to buy a pup immediately I think I would wait. In the Fall prices are lower and you have more bartering power - even if you are weak at haggling you'll be a little less weak in the fall!!!
Make sure you take a look a quite a few pups before you buy, that way you'll know if you are getting a good deal or not. Good luck, I know it's not easy making that final decision!

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I'm not familiar with either of those pups, so can't comment directly on them. I can tell you that we did not worry about Coleman being out of business when we bought a new-old-stock Cobalt last year. After renovating our previous pup, we were aware that many parts are generic, and there are still sources for most everything else, or assumed there would be at some point, given the number of Colemans sold in the past years.

As for bargaining, I'm not good at it either. So, I took a friend who is good at it, and goes camping with me on occasion, to the dealers once I had shopped several and narrowed my choice to just a couple of pups. We talked ahead of time as to budget, etc. It worked, and I had another set of ears listening to everything, plus she got a run-through of how the pup worked. We got a never-used pup for a better price than I saw on CL and the used dealers, even allowing for bargaining. DH never saw the pup until we went for delivery.

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
I wouldn't worry too much about Coleman trailers being out of business. Most of the stuff that ends up needing repair is not proprietary but comes from third party vendors who sell to almost all PUP brands. These folks make things like the fridge, furnace, water pump, etc. If a proprietary part must be replaced there are a couple of dealers (one of them is in Maryland) that still have a lot of Coleman parts or the part might be able to be fabricated locally.

Wildwoodflower77

Jun 10, 2012
I can't offer much advice other than to say take a look at ones that interest you, keep in mind what you've learned on the portal, and that when you find "the one", you'll know. That's how it happened for us anyway. :) Also noticed you're in Florida as I am. We didn't notice any difference in pricing, at least where we are in Central Florida, as the seasons changed. Think it's because we can camp pretty much year round here and still be comfortable unlike some other states.

Dweeb

Jul 24, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I can't get verification the recall work has been done on the Viking or not and I may not be able to see the Coleman till the w/e which it may be gone by than... I've been at this a while now and like said above and other posts, rushing into a purchase can be bad. [:!] I'll keep reading here and scanning the ads.

mnebinger

Livin' The Dream!
Jul 22, 2012
I have an '03 Coleman Sedona and have not had a hard time getting parts for it. A couple weeks ago I bought a new stab/lug wrench for it, along with the plastic C for the end of the shepherds poles.

According to the plate it is a 2002.5, but has an aluminum roof, complete with center seam.

CamL48

Super Active Member
Feb 20, 2012
You might get more directional answers if you mentioned the models you were looking at and the specific nature of the recall work you hope has been done to the Viking.

Otherwise, I assume you've arrived at what you consider to be a fair market value. For me, it was the combo of NADA, CL, and local trailers online (rvtrader, rvt, rvusa) + the same data from other parts of the country.

Generally, owners valued their trailers more than I did. And, that's what you need to figure out. What value do you put on that Viking. Every dealer I called was willing to talk price. I knew my ceiling and it was just a matter of figuring out if their floor was higher than my ceiling. I hate negotiating and dealershps as much, or more, than the next guy.

I went long distance to get mine, because the local market here is crazy.

In FL, maybe the camping season extends into October. Around here, Labor day is really it ... maybe into mid-Sept. Then, RVs either hit the selling deck or go into storage. If you can wait to the end of the season, you'll see more on the market and probabaly for better prices.

Good luck.

regis101

Feb 21, 2011
Drink two cocktails and buy it in the morning.
Jump in, the water's fine.
And you and and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking.
And the band played on,