Propane distribution post mounted to side of pup?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by lksdrinker, Sep 18, 2019.

1. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Has anyone tried (or thought of trying) to mount a distribution post to the high pressure output on the side of a popup? I wouldn't mind being able to run propane lantern and use the propane I already carry as fuel (instead of the 'disposable' 1 lb tanks).

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have been pulling one of my two tanks off the tongue and using such a device to power my coleman camp stove mounted on the side of my camper where the RVque would sit. I really need to add a tee in the line from one of the tanks and run a high pressure line to the point the low pressure quick connect now sits. That may be a winter project for me.

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Assuming you have clearance over the main tanks, you can use a Y fitting
    [​IMG]

And the tougher part, sourcing up a Century tri outlet distribution post.
    [​IMG]

The advantage of the Century post is that is clamps to the safety ring, not the valve, this will allow you to keep the tank connected to the PUP.

Just remember to REMOVE the Y splitter once you get done with the distribution post...

Personally, I would prefer Coleman Fuel / Dual Fuel lanterns / stoves vs propane. You aren't dependent on the location of the propane tank and hoses...

4. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I thought about adding a "Y" like that at the tanks, but would rather have my source coming from a more accessible spot when the bunks are out.

Duel fuel stuff is nice (and I do own it) but since I have the propane tanks on the pup I was hoping not to also carry a can of gas!

That century post is interesting....still hoping to use something like that mounted to someplace other than the top of the propane tank.

5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Yeah you do have a challenge there...

If it's just a lantern, maybe run the hose to the lantern on a hanging stand, keeping the hose draped down pulling the lantern to the proper orientation.

6. Aladin Sane

I ended up putting a tee at the tank. One of the branches of the tee had a fitting like a 1 lb cylinder. I attached a high pressure hose to that, ran it under the pup and up through the cabinet where the existing low pressure quick connect comes out the side of the pup. That end then screws onto the propane regulator on the high pressure stove I hang on the side of the pup.

7. jdkmrc

jdkmrc New Member

To run my Blackstone griddle I disconnect one of my tanks and run a 25' extension hose. I think I'll put one of those Y-fittings on my list to Santa.

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is any rules or regulations that apply to high pressure LP indoors. I have heard all my life that high pressure lines and hoses other than direct connected are a big no no indoors. Following what I've heard everything should be on the outside of the camper. That being said, I have been known to run a hose from a 20lb tank though the velcro inside to my Buddy heater.

9. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I'm not sure why I'm so opposed to splitting the propane from the tank directly. Maybe its just because the lines are already plumbed in and there waiting to be used. Maybe I'll get a splitter and use it right at the outside stove connection (instead of at the tank) and use hoses from there.

My plan is for outside of the pup.

10. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

11. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I'm already carrying 2x20 lb propane tanks on the popup. It'd be nice to not deal with the "disposable" propane bottles if I didnt have to. I'm currently refilling the little ones and find that some bottles for some reason start leaking once you try to refill. So besides the hassle of doing the work, I'm sometimes wasting propane by even trying to refill the bottles!

12. Aladin Sane

I refilled for a while, and still carry some for my lantern, but being able to run my high pressure stove off of my 2 propane tanks will be great next season.

13. p

p Active Member

If u have a lp outlet....it is an easy conversion for a Coleman road trip BBQ.

14. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Sure...if I owned a Coleman Road Trip I suppose. Not sure if you mean liquid propane or low pressure, but I converted my coleman camp stove to use propane and use the high pressure line for that.

15. rabird

rabird Howdy!

with an adapter you could hook up a distribution post, one with a hose connection.
    Add a spear/extension to the post and cram er in the ground, use the top connection for a lantern, a side one for a stove and/or Q

ezakoske likes this.
  16. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Thats the best I can come up with in my head so far!

17. p

p Active Member

Coleman roadtrip sometimes are sold used for $20 (mine was free) since people often lose the regulator. The part to connect it to the LP of your pup is approx. $10.

18. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Or I could keep using the stove I already own and converted to run off the propane on my pup. Not looking for a new way to cook but thanks.

19. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

This is an interesting option! Has anyone seen an adapter (splitter) which would connect directly to the HP outlet? Essentially ending up with 2 HP ports without using the distribution post...

20. Aladin Sane