Promised Land State Park, PA

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by TKnecht, Oct 21, 2008.

1. TKnecht

TKnecht "Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most peo

Located in PA's Pocono Mountains, Promised Land is rural but close enough to amenities. It IS "in the woods" but it has a large, well-kept public use area, boating, fishing (for the lucky, which my buddy seems not to be...), and ample hiking.

Camping is divided into areas (e.g., Beechwood and Northwoods) with each arrea being subdivided into loops. Since it is a state park, there are many "primitive" sites (no hookups) and many sites with electric hookups. There are drinking water faucets scattered throughout the loops. The sites are coarse stone; while they are roughly leveled, many require serious unit leveling. Each site has a table, fire ring, and lantern stand, but, sometimes, the configurations are awkward. The sites are substantial, mostly, but pretty close together. There are a very few pull-through sites. For those driving or pulling longer units, be preared for some challenges: the roads through the park are narrow, two-lane blacktop, and the roads through the ccamping loops are one-way, single-lane blacktops; elevations changes can be abrupt.

BUT, all sites are under TAAALLL trees (Northern PA primarily deciduous forest), and the park officials have planted much new undergrowth. Fall is Spectacular (based on our last trip, in October, '08.) Spring is GREEEEEEEN, amazingly so. it is a treat being there!

The bathhouses (too few in my opinion; not even one per loop) are CLEAN and modern. Since there are quite a few Class Aers, it could be worse.

There are a couple of out-of-the-park bonuses: first, there are some really neat, low-key, down-home, individually-owned places to eat (think "for the locals", in some cases); second, Promised Land is located just south of PA's Rt 6, a Scenic Road. Take a drive through some of PA's past and some of PA's most scenic countryside!

Promised Land State Park isn't fancy, but it's worth the drive. Reservations are highly recommended.

Tim Knecht

2. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

2013 Update: Pickerel Point Camping Area has been totally renovated. All sites have new pea size gravel, and are fairly level. Any site would be a good one. Tent sites are cleared and nice tent pad installed. All have beautiful picnic tables and lantern posts. The roads are newly paved. There are 2 brand new full bath houses with good hot water and good pressure too and both have coin-op laundry facilities too. There is an additional restroom area on the end by the beach area. Some of the sites are even full hook-ups-electric, water and sewer!

Due to last years storms, there are fallen trees in all camping areas, which have been cleared from camping sites, but left lay for you to use as free firewood, you just have to split it. The east side of the point has more lake view sites due to the trees being less pine than the west side of the point. This loop has pet friendly sites as well.

There is a resident eagle, kayakers tell of having been swooped by the eagle when on the lakes. (It wasn't me, so I can't tell you anything more. The cabins on pickerel point are also brand new and close to the bath house.

Beechwood area camping loop has paved pads and grass in between. Sites are wide enough to park camper and TV side by side. Sites are closer together in this loop. SOme have electric. The pull through sites would be my preference, and sites along the outside along the west side.

Northwoods area: This loop was originally designed for tenters. Could do campers/pups on pull throughs and they have electric. Other preferred sites are: 431, 436, 443, 445, 455, 456, 457.

Rhododendron Area: Preferred sites: 534 &536 are sunny, 533 & 535 have afternoon shade. 539,541,542,543,544**personal fav, 550. These have electric.

Trout fishing was said to be fabulous around the dam area using fly rod or spinner bait on opening trout weekend. If wearing polarized glasses, lots of fish could be seen.

3. dwalker80

dwalker80 Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

My family and I visit Promised Land SP every year on Memorial day and Labor Day weekends. We normally stay in the Lower Lake campground area which is very nice and shaded. There are some pull through which are nice to have.

Only bad thing is some sites have no electric. But other than that it's great.

We are trying pickerel point out this year for the first time. Looking forward to camping there this year.

If your out that way on either weekend come by the campfire and tell some stories! We will be the one laughing away!!

[PUC] [PUT] [:)C] [CP] [CP]

4. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

We are going to PLSP for Memorial Day Weekend and we will be using a full hookup site. We were there for the reopening of Pickerel Point and can concur that the improvements are very nice.

We joined the Fall Paddle during that trip and we were alsô swooped by two eagles. It was great to see them up close.

There is a lot to do and see there. We are looking forward to going back.

5. Kristy0329

Kristy0329 New Member

I love Promised Land. We camped there 2 years ago, the second weekend after Pickerel Point reopened. It is so clean and nice, the lake is great. I just booked us another trip there for Labor Day weekend so if anyone else will be there that weekend, come say hi!

6. MamaK

MamaK Member

Just got back from Promised Land State Park. Stayed in the Lower Lake Campground, Rhododendron Area with electric. Park is very large and if you want to get away from it all it's a good choice. There is a recreation area with a beach, concession stands, playground, etc. (We drove by) Opportunities for fishing, boat rentals, biking, hiking and just chillaxing. Many of the sites seem to be geared toward tent campers with tent pads on them. The sites themselves are roomy enough but there's not a lot of space between them or in some cases very little to separate you from your neighbor. We were there from Sunday to Tuesday so the park wasn't that busy, at least in our area. Bathrooms were clean with hot and cold running water, free showers and a couple of dish washing stations. The restroom in our area had a family assisted shower which I did not explore. There is a local "grocery/camp" store not too far away and lots of opportunities to purchase firewood, although firewood is not available for purchase at the park. DH claims to have seen a bear, but didn't have his cell phone camera to document it. We were advised at check-in to be very bear aware and leave no food anywhere but safely stowed in our vehicle. There are areas that are pet friendly with and without electricity. I personally didn't care for the sites with paved parking feeling they were a bit too close to each other. I also noticed many businesses in the area around the park were closed and often for sale. These included restaurants, shops, a mini-golf course, ice cream stand etc. That was sad to see since this area had once been a go to destination for family vacations.

7. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Just got back from staying two nights in Promised Land in June on Pickerel Point. Very nice area of the campground, as was mentioned, modern clean bathrooms and heated. There are full hook up sites towards the far end of the point but the initial sites are just electric so if you have a water tank you want filled, fill it up before setting up. Civilian Conservation Corp Museum, Fishing, Swimming and wildlife and lake views. We are thinking of going back and spending a week there.

8. busdriverwc75

busdriverwc75 Chester County, PA

I know the feeling. Our 1st trip there was 3 days & DH said, "Let's make it for 4 next year." Our 2nd was 4 & DH said, "We need to add another day next year." Hiking, biking, swimming, & kayaking right from our campground loop. No need to drive somewhere else for water access.

9. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We'll be trying this one in July! Thanks for all the reviews :) I am looking forward to going to Promised Land SP :)