propane auto switchover question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by mdgrose, Jul 2, 2016.

1. mdgrose

mdgrose New Member

I have a 2000 Coleman Bayside with a high pressure outside stove and low pressure inside/stove. I have two propane tanks; current factory setup goes bottle->high pressure regulator->out to high pressure stove->low pressure regulator-out to low pressure stove/inside.
    I would like to add an auto changeover but the units I find like this https://www.amazon.com/Exceisior-Excelaflo-Automatic-Changeover-Regulator/dp/B00KPR9Q30
    all have a regulator attached to the changeover unit that look like the low pressure regulator I have at the bottom of my current assembly.
    So, if I replace everything I have with the new unit, it seems I won't have any way to hook up my high pressure/outside stove; if I put the new unit on top of the regulator I have at the bottom, I would have two low pressure regulators in a row.
    Help.

2. Phil913

Phil913 New Member

I'm having the same dilemma. After having to go outside at 3 AM in the cold to change over bottles on my 2002 Coleman Niagara, I'd really like the auto changeover but I'd also really like to keep the high pressure outside stove working. Hopefully someone on here can offer us some help.

3. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

no-one has been able to find a high pressure auto changeover. so if you want the auto changeover and a factory solution you are out of luck. However, if don't you mind manual changeover you can use something like what's on my Niagara, which uses a check tee. Another thing to do is reverse the order in which you use the tanks. Use the one that doesn't have the high pressure connection first. Then when it switches the stove will still work. You just have to get the empty filled quickly.

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I have looked long and hard for the “auto switch high pressure regulator”. It does not exist. It is a unicorn, leprechaun, .......
    I’m definitely not giving up my high pressure stove.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Wow, I'm glad I read this. never realized the auto change over doesn't work with my outside stove. Not getting rid of that stove so guess it's back to the drawing board.

6. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

When we bought our '98 Bayside, the outside stove propane line wasn't connected. There have been a variety of threads on this, and I ended up setting mine up similar to mstrbill, except that I purchased and connected my HP regulator and teed off of one pigtail before it connects to the auto-switchover.
    The downside is that if that tanks runs dry, no more outside stove...
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/is-an-auto-changeover-valve-necessary.107457/

7. Phil913

Phil913 New Member

I'm really wondering if I need the high pressure regulator at all. I don't plan on using the outside stove that came with the PUP. Instead, I bought a coleman roadtrip LXE grill and a hose connection that connects onto the outside stove LP connection under the trailer below the outside stove mounting bracket. The grill has its own regulator so I'm wondering if I cant use the auto changeover and run 2 separate Tees off each tank before the auto changeover into the line that feeds the outside stove connection. Any thoughts?

8. rjniles

rjniles Member

On my 2002 Coleman Cheyenne the HP regulator was teed off one of the tanks before it went to the auto change LP regulator.

9. Phil913

Phil913 New Member

I did find this little gem if anybody is interested. Instructions on how to install an auto changeover to a Coleman PUP keeping your high pressure regulator. Looks like MstrBill has it right.

Attached Files:

ezakoske likes this.
  10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Unless you use a check tee you'll still be pulling from both tanks simultaneously, and I think the secondary tank would bleed into the primary, effectively leaving you with one 40 lb tank and losing the benefit of the autochangeover.

I use a Marshall Extend-a-flow Tee attached to one tank to run my Camp Chef Everest stove. So far I've been connecting to the tank in use, and have to move it when the tank empties. If there's only a day or two left in camp I might hook up a 1 lb bottle. You could connect it to the secondary tank, but then you're pulling from both tanks again.

For perspective, we're in the last stages of a kitchen remodel and I've been using the Camp Chef, on the back porch for cooking. With pretty much the same usage we would see in camp the stove has used about half of a 20 lb tank over the last 3 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

On my 99 Coleman I just disconnected the high pressure outside stove when I installed my auto-changeover since I never used that outside stove anyway (too close to the fabric for comfort). If you really wanted to you could put a T off one of the tanks before going into the switchover.

Your outdoor stove won't benefit from switchover, but your furnace would and that's the main benefit anyway. Just start your auto switchover on the non-T side so you don't drain the tank connected to the outdoor stove and have to move that T

ezakoske likes this.
  12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's the reverse of what I'd do... you could run the second tank empty (or very low) with the stove and not even know it, then when your furnace went to the second tank you're out of luck.

13. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

In your scenario in either case you've burned both tanks so you're SOL anyway and you still had to move the High Pressure grill at least once.

14. tfischer

No, in the scenario where you're drawing down both tanks at once, you end up with no propane, In the scenario where the high pressure stove draws from the same tank as the rest of the camper, you know that you're half out of propane once the switchover happens. You'd have to manually move the tee to the other tank for the stove, but at least you wouldn't lose heat in the middle of the night.

15. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Surely, you check your tanks before you go camping in cold weather. A furnace running in cold weather can easily use up a tank in 2 or 3 days. It would a lot of cooking to use up a tank and that 2nd tank will last long for you to get the empty refilled.

16. tfischer

Just saying what I would do if it were my setup :)

17. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

AB67A78D-F7CC-4415-A718-F67D22791DA2.jpeg 44021056-9096-44CA-9BA4-66A8A04E42CB.jpeg This is my setup.
    I have a tee and two ball valves.

18. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

This year I was able to get a high pressure auto switchover put on my '08 Bayside. It wasn't cheap because, at least in Michigan, only licensed propane dealers can handle/install a high pressure regulator. (My repair shop does a lot of work for a propane dealer and was able to 'work a deal' on my switchover :))
    IIRC the switchover was around $170.00 + installation and misc hardware and plumbing stuff.