Precooling Refrigerator using household power

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by TravelingAggie, Oct 17, 2019.

1. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie New Member

Did a little research but I couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering if its safe to use a dogbone adapter to connect my 30 amp PUP to a standard household outlet to precool the refrigerator before we leave on a trip so i dont have to pack a cooler and can pack it in the camper before we leave the house?

2. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

You betchya. I run the fridge, radio and everything else off my house outlet overnight and while we load up. The only thing you need to be careful with is running the A/C.

Rusty2192 and Raycfe like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I do it with my TT frequently.

4. TravelingAggie

No plans on running the AC while plugged in. Just trying to avoid packing the food in Ice. Does the fridge typically stay cool till you get to the campsite? We only go about 3 hours to our farthest campsite typically.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I do that all the time. The fridge will stay cool enough on a 3 hour trip unless it's very hot outside. I put these in the fridge along with the food and things stay cold.

6. rjhammetter

Okay well I've heard mixed things about A/C. It's not that you can't, but old houses may not have wiring up for the task, and you may trip breakers. Good post about it here. I've never tried, but plan to starting next summer.

Re: traveling after pre-cooling - there are <ahem> rumors floating around <ahem> that you can switch to propane for the drive <ahem>.

7. TravelingAggie

The cooler shocks aren’t a bad idea. I assume you could use just about any ice packs and they would work similarly. We haven’t found the need yet to run the AC when we aren’t camping. The only time we would have it up besides camping would be at the in-laws where we store it and that would be for general packing/unpacking and maintenance.

8. TravelingAggie

Also would I be able to lift and lower the PUP using the power lift system while it’s plugged into the house?

9. rjhammetter

You betchya. Never any issues when I did with mine.

10. xxxapache

I run my TT AC on a 15a circuit often. One location is my garage. Another is a campground I use twice year . The only precaution I take is to turn the AC off before using the microwave. I have never tripped a breaker.

I use a voltage monitor at the outlet that will cut power due to low voltage and also keep a digital gauge plugged in a kitchen outlet so I can see what the voltage is.

rjhammetter likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Actually it is a problem with the ac units.. they draw lots of power (amerage) on start up, and can trip breakers even in new houses.. since most houses the standard outside or garage breaker is on 15amps.. If the ac unit doesn't get the amperage it needs it can trip the breaker and or burn out the compressor.. This is why many folks specially with larger trailers will install a "hard start capacitor" to help the unit start on a 15amp circuit.

Do it all the time on my trailer.. the design of some trailers don't allow for thiss as the flame blows out.. my trailer fridge has an auto ignitor so if the flame does blow out, it will automatically restart the flame..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    rjhammetter and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I am doing it 'right now' as we speak as we are planning to take a trip tomorrow! It is cooling the fridge and I will leave it like this overnight, until I start sometime in the afternoon.

I also ran the AC (not now, in Aug when it was warmer) for couple of hours to show my pop up to my neighbor and friends after I bought it, didn't have any issues, though...

13. TravelingAggie

That’s what I’ve done as well. Went out and bought an adapter and have it plugged into the house. Luckily I live in maryland and it’s already in the 50s today so it should be nice and cold by the time I pick it up from the in-laws house tomorrow haha

Camper054 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes on the fridge and other stuff. If you want ac , just run the ac and the lights if there leds at most on a dedicated 20 amp. As stated the ac compresser can burn out. I dont want to take that chance. Fridge, plus other stuff on a 20 amp outlet is fine , just make sure the extention cord you use is rated for the higher volts. Most problems are that other stuff is run on the circuits, thats why the house breaker trips. Dedicated 20 amp outlets will run most everything, just not all at once!

Camper054 likes this.
  15. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

TravelingAggie, Also check to see if your frig is a three way that can switch to 12 volt while you are on the road.

Camper054 likes this.
  16. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I also run my Refrig on home shore power, (20 Amp circuit) for precooling. I have also run the A/C on home power when working inside during summer months. I raise and lower the top frequently while plugged in to shore power. It actually provide strong 12 volts DC current to the battery, which runs the electric winch.

Camper054 likes this.
  17. Braol

Braol New Member

On my first trip after precooling the fridge at home I didn't run the fridge on the drive. It was less than 2 hours and it went from 36 degrees up to 41-42. This trip I ran it off the truck and it stayed under 40.

18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

My camper spends it's time at home plugged into a 15 amp circuit.
    I've never had trouble running the fridge or using the power lift while plugged in.
    You can also freeze bottles of water and put in the fridge for the drive.

I'm lazy, I just use a cooler.

19. xxxapache

Or just use propane on the road

Snow and Econ like this.
  20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Providing the wind doesn't blow the flame out.. you'll have to experiment. .