Problem with Coachmen Glide-n-Lock bed system

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by chola, Sep 29, 2015.

1. chola

chola New Member

I have a 2012 Coachmen Clipper 1285sst with the Glide-N-Lock bed system. I have recently started having issues with one of the bunks coming "unlocked" while deployed. When I pull the bunk out, I hear the locks engage on either side of the bed rails. However, occasionally when someone is laying in the bunk and shifts their weight, one side of the bunk unlocks, causing one rail to slide in about a foot, causing a momentary feeling of falling that frequently results in a loud scream. :)

While the cable continues to support the bed, and no one actually does fall, it certainly is unsettling. Upon inspection, I see that the plastic cap (bunk stop) on the problem bed rail has a "gouge" in it. I assume that this is providing a ramp for the pin in the bunk spring plunger latch (the pin with the little ball on it) to ride up enough to disengage, and allow the bed rail to slide back in. Inspection of all of the rest of the bunk stops shows similar wear, but without as deep of a gouge, leading me to believe that they will all eventually have the same issue.

Have any other Glide-n-lock owners had similar issues? I see that the bunk stops are available for purchase, but wonder if there is a better alternative. I see there are Bed Wedgies for Coleman owners, and am wondering if there is a similar alternative for Coachmen campers.

Also, I am wondering if someone has indeed done this repair themselves, how they went about removing the rivet that holds the bunk stop in the rail. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. chola

chola New Member

To anyone out there that might end up reading this post because of similar problems, I ended up ordering replacement bunk stops from Coachmen. You receive 4 of them, so I will have spares if I have problems with the rest of them. I ended up drilling the rivet out, starting with a small bit and working my way up until I was able to use pliers to pull the inside rivet end off. I replaced the cracked bunk stop with a new one, and instead of riveting the new bunk stop to the bed frame, I used a 3/16 x 1/2 inch binding post with screw. I got the binding post and screw at Home Depot. I believe this will be just fine, but will keep an eye on it.

Anyway, no more problems once I replaced the bunk stop!

3. SoBe

SoBe New Member

My new 1285 is doing this, I'm going to have it fixed under warranty, but I'm curious if this has been an ongoing issue once you repaired it.

4. chola

chola New Member

I have not had to replace the bunk end again. However, the binding post gave way, so I am now just using an appropriate sized screw and nut to retain the bunk end. I still have 3 spares if I need them.

5. BenL

BenL New Member

Chola where did you get the bed stops from. I have been looking for a supplier and have not had any luck. Can you provide the parts source and contact info. Have been chasing this for three months.

6. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

My cheapo and low skilled solution is a "C" shaped vice grip pliers knockoff from harbor freight. It holds the rail in the frame perfectly, and is small enough to be out of the way.

I suspect that if the first plastic cap bunk stop failed, then subsequent replacements will fail as well. Good luck with your repair though, I hope it lasts forever!

Dee L likes this.
  7. Msclipman

Msclipman New Member

Ben, I found the bunk stops for my Clipper (Forest River) from Hannarv.com. They have a good selection of pop up parts. THIS IS IMPORTANT. While I was replacing the bunk stop, I noticed the latch pin on the good side was extending further down than the bad side. The reason it slipped and caused the damage to the stop was because the pin only extends down about 1/4 inch. After comparing I discovered the difference was the knob. Heres the fix to keep if from happening again: With the beds in a few inches and the pins up, hold the pin and take the knob off. You should see about 1/2 inch of threads. Apply a drop of thread lock to the top, then screw the knob on only about half way. Now the pin should go down further. You can see the difference in the pictures. Also, I used a 1/4 X 1 inch countersunk bolt with a nylon lock nut for the bunk stop. The nut can be on the inside without hitting anything.
    IMG_3841.jpg IMG_3840.jpg IMG_3842.jpg IMG_3843.jpg

8. Guzzy

Guzzy New Member

Omg! I've been searching for an answer to this issue for 9 months!! Am so glad I found this page!

9. tjbaker72

tjbaker72 New Member

I'm not able to find this part on hannarv.com. Can someone post a direct link? Thanks!

10. Guzzy

Guzzy New Member

11. tjbaker72

tjbaker72 New Member

Guzzy, that is not the glide-n-lock part that Msclipman describes and posted pic of in post #7 of this thread. I need the housing, pin, spring and knob you can see in the pics attached to #7. I have that exact part in my 2013 Coachmen Clipper 128LS.

12. tjbaker72

tjbaker72 New Member

Actually, turns out all I need is the ball that screws into the pin as I found the pin and spring. I think I'll just try to find something at my local hardware store.

13. Guzzy

Guzzy New Member

Where were you able to find the pin and spring? I'd like to get a couple as spare backups.

14. tjbaker72

tjbaker72 New Member

The pin and spring were never lost; I found them in rattling around in one of the camper drawers. Someone in the family had the good sense to put them away for safe keeping but neglected to tell me about it!

15. travel with tea

travel with tea New Member

We've bent the housing for the pin and spring mentioned above. Has anyone found that or know what it is called so I can search for it?

Attached Files:

16. KHoss

KHoss New Member

I just bought a brand new Clipper 125st and have the problem with the glidlock becoming disengaged with the slightest bit of movement on the bed. We haven't even used the camper yet! I have to take it back to the dealer so they can find a solution for it. The issue with my glidelock is only about 1/4 of an inch catches the rail to "lock" it in place. I have a camping trip planned tomorrow so I went to HF and bought some 1" C clamps to hold the rail in place until I can get it fixed/replaced. 20210819_101735.jpg 20210819_112209.jpg 20210819_122136.jpg

17. travel with tea

travel with tea New Member

I would be curious to hear if your c clamp works as that would be a workaround til I figure out how to bend the housing back into place . Please can you post an update?

18. KHoss

KHoss New Member

Will do, I'll be back Sunday

19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Looks like a pair of Channel-locks would work.

20. KHoss

KHoss New Member

Channel locks would work great, but I don't want to mar or bend the aluminum because I have a warranty on the camper and this will be fixed by the dealer.