Pro propane tank instillation photos (Not!)

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Arlyn Aronson, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

When we picked up our new to us (NTU?) camper this past fall, the fellow we bought it from told us he had the installation of its camper parts, at a nearby pro camper location. Not per say a gas station or a repair shop, but the camper retailer. These photos are the holes drilled to install the propane tank holder. What a stink-en mess! They're not even in aliment with each other. I'd taken the tank holder off to fit it and found this.

I'll need to get it into the weld shop this fall and weld fish plates across the bottom and top. Gee whiz!
    P1060880.jpg

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell, the battery box is usally by the front. Just put a washer on it. At least the holes will shift a bit for you to make it fit[:D]

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

And weld a "L" channel or two across the top to hold the propane tank and battery.

xxxapache likes this.
  4. Arlyn Aronson

I've already rebuilt the tank carrier and I'll post a picture of it soon.. We do not carry a 12 volt battery with us. The ideas was to lower the tank since it hit the jack handle, plus I widened it since moving tanks in and out of it, was a wrestling contest. [:(!] While doing that, I also made it fit onto the A frame. Stay tuned for details.

megcabra, nineoaks2004 and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Arlyn Aronson

Here is my new P tank carrier. I see its already got dirty from sitting under our porch! [:(!] We'll not installed it until this fall, when camper heat is more applicable. [8D] I made it to match the holes the pro shop had drilled. Of course when I took the 3/4 plywood they had installed off, I noted all the "extra" holes. My new tank carrier was lowered a bit and is now closer to the trailer, so hopefully striking the jack handle, more avoidable. What do you think?

P1070015.jpg P1070016.jpg P1070017.jpg P1070019.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    FARfetched, hq308 and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

That looks better than the factory installation on my last TT. :)

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  7. Arlyn Aronson

Thank you for your kind words... Now I know someone appreciates my amateur work..

8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I wouldn't blame the "pro camper guys" too much.

The factory installed my propane and battery box on the wrong sides. The Positive lead has no slack in it.

9. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

You fabricated that yourself? (bowing down towards the NE!)

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  10. Arlyn Aronson

Thanks Be-Ce! I "sorta" built it. The camper outfit who set this camper up must have purchased a generic tank holder and added it, but it didn't quite fit so they installed it on a piece of 3/4 plywood. That made it too tall, and to close to the jack handle, plus the tank holder was overly tight fitting on the tanks, so getting them in and out was terrible. Guuuuurrrrrr [XX(] With all these little shortcomings, I decide to redo the hole thing. I bent the tank holding band wider, as I welded it back together on that new base plate.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Be-Ce likes this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

OK, A little update on my "new and improved" tank holder. We camped over the weekend and the cooler temps promoted me to install the tank holder and a propane tank, so we could use the internal heater. In the top photo, you can see the reinforcing plate I added to the frames bottom. In the lowest photo, you can see the jack handle just barley clears the tank. As we hooked up to the trailer, we spun the jack handle and forgot it used to strike the tank. What an improvement!

P1080392.jpg P1080393.jpg P1080394.jpg P1080399.jpg

Be-Ce, Tom Jordan and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Nice work, on both the reinforce and modded tank holder. Like the heavy duty, high leverage latch.

13. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

I’ve never been jealous of a tank holder, until today. I was just looking at mine yesterday thinking that I need a mod that allows me to take the tank out the side when the bunk end is out.

14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Not sure if I would trust that latch. I am sure it is fine, I am just paranoid.

15. Arlyn Aronson

This tank mount was purchased and installed at the trailer company. It was purpuse built for 20lb tanks but must be made for generic use when you'd like to add a propane tank to something. Nonetheless, it was made to small so getting tanks in and out was like lifting weights in the gym. While putting a new base on it, I was able to open it up a bit which made it much more user friendly.