Premium gas?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by ham fam, Sep 21, 2021.

1. ham fam

ham fam Member

How important is it to run premium fuel when hauling your popup camper?

2. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

Depends on your vehicle. I have a F-350. It runs fine on 87 octane, but manual recommends 91 or higher for best performance in hot weather, or while towing.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I always use the same as any other time, regular. Have never had a problem. If you always use premium then keep doing so.

4. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Run what is recommended for your vehicle. Best not to try to outsmart the engineers on this one.

Michael J, fronsm, theseus and 4 others like this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Regular here. I don't stop if there is a tanker at the station refilling the station tanks.

Michael J, SheaLoner and kcsa75 like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Use whats recomended as stated. Higher octaine equalls higher temps and can damage certain motors. And some stuff needs the higher octaine / temps to run well or you will damage the motor. You shouldn't change fuel based of towing.

Michael J and fronsm like this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Only things that get the expensive gas in my house hold are the ATV's , snowblowers (yes there are 2 of them), lawn tractor all get the premium gas every other gas can and the chainsaw which has 1gal. gas can (premium gas) mixed with oil.

Other then that, all the vehicles are running the cheap gas..

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have a car and 2 motorcycles that require premium. I have a boat that requires 88 octane. It gets 89 at one fill up and 87 at the next. The other road vehicles get 87 towing or not.

One of my trucks has language in the owners manual that says it requires 87 minimum, but may perform better with 91 when towing in hot weather. I have tried a tank of premium while towing. I got no better mileage and saw no performance difference. That tank is 48 gallons. It gets the cheapest I can find.

I keep ethanol free on hand for the ATV and all my small engines. Sometimes it is 87. Sometimes it is 90.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Michael J likes this.
  9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

My ecoboost gets better mileage with premium

wusthof likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

The eccobost requires premium? At least the new ones do. It gets better power, as it burns hotter. It has to do with what the engien is made of i think. So, some stuff cant handle the hotter burns , and some can. I wouldn't use it in small engiens. But thats up to you. Onky reguler in the lawn tractor, snow blowers, leaf blowers etc, all are 15 to 20 years old except for the tractor( didn't need it before the new house). And never a problem.

xxxapache likes this.
  11. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

There seems to be some misconception here. Higher octane is actually contains less power than lower octane.
    Octane can be thought of as how likely it is to self detonate. The higher the number, the less likely it will self detonate. Lower numbers are less controllable.
    Engine knock is the fuel combusting before it was supposed to. Sometimes it's minor, sometimes its major. Minor knocks can be handled by modern engines by retarding the timing (and variable valves in some). But reducing the timing reduces the power output.
    By using premium fuel, the engine computer can advance the timing knowing that the fuel won't combust on its own prematurely in the cylinder as it's injected, and only goes off when the spark plug sparks.
    I only ran premium in situations or vehicles that needed it. Otherwise it's just good ol regular. Higher altitudes can get away with lower octane as well. The only vehicles which really benefitted from higher octane was a turbo engine.

TrentM79, TSQ, Strawhouse and 3 others like this.
  12. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

You can run regular on the eco boost. It just lowers engine power output.

Ethanol has Lower power density then regular fuel. Sometimes and in some areas 91 octane does not contain ethanol. This leads to some people having higher mpg (though it had nothing to do with octane but that of the lack of ethanol). Ethanol is evil. Look at the mpg of e85 cars ..

SheaLoner and Raycfe like this.
  13. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Thanks Patrick w. This was starting to go that direction of cheap/expensive to lead folks to believe it’s a high/low quality comparison. They are different formulas resulting in different timings (and ethanol content, somewhere - but I don’t know the regions where that does/doesn’t apply).

Also variable valve timing is both common and brilliant!

14. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

You are quite right. High octane gas was created for high compression engines to prevent the fuel from igniting prematurely. It is actually an inhibitor and in the old days was to prevent knock or engines running after shut off.

1380ken likes this.
  15. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

GASP :eek:

You can't surely be insinuating that 90 Octane being branded "Premium" at a higher cost would just be a marketing trick to make you spend more?

And don't call me Shirley.

davekro, Othelzer and Patrick w like this.
  16. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I have no problem running lower octane in my truck...Every so often i will fill it with 91 premium.
    I dont fill up with anything that has ethanol in it...If it says contains 10% ethanol in it i go to another option.
    Its hard on seals gaskets and hoses over time....Prolly not a big deal to those who trade in a car every few yrs.
    But my TV is with me for the long haul and higher miles.

17. Sjm9911

We dont have that option in NJ. Have never sceen ethanol free gasoline since they decided to add it.

RonDad and silvermickey2002 like this.
  18. xxxapache

I have 2 vehicles from the 70's, 2 from the 80's, two from the 90's, a 2000 and a 2019, plus a 1985 boat. Never had a fuel issue caused by ethanol. They all have the original fuel lines, except the boat. I changed it a couple of years ago when I added a water separator....Marine fuel lines ain't cheap, either.

sherpa and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. Sjm9911

It does gum up the smaller engien carbs. But thats why i add fule injector claener to the cars 1x a year , and to all the small engien gas.

20. xxxapache

Fortunately, I can buy ethanol free at one or two places in town. I buy it for small engines. Even, then I still empty them or turn the petcock off and let them run dry.

My Mustang hasn't been driven 5k miles in over 25 years. Most of that time it had had ethanol in it. I try to add Stabil annually. I just started using ethanol free in in a few years ago when it became easier to get.

Sjm9911 likes this.