propane firepits

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Just measured the inside dimensions of the front storage compartment. She'll fit with a little room to spare! My opening is from the top, so it'll have to go in at an angle, but it'll fit.

Kids had a lot of fun cooking hotdogs last night, even if we never used it camping I can see us using it a good bit at the house. Building a fire during the week just isn't feasible with homework, school, work, showers, etc. The square gas fire pit is nice, but I don't let the kids cook marshmallows on it because I don't want it getting all dirty. It's more for ambiance. This thing is the best of both worlds.

I did want to mention that I could not get the unit to fire on high for a little bit.. not really sure what the issue was, but something was off. I could hear the "hiss" of gas pressure increase a little as I turned it up, then once it reached 1/2 way it would start to hiss less. After a few minutes it worked itself out and fired on high.. and then it was rolling. Once the rocks got hot it was really HOT. The hiss is something I have to pay attention to to hear, not loud at all, but it is audible..

Last edited:

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Got the bag, the pit, and everything together all ready for this weekend.

The bag is a hair tight at the top where the lid is, but not bad. I just need to remember to pull it down around the rim before I start the zipper. I like that this bag has the handles on the side to pick it up with. Some of the other ones I saw did not have that.

Total all in was $123.00

I will say hot dogs taste different over a propane fire compared to a wood fire. I expected this, just thought I would mention it. It might be that I've grown up on wood fire hot dogs, but I much prefer there taste to the propane heat. It just has a hint of smokey, burnt wood taste to it. And I feel like the gas pit took longer and didn't warm up the center like a wood fire does. Could be my technique? I can't see how it would effect marshmallows, I'll find out this weekend though.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20220518_115151.jpg
    20220518_115151.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220518_115209.jpg
    20220518_115209.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 3

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
We just do marshmallows on ours. I may have put the pie iron on it. Oh, we did popcorn on it a few times.

I just got to use my 1st pie iron a few weeks ago, pretty cool. I don't know if gas would be great for it... I would think that the cooler temps that gas burns at wouldn't penetrate through the pie iron as well... but maybe it would be a more even heat, I'm not sure.. will have to try it out.

Personally, I don't eat marshmallows or chocolate. Can't stand em, and they're messy.. pie irons were great though.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Won't be seeing me anywhere near Disney; too many seething masses of people, plus I don't like big headed make believe creatures getting in my face [8D]

View attachment 84087

I felt the same way, but if you have kids in the 6-12 range it really is magic.. I think it was my sons 9th birthday when we were there. He still talks about it.

In a lot of ways it also sucks... but it's an experience and I'm glad we did it.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
I felt the same way, but if you have kids in the 6-12 range it really is magic.. I think it was my sons 9th birthday when we were there. He still talks about it.

In a lot of ways it also sucks... but it's an experience and I'm glad we did it.
In laws live near Apollo Beach on the bay side, wife & son used to fly down to visit & hit DW a few times, they loved it; I stayed here & took care of the dogs & hacienda...

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
All the propane fire pits I've seen require no power. Just a gas line to an LP tank. I did use our Little Red Campfire with 1# propane, with a "steak saver" adapter, but it gives more even flame with a bulk tank. Now that we have space in the truck bed, we take an extra 20# tank; I just bought a 1 gallon tank to use with it or my single burner stove.

Latest posts