Propane Extension Hose

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by bimmel20, Mar 3, 2016.

1. bimmel20

bimmel20 New Member

Newbie Question: My popup has a single propane tank. When set up, it is a little difficult to work with up under the bunk. Is it possible to just add an extension propane hose to the existing plug and set that propane tank out from the popup a little bit?

2. p

p Active Member

I also want to extend my outside bbq from my trailer. It is too close for comfort to the wall of the trailer for met to use.

3. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

I just replaced the entire hose with a longer one.
    There are a lot of different lengths available.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

5. p

p Active Member

It has to be a quick connect compatible lp hose

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

for you or the OP?

7. bimmel20

bimmel20 New Member

I guess what I am looking at is a hose that would have a fitting that inserted into the existing hose on one end and then have the fitting that goes onto the 20lb. propane tank at the other...basically like an extension cord with a male and female end...so that if you wanted to, you could connect the two ends together.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never seen one (extension hose) .. probably due to safety reasons.. Your best bet would be to replace the hose from the regulator to the propane tank with a longer one..

What issues are you having with a single propane tank when setting up the bunk ??

9. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I tend to go for the simpler route...open the valve before I pull out the bunk when setting up, close the valve after pushing the bed in when taking it all down. They are designed to be opened and left opened the entire time you're camping.

In fact, I open the LP tank valves before I ever leave the house to head out on a trip, and close them upon arriving back home at the end of the trip. They supply my refrigerator's cooling system during those stages of the trip and for cooking while camping.

If you have concerns about the safety of the LP system to the point that you only turn on the tanks during actual usage, then you have a serious safety issue that needs to be checked out by a professional. If it's just being overly cautious, then by all means, get a longer hose.

It doesn't mean they don't exist, but I have never seen an LP hose designed to connect to the female tank fitting of an existing hose and have the male fitting for connecting to a tank at the other end. They have all been simple "replacement" hoses of longer or similar lengths. It's not hard to swap the existing hose as it is a threaded connection. Just make sure you use combustible gas-compatible PTFE tape on the threads (generally a yellow PTFE tape instead of the white used in water supply lines).

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!