Pre-Purchase Roof/Maintenance Question

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by JunkyBurrittos, Sep 3, 2019.

1. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Hi all,

After dreaming of hybrids for years I just managed to sell my PUP for a fair price and find a screaming deal on a 2013 Shamrock 19 that has only been used twice, with septic and appliances never used!

The unit appears pristine and I can’t see or smell any evidence of any type of water damage. I just have no way to get up to the roof and honestly don’t know what I’d be looking for if I could get up there.

I do know that he has not taken the measures to reseal the roof and that it’s been sitting uncovered in NH winters because he read about the issues of campers generating mold when covered. He has had the dealer come out each year to winterize so I know the unit hasn’t been totally neglected but it hasn’t been moved or used.

I don’t even know — are the roofs on Shamrocks and Roos fiberglass or rubber? Should I be able to walk around on it?

I have a deposit down as I absolutely would have lost this at this price if I had not done so, but am I a chump for not bribing a fireman to come bring me a ladder or something?

These folks seem honest and took a long long time to show me everything but it was obvious they just never built up any workable knowledge on the unit

I do know the tires are probably an issue and am considering towing directly to a tire place in their neighborhood before taking the two hour haul home.

Any sage advice? Thank you!

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Most likely a rubber roof, I'll go with "NO" it is not a walk-able roof, but this can be verified by calling the manufacture or by finding some original sales brochures from 2012/2013 for that specific model.

JunkyBurrittos likes this.
  3. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I have a 2011 Starcraft 187tb hybrid. I've been on the roof several times to clean the leaves off, cleaning and maintenance. If it has an air conditioning unit on the roof, then its usually walkable (someone has to install the a/c along with the roof vents and assorted other stuff). My roof looks like it is a fully adhered sheet of either TPO or EPDM (both commonly called "rubber roofs"). You don't really have to do much to the roofs other than make sure there are no rips/tears and that the dicor caulking around vents and where it terminates at the edges is still good. I go up and wash the roof once a year with a gentle soap and brush just to get the dirt and tree sap off. They should last longer than the age of the unit you are looking at. I inspected the roof of my rv before I bought it as it was 6 years old at the time. Wouldn't hurt to look at it. Check for rips, tears, any abnormalities etc. It should be securely glued to the underlayment, should not have any wrinkles, and is normally one full sheet without any seams.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Not my Outback.. But easy to do any sort of maintenance on the roof, just gently place a board on the roof from sidewall to sidewall and sit on it.. Installed two roof vent covers this way and re did the sealant around the vents, ac unit, fridge vent, stack pipe and antennas..

5. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Donna, the Shamrocks are just a twin to the Rockwood Roos. They have a rubber roof, and you can walk on them. I would definitely get up there and check out the seals and caulking, if nobody ever has. At minimum, I would do a good cleaning and conditioning on it. Can't wait to see it in Vermont.

6. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

THIS^^^^^^^
    Yes it's a rubber roof. Can't you take a ladder? If you don't have one, you'll still need one to do roof maintenance, so might as well buy one.
    You at least need to check the caulking along the roof membrane edges.
    The front and back ends of the roof(over the bunk ends) are NOT walkable.

7. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

As Shelmily said it is what most people consider a rubber roof, but as an added benefit in 2013 Rockwood actually used TPO which is better than rubber. It has a 12 year membrane warranty on it and literally all you have to do to the membrane itself is clean it with a mild soap, water and medium bristle scrub brush. Someone should be on the roof every 90 days, ish, checking the sealant. There is likely a sticker on the side by the entry door stating this. Don't panic that they haven't. I am 250 pounds and was on my roof of my Roo frequently with no issues. Don't panic if it seems to give a little under you, it likely won't collapse. . You can even do a good cleaning from a 8-10 foot step ladder if you feel safer that way. But, all that said, you do want to get up there and check that lap sealant for cracks or pinholes or worse sooner than later. Also, before you buy, make sure you drop both beds and make sure there hasn't been any water intrusion past the bunk end seals. A 13 should have the sealed canvas which is very nice, but it doesn't make a water leak any less important

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Very few roofs aren't walkable. The MFG's recommend the roof be inspected at least twice a year. You are checking for cracks and pin holes in the sealant

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just bought a TT also, i bought 8 tubes of dicor. I will reseal the ends, etc. I figure for the price i got mine, its worth a reseal. Definitly check for rips, etc. and water on the inside. I would think if he has a compony come out and winterize it, he probably took good care of it.

10. JunkyBurrittos

Great idea! Thank you!

11. JunkyBurrittos

Hi Mike! Yes I was looking specifically for a Roo and so when I stumbled upon this I knew it was really a Kangaroo in a Leprechaun costume and that the quality should be good, relatively speaking, and knock on wood.

Hmmm now that you mention it I seem to recall a story about you on your roof. :rolleyes:[LOL][LOL][LOL]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. JunkyBurrittos

Hi BikenDan,
    The problem is that this is a two hour drive away, I can only load a six foot ladder in my TV, and I am vertically challenged. I did bring my ladder for the pick up day but there is no way I could have seen anything unless maybe I bounced on a pogo stick on the top rung. I have faith that this guy was honest if maybe not too knowledgeable about the rig, so hopefully I did good.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. JunkyBurrittos

Great info, thank you!

14. JunkyBurrittos

Spencer, your rig is beautiful!!!! I saw it on the other thread. Nicely done! There must have been contagious camper envy down on our side of the loop since we both upgraded in such a short time. Happy camping!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

We will be fine and broke , lol. I had to re buy a lot of stuff. Things that worked with the pup, seem small now. I had to up my game a bit. More relaxation, less worrying. Its a good move. And thank you.

neighbormike likes this.
  16. JunkyBurrittos

Yes I went straight from the seller’s house to the tire shop before even driving home so yeah I’m super broke already! I’m finding the opposite actually... my pup had such a ridiculous amount of storage that even though I’m five feet longer I’m going to have to pare down substantially. Not a bad thing though if I’m trying to keep tow weight down.

Sjm9911 likes this.