problem? Please need advice on anti sway bar kit for my 2002 Coleman Utah

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Vilinsky88, Mar 26, 2021.

1. bdr129

bdr129 Member

Vilinsky88 - I have a 2002 Coleman Utah, and had a lot of sway also. I tried redistributing weight, adding a friction sway control on it, and still had a lot more sway than I wanted. I did change out the load rated C tires to load rated D and it helped a bit. I found less than 60mph it would hardly ever sway, anything over 65mph and if the road was rough it would start swaying. What I found ultimately "cured" the sway was when I flipped the suspension from underslung to overslung and upsized from 13" rims to 14" rims, I have virtually no sway anymore, even at highway speeds, windy, and/or rough roads. The added benefit of also not dragging the bumper or getting hung up on any little ant hill has been very nice also. With my experience I would say the Utah is just a heavier PUP and tows kind of heavy for the overall size and weight, and seems to have a tendency to want to sway. I don't know if the slideout adds to that or what, but I sympathize with you, before I got it under control there were some uncomfortable stretches (I think AZ89 was the worst, an hour and a half of constant swaying with rough roads and high winds). Also, if you weren't aware, when the trailer starts swaying a quick correction can usually be had by a quick application of the trailer brake via the controller.

mmpopuplvr likes this.
  2. mmpopuplvr

mmpopuplvr New Member

3. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

As much as others will protest, I found with my Bayside the following reduced my sway to just about zero.

1. Load range c radials changed to Load range D bias ply.
    2. Friction sway bar
    3. Spring over axle conversion.

Between all 3 items, my sway is gone.

I should add that my water tank is behind the axle, so I never tow with water in the tank.

Sjm9911 likes this.