Probably silly question about keeping food inside PUP

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by faitheroo, Jul 7, 2015.

1. faitheroo

faitheroo New Member

So I have what might seem like a silly question - growing up, my family always had a travel trailer, and since I was an adult, I've tent camped a great deal, every summer for about 15 years.

So, I've gotten into the habit of keeping foodstuffs either inside the car, or if no car was available, bearbagging it or otherwise securing it from animals. We are diligent about no food ever in or near the tent.

We just bought a used PUP, and our first trip will be in 2 weeks. Is it unsafe to consider storing our cooler and dry food stuffs inside the PUP, since it's really just a tent on wheels?

2. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

I don't, but it's primarily due to mice.

No food or eating in the camper for us.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

As you indicate, I also am extremely strict about food in a tent or popup. To me a popup is a tent. We mostly camp in bear territory so I am accustomed to following bear protocol.
    No food in the popup PERIOD.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We basically treated the pup as though it were a glorified tent on wheels. While we occasionally cooked simple meals inside, or had breakfast bread in a box inside (not in bear country), we still kept the cooler and dry foods in the TV. Actually not a huge decision for us, since our pups were both small and there really wasn't space to store a lot of food inside.
    We now have a TT, and we still keep most of our dry foods in the TV, we still don't have space to keep them inside.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I keep our food in a grub box (cooler with a hasp and lock installed), in fact all my coolers that I take camping have hasps and locks, not for bears as we have very few here in my area, but to keep the coons out and the food in also by not leaving food in you are not giving the ants and other bugs a chance to get things started in the PUP, i usually cook outside, but if the weather is bad I do cook inside but we clean everything up completely after eating

6. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

7. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

We keep food in our pup when we camp. We even sometimes cook and eat in the pup (in bad weather).

Living in PA, we camp mostly in the Northeast US where there are plenty of black bears. We've seen bears but have never had a problem with them nearby.

Hopefully we don't became a cautionary tale for anyone. I did see the recent story of the black bear breaking into a camper with people in it.

We should probably change this practice but probably won't.

8. tombiasi

Good luck.

9. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

Thanks! Yeah, I get that it's not smart. I did try to convince my DH to start keeping food in the TV but that didn't work at all. If you can't beat em...join em. Hopefully I won't be joining him in some bear's claws or belly.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Age-old tent and backpacking rule: Never cook or eat where you sleep. A PUP is a tent and you don't store food or cooking equipment in it, nor do you prepare food, eat or clean up in it if you want to minimize the chance of having animal problems. These things should be done outside, as far away from the PUP as the size of the site will allow.

Also, it's not just things like spills or crumbs; it's odors that get into the tenting, mattresses, upholstery, etc. You can't smell them but animals with noses hundreds or thousands of times more sensitive than a human's can, from miles away.

Take this advice from someone who has had a bear visit his tent in the middle of the night. It was in the Sangre de Christo Mountains of northern New Mexico back in the early '70s. We cooked at a table over 100 feet from the tent but it started to rain when we started eating. We went to the tent and ate inside. We spilled nothing. When we were done it stopped raining so we cleaned everything out at the table and stored it in the car. That night a bear showed up and poked its head against the tenting while sniffing around. Fortunately it left after a few minutes (although that period seemed like hours). It was a close call that could have ended badly and I vowed to never again break a rule that I had known and followed since childhood.

11. tombiasi

12. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

I actually learned this at an early age too as I grew up in a camping family of 7. We even had a seasonal tent site for a few summers. Now that's living!

And I had certain rules imprinted on my brain by my father regarding safety and civility when in nature. We NEVER had food in our tents. We had a large mess tent that was used for meals and food was kept in metal chuck boxes in the truck.

But here I am at 45 with food in my camper. My dad is rolling in his grave. At least I still don't walk through others' sites or shine my flashlight in the air.

Ok, ok...I will try to work on DH again to use the TV for food.

13. samh

samh Campin'

Where I live it would be downright stupid to keep food and trash inside a tent trailer. We don't even cook in it (other than boiling water). Too many bears 'round these parts to be taking that chance.