Project: installing Charge panel and AGM deep cycle inside camper

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by geogol, Feb 18, 2018.

1. geogol

geogol New Member

Hi All,
    I have this crazy idea to be able to charge my laptop/ipad/iphones inside my camper

I want to buy 24- AGM deap cycle battery

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...p-24-agm-deep-cycle-battery-0102498p.html#srp

and hook it up to YonHan 4 in 1 Charger Socket Panel, Dual USB Socket Charger 2.1A + Blue LED Voltmeter + 12V Power Outlet
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747LK4N...4C&pd_rd_r=HN8ZBBJ4BKX4Q8KNW6SG&pd_rd_w=JRNLv

The panel will go outside on the side of the wooden bench.

Ideally, I will put it semi permanently under a seat compartment.
    Need your help please to figure out:

1) if I wire the battery permanently how will I take it out to charge? Any advice? Probably I need to install it not on a bench (on the second thought I will not be able to access the battery in closed camper postion after I come home from camping site; each time I would need to pop it up to get to the battery to charge it) i will probabley have to position it neer entrance door.)
    2)How do I hook up the battery to the panel up? There are 4 wires plus and 4 wires minus and 1 ground

3) Do I need isolate each of them.
    Where to hook up the ground?

In general is it a good idea?
    Any other ideas/comments please.

I a rookie in camping and pllaning to camp off-grid. I am not electrician. Please help! Thank you Guys!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I love those those round units and panels... Mine are rectangular and you can mount either horizon or vertical where they fit best... Then you can rotate the round meters..

Glad to see you got an ON-OFF switch as those LED readouts are very bright on my panels... Neat to be able to turn them off... Or you can leave them ON for a nice night-light...

I too got my panels from AMAZON...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

3. geogol

geogol New Member

Thanks Roy,
    What configuration of your electrical system you are running now?

4. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Lots of us have used a similar kit.

[​IMG]

My camper already had a 12v battery so I just connected to a 12v lead direct to battery.

Charging phones/tablets via USB 2.0 is easy. If you have a current USB-C powered laptop you may be able to just use a USB 2.0 to USB-C cable (depending on power requirements) or a USB-C adapter for the cigarette lighter style plug that comes with that unit.

If I were to install a 12V battery inside a camper I'd use a sealed battery to avoid fumes and install an onboard charger.

Odds are you'll wind up wanting to also have lights, etc., so you really need to think through what you really want for power inside the camper.

There are tons of threads to read here for stuff like this, so suggest you dive right in.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Two things,

I would consider putting a battery on the tongue? Save the space inside and you could use a flooded cell battery which cost a lot less??

If you are going with a AGM battery. Sam's club in the US has a group 31 AGM battery which has about 60% more amps for 176 USD. Don't know if you have access in canada to sams club??

6. geogol

geogol New Member

Thanks for sharing. Can you please upload a pic how you wired inside. What is the location of your battery. Can I tap to one of the circuits in the fuse panel and if yes which one? THANKS

7. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, I tapped into a direct line to the battery. Here is a link to wiring diagram on Amazon (which will disappear at some point)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61dZl3ODSjL._SL1196_.jpg