Private Sale Deposit?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Raeleen Davis, Jun 10, 2021 at 4:26 PM.

1. Raeleen Davis

Raeleen Davis New Member

Hi! I'm looking to purchase a 2001 Jayco Eagle of FB Marketplace. It looks like it needs some work on the lift system, but we came to an agreed upon price before I've had a chance to look at it. The seller is in the process of getting a new camper, but the loan hasn't been approved and he doesn't want to sell the camper before getting the new one because he already has some camping sites booked with his family.
    He lives about 90 minutes away and was willing to have us come out to look at it or do a video walk through. My husband doesn't want to drive all that way to look at it and then go out there again to pick it up in the future, so he'd prefer the video walk-through. The seller offered to do a purchase agreement and small deposit if we liked it so it can't be sold under us (which has happened to us already). However, I'm not sure if a deposit is a normal thing or scam-ish? His FB profile seems legit and he seems like a regular nice person, but I don't want to be taken advantage of because we've never bought a camper before.
    I appreciate any feedback from those who are more experienced. And appreciate you reading all of this! :)

TL;DR: is a deposit to hold a camper on a private sale typical or a scam?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 4:42 PM
  2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

if its not for sale NOW ignore this camper. I had that happen to me with an auto - the "seller" wasted my time.

TheBlurb, Chris I, momofEAP and 5 others like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Also if there is already something wrong with the lift look that unit over very very very carefully. Too easy for a seller to hide a lift problem if your not there watching or better yet cranking yourself. I will tell you now that if there is a lift problem you may be stuck working on it yourself as my experience RV shops will turn you down flat or quote an exaggerating price way way over what the unit is worth. Also I agree to not agree on anything until that unit is free and clear and you have looked it over top to bottom. Way too easy for sellers to lie, angle photos to make the unit look way better than it is. Print out a checklist, you can find one on here when you look it over. Buying a popup is extremely frustrating and you may be cranking a ton of miles on your car but you want to know 100% of what your getting into.

momofEAP, xxxapache and Raeleen Davis like this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I agree with the above. Ask the owner to contact you when he's ready to sell and keep looking. And make sure he has a clean title before handing over any money.

Sjm9911 and Raeleen Davis like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Agreed with all. Tell him to call you when hes reasy to sell it. Then go and look at it with the money in hand. If you dont like it in person dont buy it. If you do like ot pay them and take it with you. Who knows when or if it will go on sale? Dont let people hold your money on a maybe.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Nope

Raeleen Davis likes this.
  7. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member Gold Supporting Member

another thing that I find odd about this is, he's waiting for loan approval? From my experience with loans is that approval normally takes less than 30 minutes. Does it really take days to get approval? Something doesn't sound right.

8. Raeleen Davis

Raeleen Davis New Member

Thanks, everyone, for your input. The market is hot right now, so I think I have a bit of a scarcity mindset and was willing to look past some red flags/gut feelings. But you've reaffirmed my initial thought that once he's ready to sell, to see it in person and really look it over closely, and then purchase. I really appreciate your help! Hopefully we can find a good pup soon!

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

And I’d never buy a camper with a lift issue. It’s not a pup if you can’t raise the roof

10. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Run....Forest....RUN.................

11. Raeleen Davis

Raeleen Davis New Member

Quick update, in case anyone was wondering. Found a good deal on a 2001 Coleman Utah that pops up and down. :) Now just working on cleaning it and making sure we have everything for our first test trip. Also, waiting around to get a plate and title transfer, since that takes forever in MI. Should've scheduled the SOS appt before even trying to find a popup, it seems.

Thanks for all the great input and I'll be looking forward to learning a lot more from everyone here!

12. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you get online at 8 am and noon, you can sometimes snag a same day or next day appointment. It took my wife three days of checking, but she did end up with a same day.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

congratulations. I love my Utah but do read up on the whiffletree system lift so you know how to keep it Maintained. Every season you will need to grease the system, spray the pullies etc so that everything runs smooth. Also a saying to remember when using the slide out, “First in-last out, except for the canvas” canvas stays out until all beds have been pushed in. Trust me you will save yourself a lot of headaches if you remember that.

Clemens, bdr129 and Raeleen Davis like this.
  14. bdr129

bdr129 Member

I have a Coleman Utah and definitely second jmkay1! Before taking it out, make sure you grease the wiffletree and lubricate the pulleys and crank assembly, and wipe down the cables. You will be surprised how much easier it is to crank up when it is properly lubricated. Also make sure you check the brakes, and bearings and repack if necessary. When I got mine the previous owner didn't even know what electric brakes were, so they were rusted fast, and the bearings were bone dry. Don't want you heading out on the first trip and running into issues... :)