propane firepits

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Kinda/sorta of off topic but for those with popups how do you transport the propane fire pits? Also how well do they handle weather? In other words if it was stored in a very humid environment like my shed could it rust.
Mine is stored in the garage (sometimes gets drug along on tent camping trips too). For transport it usually rides under the galley (fold over style). Haven't had any issues with rust but we don't have super high humidity.

kenquagliana

Nov 12, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Kinda/sorta of off topic but for those with popups how do you transport the propane fire pits? Also how well do they handle weather? In other words if it was stored in a very humid environment like my shed could it rust.
I Transport it in the bed of the truck (with lid). I Store it in the deck box year round. No issues thus far. At camp I leave it out in any weather providing it's covered.
One note however......I've had ours for maybe 8 years now. You will have to replace the lava rocks occasionally and wire brush the burner tube every few years to maintain maximum heat/fire output. The small holes in the burner tube will clog from moisture/ rust / lava dust build up. Sometimes I use a small nail and hammer to punch the holes clean if needed. I dump the whole thing onto a tarp, clean the burner tube and reuse any good chunks of lava rock.
They require a little maintenance, but I believe the advantages of these fire pits FAR outweigh those of any conventional wood fire.

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
We love our Outland Firepit- bought an extension hose and quick connect from side of pop up and added quick connect to the fire pit- all have a lid and straps with a carry case- very simple to use and no smoke- we did Choc a Mallows with no issues- good times

Attachments

• B572CB5E-E56D-4F80-A09F-6648728904C2.jpeg
    B572CB5E-E56D-4F80-A09F-6648728904C2.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 17

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
We love our Outland Firepit- bought an extension hose and quick connect from side of pop up and added quick connect to the fire pit- all have a lid and straps with a carry case- very simple to use and no smoke- we did Choc a Mallows with no issues- good times

We camped last weekend and the 36F night was pretty cold. The real fire just barely was enough to keep us warm... how do you feel about the Outland on a really cold night?

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
We camped last weekend and the 36F night was pretty cold. The real fire just barely was enough to keep us warm... how do you feel about the Outland on a really cold night?
It will not give as much warmth as a fire and you need to be a lot closer to feel the heat- we used it in mountains at night probably down in low 40 and it did OK but not the same as a good fire but will do if there is a ban

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Aren't flames still flames? And a fire ban a fire ban?
It can depend on the location and level of restrictions. In general, propane and other fueled stoves (e.g.. Coleman camp stove) are permitted, as long as they have an off valve. Anything that might throw embers - candles, wood fires, smoking, are prohibited.
We went on one trip where the restrictions included white gas stoves and lanterns. We bought a propane lantern and used the LP stove inside the popup for cooking.

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
We have this same fire pit. When not camping we keep it on our back deck and use it A LOT! Instant wonderful heat and then instant off. No water to make sure fire is totally out (fires in Colorado have started from firepits stirred up by a breeze)(we even saw that when our son thought he had doused it good). I kept the box it came in. With the lid the coals stay in place. Just plop it in box with bungee cord to keep closed and pack in truck.
Sorry about the repeat.

Last edited:

Bandit12

Feb 15, 2015
We live in northern California right now. We got evacuated from our home in 2020 due to the North Complex fire that came within a mile of the house and last year we had to cut our vacation trip to South Dakota short due to the Dixie Fire putting our home under evacuation warning and our house/dogsitter couldn't handle the stress of possibly having to evacuate and would not take our dogs with them. With all the fire restrictions, we decided we wanted a propane fire pit. The Forest Service considers this a propane appliance, same as a grill or Blackstone so they are allowed even during fire bans. On the recommendation of another camping friend, we got a Bond fire pit from Lowes. I removed the factory hose and regulator, replacing that with a 24 foot hose I can plug directly into the camper. I left the lava rocks in the pit for transport. This year, I removed the lava rocks and replaced those with fire glass. Now I need to make one more modification. The fire glass is large enough, and looks pretty when the pit is lit, but it tends to fall thru the slots in the base. I intend to remove all the glass, and cut a piece of wire mesh to fit inside the base then replace the glass. I will note, the glass make the pit much heavier than it was with the lava rock, and I still have those if I decide to go lighter. That said, the lave rock does tend to produce a fair amount of dust when being transported from being shaken going down the road. We hooked our to the camper and sat out in front of the house to hand out candy on Halloween. This pic shows the pit when it still had the lava rock in it. Halloween 2021a.jpg

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri
Got curious & found this, something doesn't seem right being priced at $78.00...

The trust value for that site is iffy at best. Seems a bit low of a price.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
When I was shopping for a propane campfire, I looked at the Little Red but thought it was too small. I zeroed in on the Camp Chef for it's size of 15 x 15 x 6.5 inches and add about another 5 inches with the legs deployed. This makes it easy to store in the camper, small enough to fit in most campground fire rings, and short enough that I can cook over it (using tin foil or pots/pans). And being in the fire ring, it looks more like a real campfire. I added some fake logs for a more campfire look.

Mytime

Mar 20, 2022
SE Missouri
When I was shopping for a propane campfire, I looked at the Little Red but thought it was too small. I zeroed in on the Camp Chef for it's size of 15 x 15 x 6.5 inches and add about another 5 inches with the legs deployed. This makes it easy to store in the camper, small enough to fit in most campground fire rings, and short enough that I can cook over it (using tin foil or pots/pans). And being in the fire ring, it looks more like a real campfire. I added some fake logs for a more campfire look.
What length hose did that come with?