propane firepits

Casualaz151

Apr 27, 2019
colorado springs, co
I second the Outland Bowl. Wife had me buy one last year and we use it both camping and at home. Never know what Halloween holds in Colorado, and the adults sit in the garage with the fire handing out candy. Storing it in the pup is easy for our set up, we just place it on top of the shower basin so it doesnt take up room in the SUV.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Got curious & found this, something doesn't seem right being priced at $78.00...

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
I figured I'd chime in as this is somewhat my area of semi expertise (but always learning).

1 gallon of propane has ~ 91,600 btu's. A 20# tank can hold 4.6 gallons when full. That equals 421,360 btu's. For reference, a normal house fireplace is around 33,000. The portable camp fires I see everyone linking are anywhere from 58,000 to 65,000. So with this you can figure your burn time on one full 20#.

Your LRC will burn for 6.48 hours at full load. The Outland will burn a little longer (at full load) @ 7.26 hours. In either case as you run the tank down at some point you might see a diminish in the flame and not actually get the full burn time, but it's an idea.

I have taken one like I linked below camping a few times. It's ok, it's better than nothing. It's 50,000 btu's and nowhere near a real fire type of heat. We tape the lid on and remove the tank for transport in the back of the truck (otherwise that tank bounces all around and dents the side).

And just so you know as I'm sure some of you do. You don't need the lava rock / fake logs and what not. That's for aesthetics only. If you can deal with just looking at the burner you can save yourself any messy stuff at all. I can't stand lava rocks, they break down after a while and gum up the burners.

I have also taken one of these because I don't want marshmallow all over the nice firepit. It's just for cooking stuff on. It will go through LP fast, but it feels a lot like a real fire... but it's also louder so that's not fun. Marshmallow's and hot dogs and then it's back off.

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
Got curious & found this, something doesn't seem right being priced at $78.00...

If you think the site is legit buy it

NaterPotaiter

Nov 20, 2020
As the person that ends up collecting the majority of the firewood, I love my propane fire pit. Makes for a more enjoyable trip for me. I get out to relax not work hard on a fire. I'm sure everyone else wishes I made a real fire but the propane tank takes care of the most important part of a fire and gives everyone a place to hang out by and chat. In AZ the fire restrictions start this week, and I am secretly happy about it because I won't be making any fires this summer.

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
We love having a propane fire pit since we always have fire restrictions. They are easy to transport and maintain. Just turn it on when you want and shut off when you’re finished. No more staying up for the fire to turn off or any issues if you accidentally left it smoldering. And not having smoking campfires is a plus for those of us with allergies.

We switched many years go and purchased the Outland Firebowl. Ours was expensive since they just came out in 2015. BUT you can now find them online at Costco.com. Plus, Costco has a different model/brand in store for much less. We keep ours in a carrying bag with the lava rocks kept inside the bowl. It’s stored in our basement cargo of our Kodiak. Before, we kept it inside the Aliner under the dinette before that.

For us it’s a environmental issue living in a drought state. We can cut down chances of forest fires, air pollution, use less trees/wood that deplete our forests and help the environment by using a propane fire pit.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
Yes, check Costco. We bought the Costco version and it's been fine. It was dirt cheap, something like $75 a year ago or so. Everything's been going up in price lately though. I would give it -- and propane fire pits -- thumbs up for sure. Definitely recommend having two propane tanks even though it doesn't seem to use all that much. We can go for 4+ days with a few hours of burn time and still have a lot left in the tank. We haven't done any official tests, but propane use is not an issue at all. Probably half the price of buying firewood at campgrounds for $9 a bundle. We leave the rocks in. Gets a little dusty because our rocks never stop breaking down due to being so brittle, but not a big deal. Bottom line, a real fire wins for overall atmosphere, but here in CA you can't have a real fire half the time. Propane pit = mandatory.

Hazmatr

Nov 19, 2018
We got the Outland off Amazon a couple of years ago and love it. Lots of reviews, if you are on the fence about purchasing one. Ours came with a lid, but we bought the bag for the pit and is nice, well made. We also picked up the propane bottle cover, turns the 20 lb propane bottle onto a table. We added more lava rocks to ours.

Last edited:

Sabotsailfam

Feb 24, 2021
San Diego, CA
We transport ours by setting the unit in a large plastic bag. If you don't put it in a bag of some sort, the bouncing of the popup will make the lava rocks shake red dust all over your storage area.
That's my only (minor) complaint about propane pits. Otherwise thumbs up experience. I might try the idea about putting the rocks in an old canvas bag that was mentioned earlier. Or I might be too lazy to even bother.

Sep 25, 2021
We're scheduled for a trip out to Colorado (Glenwood Springs) this July, and I'm a little worried about fire bans, so I've started looking into propane fire pits. Camping is not as fun without flames. (I've always camped with wood fires, so propane seems a little.. off... to me, But I'll adapt)

Dumb Question of the Week: They all have lava rocks - how do you folks store and transport the rocks?? And how hot do they stay after using them?

I will leave unasked which firepit y'all prefer, because at the end of the day, I'll probably go with whatever Amazon recommends and is reasonably priced :)
Ours came with a bag that the whole unit fits into for transport. It's cool probably 10-15 minutes after shutting it off.

Sep 25, 2021
Anyone have any thoughts about using one of these under an awning or shelter? Reason I ask is... there's no embers. so its really just hot air rising-. Thinking it can keep things warm on a cold spring morning, as long as there isn't enough heat to burn the top.
We use ours under our awning all the time. We also add tarps to the sides to keep the heat in. It's lovely when you wake up and it's below freezing and you don't use a heater inside so you can have your coffee and warm up near it no matter what the weather

Emily Nolte

Jun 18, 2018
We're scheduled for a trip out to Colorado (Glenwood Springs) this July, and I'm a little worried about fire bans, so I've started looking into propane fire pits. Camping is not as fun without flames. (I've always camped with wood fires, so propane seems a little.. off... to me, But I'll adapt)

Dumb Question of the Week: They all have lava rocks - how do you folks store and transport the rocks?? And how hot do they stay after using them?

I will leave unasked which firepit y'all prefer, because at the end of the day, I'll probably go with whatever Amazon recommends and is reasonably priced :)
Got this one on Amazon. Love it!! I live in the Texas panhandle and second home in 21CB505A-233B-4257-AEC3-503D6B46A702.jpeg NE New Mexico. I appreciate you going in this direction! With our continued dryness and horrible winds Our wildfires are devastating! Your ability to turn this off and sleep or leave your campsite makes me very happy!!! Sorry for the RPOD pic….the Skamper was on another trip.
Outland Living Firebowl 893 Deluxe Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire Pit with Cover & Carry Kit, 19-Inch Diameter 58,000 BTU, Black

Attachments

• 3CA039C1-3CBA-4ED6-A468-D25E2AEC5D81.jpeg
    3CA039C1-3CBA-4ED6-A468-D25E2AEC5D81.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 18
Sep 17, 2012
Here's a different approach: for years we've carried a small tabletop stove, repurposed by removing the broken propane hardware. It's about 2 feet long, with a lid and folding legs, We also carry a hatchet, scrap lumber, and charcoal, and use the stove for both cooking and campfires. Usually set it up on a gravel patch out of caution, but it's okay anywhere, even on grass. When we're done just close the lid.

Last edited:

Bobby Keller

Oct 6, 2020
We have had one for years and only use it during bans. It was about $100 and is similar to this one from Lowes: Propane Fire Pit Its small enough that it fits in most existing fire rings at campgrounds. We have also taken it on long trips where transporting firewood does not make sense due to fuel costs, etc.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
I came across a really good review of the Outland models; the video comparing wood to propane over a 4 hr period was pretty interesting as well.

Apparently Outland makes 4 different models from 14" (square), to 19", 21", and 24" (round). They all have the same btu output so the heat output will be the same. The 21" has a different burner in it to be more realistic. Costco has them on sale right now with a carrying case and lid for $100. Not sure you could beat that in today's world.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I bought one on clearance from Target some years back, I think I paid $50 for it. Mine has a lid that locks into place when you twist it, and came with lava rocks. When I want a fire it is great. I still use the box it came in - I had to cut a slot for the lid handle since the box won't close completely over it, and run a tie down strap over the box and under the handle, which keeps everything in place for transport.

That being said I was never a campfire camper - the smoke always followed me no matter how often I would move around. I don't enjoy cooking over the fire, and when camping I find myself wanting to go to bed earlier anyway. These days I only haul the firepit when I know I am going to want to use it - most of the time I don't feel the need for a campfire, especially since I am mostly a solo camper.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Kinda/sorta of off topic but for those with popups how do you transport the propane fire pits? Also how well do they handle weather? In other words if it was stored in a very humid environment like my shed could it rust.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
I bought one on clearance from Target some years back, I think I paid $50 for it. Mine has a lid that locks into place when you twist it, and came with lava rocks. When I want a fire it is great. I still use the box it came in - I had to cut a slot for the lid handle since the box won't close completely over it, and run a tie down strap over the box and under the handle, which keeps everything in place for transport.

That being said I was never a campfire camper - the smoke always followed me no matter how often I would move around. I don't enjoy cooking over the fire, and when camping I find myself wanting to go to bed earlier anyway. These days I only haul the firepit when I know I am going to want to use it - most of the time I don't feel the need for a campfire, especially since I am mostly a solo camper.

I love the camp fire, but if I'm being honest I hate the smell of smoke... I'll deal with it, but it's absolutely necessary to shower before bed. With the propane fp I can take a shower earlier and just go to bed when I feel tired without feeling like I need another shower..