privacy curtain

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by klhayes77, Jun 19, 2009.

1. klhayes77

klhayes77 New Member

Has anyone ever put in a privacy curtain.Me my wife and our three boys go camping together. Her only real complaint is she has nowhere to change with any privacy.So has anyone added a privacy curtain and if so i would love to see some pictures.So i could try to put one in for her.

[PUC][TV]

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If there is a plastic channel on the front and rear roof boards, thats were the factory curtains go. If not... use a shower curtain tension rod... will work also.

3. TheWunders

TheWunders Parkville, Maryland

I just yell out "I'm changing!" and the kid replies "Thanks for the warning!" then disappears. [:D]

4. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

I agree. A shower tension rod or a shower twist lock rod would be the easiest solution for hanging a privacy curtain in an area that will allow someone to stand up and change clothes. To really make it simple you could use a cloth or vinyl shower curtain for your privacy.

5. bill623

bill623 Just a OLE Farmer tent camped for 40 years

Go to Lowes and get a 10 foot conduet cut to size cap with chair leg caps then curitan and rings for a dollar each at the dollar Total $3.75 and you can move anyyplace in the camper...oh 1/2 pipe ......it works

6. jenmel

jenmel Hudson Valley, NY

I installed privacy curtains on each side last year. There's a track over the bunk end of each bunk that I slipped the hardware into. I bought curtain hardware at the camper store. I bought 2 different kinds, and both would have fit.

Here's one of the ones I bought, and could have used:
    http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts/product.php?productid=2074

I can't find a picture of the other hardware (the one I used) online. They're on a long tape, so they were really easy to sew on, but much more expensive because they were by the yard.

I have to make a new set this week, as mice enjoyed chewing my ones from last year! :(
    Just one side of the camper, thankfully, but I got fabric this week at JoAnn Fabrics for $1.50 a yard.

I totally understand your wife's need for a little privacy when camping - with us, I'm the only "girl" (we only have 2 boys), that's about all I get!!

7. jenmel

jenmel Hudson Valley, NY

Oh, I forgot, if you click on the camera thing on the left, and click on my Spring 2008 mods thing, you'll see the curtains I made. They're pretty basic, but they worked great. The new ones I will make this week are a different color, but such is the way things go...

8. Mrs_P

Mrs_P Claremore, OK

Would a shower tension rod go across the entire box? from side door to back wall? how long do the shower tension rods go? Because if that would work it would be a easy mod, but I am wondering if they would stretch that far?

Thanks in advance,

9. Daduv3Boys

Daduv3Boys American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!

My pup is only 7ft wide. I am pretty sure that a curtain rod would fit finr in that space.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you can not find one long enough, just add some plastic tube as spacers to the ends

11. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

They should. Our pup is 7'+ (I think a few inches) and the previous owners had used th curtain rods. We took them out.
    When it's time to change you either change in front of everyone or you can ask everyone to exit for a minute or two.

Are you thinking of putting the curtains in the middle of the pup?

Ours were next to the beds and it is just to much of a hasle to try and change in the beds compared to standing in the middle of the pup.

12. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

What I did to hold a privacy curtain was to get some adhesive cup hooks from the hardware store (the ones that have a 2" diameter base with 2 sided tape on them) and stick them on the ceiling across the camper. Then I got a heavy shower curtain and rings from the dollar store. When I use the curtain I just hang it up. Be sure the hooks have been in place over night before you hang anything from them.

13. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

We use heavy duty binder clips to attach curtains to the door-storage rail in our Coleman. I'm sure if you look around you'll see something you can hang a few curtain from!

14. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

For the most part it looks like actual shower curtain rods only go to 72 inches, but they do make tension curtain rods that go to 84+ inches.

Another option, maybe a bit off the wall, is to get a telescopic pole like they have for putting nets on for cleaning pools.

15. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

One more idea. You can make your own privacy curtain rod out of some PVC pipe. Get two sizes, so one will fit inside the other and cut them so when they are fully extended you have 3-4 inches of pipe left inside. Then use a hose clamp on the smaller pipe and tighten it down right next to the opening of the larger pipe. This will keep the poles apart, the walls will keep them from spreading. When you pack up loosen the clamp and shorten the poles for easier storage.