Propane Furnace Turning on when towing...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by leahdan, Jun 16, 2015.

1. leahdan

leahdan New Member

So my dh encountered this when he picked our pup from storage, but we haven't solved the mystery yet and I'd love some insight/thoughts/suggestions before we take it out this weekend.

The pup was stored without it's battery, but the propane was still attached (and apparently not shut off). When dh hitched it up to our tv - he connected the electrical and the camper furnace turned on! The pup was closed up and he immediately shut the gas off but it took quite a while for the fan to shut down. My theory is that our thermostat must have moved during transit or from storage to our tv, to the on position. Our thermostat does not have an on/off switch - just a moveable temperature gauge. Also I guess the furnaces use electricity to run the fan (ours growing up did not), but the camper was down so shouldn't the kill switch have not let this happen?

How can we stop this from happening in the future? If dh hadn't caught it or it happens while we are on the road I fear our pup would end up in a ball of flames at the side of the road...

2. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

HOLY cOW!.....the furnace turned on? and was the pup closed? well, I suppose so cause you were towing it right?
    geez...

3. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

Your thermostat probably does have an off switch. If you slide the dial all the way down it will click over/slide over a hump which turns it off. I didn't know about it until it happened to me last year.

--Rob--

4. leahdan

leahdan New Member

You are right - it is off when the temperature is all the way down but there isn't anything to keep it there (no hump to pass over to hold it off).

5. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Slide it hard, mine was tough to get past the hump, I thought it was going to break. I upgraded to a digital with a battery

6. leahdan

leahdan New Member

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Fingers crossed that's all it takes :)

7. HLFAHEMI

HLFAHEMI New Member

My 08 Rockwood does that when I connect the battery the first time in the spring.
    I have tried and tried to figure out why. The thermostat toggle is all the way to the min setting. It can't go any farther. My only theory is that it's some sort diagnostic or some such cycle. It doesn't turn on like that again unless I disconnect power completely and hook it back up. Also, when it does this I have never heard the igniter activate either.

Sent from my iPad

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I'd wire the furnace or thermostat through the kill switch.

My water pump was not and a bump caused it to come on [:(O]

9. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

My nephew's Starcraft has a switch on the swing up galley that makes the circuit to the furnace. This insures that the furnace will not come on when the camper is down. I'd think you may have a faulty switch somewhere thats not breaking the circuit when down.

10. clydee

clydee Member

or the switch is working, but packed to the gills with something that puts some pressure on the switch ?

11. leahdan

leahdan New Member

Thanks everyone! I took a much closer look at the thermostat while we were camping this past weekend and found that if pushed hard enough, it does switch off!! I had to take the faceplate off to figure this out lol). I think the furnace must not be wired through the kill switch. The kill switch is working fine for the lights, etc. when I tested it and the pup was empty when we stored it.

I'm glad to hear that this also happens to another when picking it up from storage - now that I've found the off switch for the thermostat, I'm not so panicked that it will just randomly start when we are en route somewhere.

12. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

The good news is, the propane is usually connected to the kill switch. So, even if the furnace did come on, it would not ignite.

13. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

If it comes off easily, take off the furnace grill. The furnace in my PUP has an on/off switch on it under the grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I've never seen that. In order for that to be true it would require a solenoid controlled valve to be in the propane line. I've only seen that on a few motor homes, never on a small trailer.

15. leahdan

leahdan New Member

I will take the furnace grill off and check for a switch when I have it up next week to pack for our next trip - that would be very functional if it did! Also our grill rattles something fierce when the furnace fan is on so I'll try and address that at the same time :)