Problems with lift system

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Sould853, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Sould853

Sould853 New Member

I am a newbie and have a new to us 1997 Coleman Fleetwood Sun Valley. I have a hand crank system that “pops” when it is raised. It does not do that going down. I have adjusted or righted all the cables. The back end of the whiffletree would bounce when it was being raised so I think I have fixed that. The chain appears loose - I can push it together between the two sprockets easily. But if I remove a link to tighten it, I can’t get the chain back together. Just the one link removal seems to make it too short. Do I need to replace the bearing on the whiffletree? I have been doing various repairs on this camper since purchased and still haven’t used it yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am in central Texas.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png
    You maybe able to find a half link.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from lake Butler Fl. Congrats on the NTU PUP, good luck and happy camping

4. Sould853

Sould853 New Member

Thank you for the welcome. I appreciate it. Could not find a half link anywhere in town (small town) would have to order it. SO i put the chain back together, lubed it well with a dry lube so the brake pad would not get dirty or greasy. Went back and checked then tension on the cables, then greased the whiffletree as well. At this point, there is no popping, but the popping had stopped once before after I adjusted the tension on the cables and tightened the bolts holding the tail end of the whiffletree. Hopefully it will stay fixed this time. I don't like drilling out all those rivets to pull the back panel off, which is the only way to access the chain assembly!