Propane fire pit vs wood based

Discussion in 'Campfires and Firewood' started by StamfordRob, Dec 15, 2020.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Maybe I’ll wallpaper my bedroom to look like trees and sit on the floor in front of an LED fire with woods sounds playing in the background.

tfischer and xxxapache like this.
  2. Jkoht

Jkoht Member

This year my wife and I were able to get more camping in than initially planned for. One of them was a week long trip to Wisconsin Dells in June with my big 25ft camper. I knew that campgrounds charge ridiculous money for wood, and that it would most likely still be damp wood(which turned out to be true watching other people's fires). I decided to get a propane fire pit instead. I got one for $60 from fleet farm, it has folding legs, lava rocks, and has it's own storage bag. It's made to be run off the green cylinders, but I just bought a hose and brought along a spare 20lb tank. After using it all summer camping, boating, and into fall outside football parties with friends, I can safely say I love it. To be able to just flick a match and have a nice cheery warm flame appear, and to be able to turn it off just as easily is amazing. With the three output settings it does put out a nice warmth even on chilly nights. One of my favorite things about it is that because it sits elevated off the ground I can put it on my outdoor rug without fears of it melting. That means when it's raining on everyone else's fire, I'm sitting pretty under the awning roasting a marshmallow and drinking a cold one. 10 out of 10 would recommend picking one up.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. OldMedicDoc

OldMedicDoc Member

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. Casual Camper

Casual Camper New Member

We have a campfire with wood whenever possible but we also carry a propane fire pit and an extra 20# tank of propane to use if there is a fire ban in place.

6. OldMedicDoc

OldMedicDoc Member

Yes. No more wood fires for us.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  7. carbonunit

carbonunit New Member

We acquired ours this year from Home Depot and like it immensely. We gave up on wood fires. With so many people camping this year, wood smoke became a toxic curse at many sites we camped at. The air quality was probably better in a congested city than at a remote camp ground with a 200 lit campfires. By the end of the summer some camp grounds ran out of wood, and what came to replace it was fresh cut, hard to light and expensive ($10-12 per mesh bag). We bring a dedicated 20 lb cylinder and use about 1 lb per hour of propane and like that you can position the ring closer to the rig under the awning (on low of course) and help keep the area a bit warmer during cool fall nights. We have since used it at home on our deck into the late fall and plan on using it at Christmas for a s'mores roast after dinner.

8. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

As much as I love the ambiance of a wood fire, I look forward to them being permanently banned. The thick, smokey haze and stench of lighter fluid that develops in campgrounds is noxious.We were saddened during a visit to Glacier National Park when the smoke paul from the campground adjacent to one of the lakes rolled over the crystal clear water in the fading light, obliterating the view and the sense of purity resonating from the landscape.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We can all look forward to many things being permanently banned. Campfires, wood stoves, gasoline engines, unhealthy foods, beer, ect.

xxxapache likes this.
  10. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

Ban of gasoline engines? We can only hope, once the cleaner alternatives and the supporting infrastructure are more abundant. Wood stoves? Not with proper emissions controls, at least not in the near future. Unhealthy foods and beer? Never banned, but global warming’s impact on agriculture may make them very expensive.

DiamondGirl and Grriz like this.
  11. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

We purchased the Outland 870 in 2019 and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

Cost/quality of firewood made purchasing the ring a no brainer.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  12. jpCamper

jpCamper New Member

We also really like our propane fire. It's particularly nice with young kids because we can turn it off and put the lid on or open it and turn it on quickly as what's going on can change often and rapidly with kids running around.

I modified our fire pit to run off of the stove outlet on the side of our popup which works great. I used the hose below which was a simple bolt off/bolt on replacement and I keep the og short hose with regulator in the camper in case we ever need it. I did have to modify the end of the following hose a bit to open the outlet valve on our camper. I inserted a bit of copper pipe into the inside of the hose end so that it would depress/push/open the internal shut-off valve in the female/camper port. I'm guessing this may not be necessary in most situations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T3PWNX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have also upgraded the rocks/media by adding more over time, which is easy. There are lots of options but these can be fun:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GSVCLZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DiamondGirl likes this.
  13. ManiN

ManiN Member

We're planning to purchase one of the propane firepits from Costco when they have them back again. In the past few years, wood burning fires are becoming very difficult on the west coast due to extreme fire dangers during summer camping season. Danger levels so high they don't even allow propane fire pits often. That said, there is still a reasonable window of opportunity where it would be nice to have avail. For the times when absolutely nothing is allowed, we have taken yellow/clear blinking Christmas lights and balled them up, put them in the fire pit (on something so they don't get ashy), and it honestly does quite a bit to give that ambiance when sipping a drink and chatting with friends.

Stereo56 likes this.
  14. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Steve turned us onto the Camp Chef campfire at the Skyline Drive Rally in 2012 (I remember the year as my wife and I were married at that rally) and I had to have one. Picture in your mind a campfire circle with 35-40 people around it and how big that circle would be, you could feel the heat coming off it, very impressive.

For several years we would do a cleanup at a nearby camp that didn't get their fire permit until the leaves were picked up on Saturday, so on Friday night we were the only ones in camp with a fire. One year I was hosting a group of campers from a Meetup group and people who were not part of our group came over to enjoy the fire because it was a chilly night.

The last time which was probably the fourth or fifth time we had it at that cleanup weekend it was just the wife and I sitting around the fire when I heard the golf cart pull up and stop. I knew why he was there so soon as he stopped I says, "here come the campfire police". Dana the owner laughed as he walked over, I pointed to a group about 5 or 6 sites away and asked, "did they rat me out?" Sure enough they did. I wonder what they thought when Dana drove off with my fire still going.

A lot of times we would use it when attending rallies where we would spend time around a group fire since it was easier then trying to have wood fire at our own site to maintain. Also there's no making sure the fire's out at bedtime, just shut it off.

Sunday morning, especially if it's a chilly morning we can enjoy a little fire with our coffee, and when it's time to pack up, shut it off and a half hour later it's cooled off to put in it's carry back.

Yes, we do still enjoy wood fires probably 2/3 of the time, but it's a great addition.

PopUpSteve and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean Member Silver Supporting Member

I haven't burned wood for years, it costs too much for scrawny bundles of wet or green stuff that just smolders. By mid summer wood fires are usually banned up our way. Propane lasts a long time and we don't go home reeking of smoke. I added some ceramic logs, they make it nicer to look at, especially at night.

Sort of along the same topic, who remembers buying "presto logs" from coin operated machines at campgrounds?
    fire.jpg

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

The more I’m reading the more I’m leaning towards a propane fire pit myself . One of my biggest things holding me back was how fast it would burn through propane. I really am sick and tired of buying wet wood from the campground. Or paying sometimes $20 bucks for just 5 small logs. It’s really making so much more sense.

Kyle R Thorson and PopUpSteve like this.
  17. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We bought our propane fire pit about 4 years ago, & haven't had a real campfire since. Turn a valve, strike a match, & voila! Fire! The grandkids roast marshmallows over it, cook with pie irons, & we have a grate that fits over it if we want to put a pot or skillet on it. Time to go to bed or leave, just turn the valve, fires out. Usually get 2-3 weekend camps out of a 20lb propane tank.

DiamondGirl and PopUpSteve like this.
  18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Kinda why i got one. At a pup rally the guy behind me had one, it rained on and off all week. We ended up with smoked smores, as the wet wood would not burn ( even with lighter fluid lol). I looked behind me and he was sitting with his wife around a nice cozy propane fire.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

How fast it burns through fuel seems to depend on a lot of things. Larger ones will use more LP. With our small one, we could often get 2-3 nights out of a 1# bottle, but we didn't use it for hours and hours each night. Now I use it with a 20# tank, and even using it quite a bit on one trip, didn't empty that. It did seem, on one trip, to use more when we didn't have wind breaks up.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

DiamondGirl likes this.