Preferred plug in heater

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by anothersmith, Nov 24, 2019.

1. anothersmith

anothersmith Member

Do you have a preferred plug in heater? Would be interested to hear what you use.

we have propane heater but it’s pretty loud and kicks in a lot when we winter camp.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I prefer oscillating tower heaters. Lasko is a common brand. I don't like the radiator style heaters, others love them.

One thing I definitely recommend is a remote controlled heater. So nice to be able to switch it on and off, higher or lower, while still in bed.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Holmes oscillating ceramic tower heater with remote control.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. davido

davido Active Member

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

We use a small ceramic heater. We sit it on the stove top. It heated the Apache well and now does a good job in a 25 ft TT.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I use the small profile oil filled heaters... Set on a number three setting... Can set my 10-inch battery O-2cool fan behind it if I need to move some heat...

If we have shore power I like to run an extension cord to the propane heater from the 20AMP Service connection on the pedestal. This doesn't take away any power from the 30AMP Service connection...

I like the idea of no visible flame or red hot core for my small popup trailer... To me it is safety thing...

You can get more instant heat using one of those visible core heaters but this low profile oil filled heater is my pick of the lot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Google images

The on-board propane furnace is way to much heat for the small floorplan of my POPUP trailer.. It runs us out of the trailer big time... The furnace fan is also a big drain for the battery...

Only will use the Propane Furnace if the temps gets really cold...

We like getting under the covers to keep warm all night... I added two foot stick down carpet squares to the bunk beds flooring. This helps a lot... When camping off grid which is our normal camping mode we also have a MR BUDDY heater to use during the evening hours. Never runs over night unattended,,,...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

This is what we use!

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The first small electric space heater we used in our popups drove us nearly crazy - far worse than the furnace once we had one. (First pup had no furnace, second one did.) It had a dial temperature adjust, and seemingly a hair trigger thermostat, so would cycle on/off/on/off very quickly. Once we got one with a digital setting, it was much better. Ours is a short, wide, tower, with optional oscillation; Honeywell brand. We used it in the second popup to supplement the furnace if we had power, as we do in the TT. (It also helps with the cold corner there, the bathroom blocks the air from reaching it as well; in the summer we use a fan to help keep that corner cooler.)
    We have one of the electric radiators, which we use to keep the TT cabin above freezing when it's not fully winterized, before our last trip of the year. It works well, but is a pain to work around in the limited floor space, so we won't use it on a trip. We were packing the trailer yesterday, and unplugged the radiator and moved it out of the way just to do that.
    We must be used to hearing a furnace, we have forced air heat at home, and were used to it in our childhood homes. Neither pup nor TT furnace has bothered either of us. I notice the furnace running in the night even less now, since I use a white noise machine to mask my tinnitus.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    NMroamer likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also use the ceramic heater and have my furnace kick on if the ceramic can't keep up. My first ceramic heater always had a rattle but my new one does not. Anti tip feature and too hot sensor is a great safety feature. I have to plug it in on the AC circuit as the other circuit trips if I turn it on higher than low. Or I slip a cord out to the power post via the bunkend. Although very cautious about using it on an extension cord.

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Given abundant power, I would go with a Lasko oscillating heater with a thermostat and remote. The oscillating feature does a great job circulating air around a camper, and the thermostat will kick it off should it get too warm. Make sure you get one with anti tipover shutoff safety switch in case someone, or something knocks it over at night.

If the unit is the same as https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Os...Heater-with-Remote-Control-Grey-5790/26536460 there is a certain amount of noise but just a touch more than a residential ceilnig fan.

If you desire absolute silence, once they are warmed up, the oil filled radiators are tough to beat for electric units, or gas or propane catalytic heaters as long as you provide sufficient make up air for the oxygen use. The Mr. Heater Buddy heater is a popular option, although not completely silent, it is very quiet with the only sound once started being the flicker of the pilot light flame

For me, I have a preference for the Coleman fuel appliances, I guess I am just old school. I like using my old Coleman white gas heaters, once they are going that is. However no thermostatic control, so if you get too hot, open a vent up a bit more to let heat out, or snuff it out completely...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  11. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

12. txballer

txballer New Member

Vornado is what we have used and it works great.

13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of those Vornado heaters. My wife used one at her desk on her old job. They kept the office like a meat locker.

14. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

we just finished a short stint on shore power (at the relatives) and used a ceramic heater - very effective, and quiet when things are warmed up. When n ot on shore power, we use the built-in Furnace.

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

This is what we do. Where you place the heater will determine how often the propane furnace kicks on.

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We have started changing our electric heater from one 1500 watt heater to several small personal 300-400 watt electric heaters with digital thermostats. It keep a more even temperature across the camper.

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer to use the furnace because it doesn't take up floor or counter space. We do however take a 1500 watt milk house heater for backup. They are fan forced, don't make much noise, and no annoying red glow.

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Saw some the other day that plug directly into the outlet with no cord that were I think 450 watt. Started to buy one to try, but passed.

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Mine plug into the outlet. We bought one 2 years ago. Used it and liked it. This year we bought another.

We leaven them plugged into the outlet when packed up and traveling.

We have been out camping for the last 3 weeks and they are working great.