propane mod help

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by tacklebox, May 10, 2015.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox New Member

I tend to go all out when it come to meals while camping. Sometimes cooking for up to a dozen people. I want to be able to plug in my camp chef stove as well as a grill or secondary stove into the same quick connect fitting.

There is a quick connect fitting coming off the camper. I want to find a tee(or bigger) to fit in my connection with 2 female quick connect outputs. Then I need a hose with a male quick connect leading to a male screw on the size of a standard propane tank. Next I need a hose with a male quick connect leading to a male screw on the size of a 1lb tank. I'd also like a on/off valve on both hoses.

Not entirely sure if I need to build the entire setup of if there's a complete kit that would suite my needs. If someone can point me in the right direction or post a link that would be awesome.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Those quick disconnects used for RV's are low pressure connections.. they are barely good enough to supply the low pressure stoves that plug into them..

I can't comment on whether the camp chef stove would work off of it or not, that would all depend on if the flame controls are separate from the regulator, since connected to the quick disconnect you won't need the regulator..

My suggestion would be to carry a second 20lb tank and buy one of those propane "Tee's" or even a "Tree" and connect the camp chef, griddle and second stove to that...

3. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

The high pressure fitting you need are a thread-on type that look like the top of your one lb bottle. I have the same idea. I plan on running a separate line next to my quick attach and taking it off of my bottle by putting a T between the bottle fitting and the regulator.

4. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

Camping World has a Y setup I purchased to modify pt#24023. It might serve your purpose as well.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox New Member

So it would probably work better if I lose the quick connect and add a standard tee?

6. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I have never used a low pressure fitting for the out side but all of the Camp Chief item require high pressure i.e. straight from the bottle pressure.
    We have a high pressure fitting on the side of our PUP and run the Camp Chief oven, a Webber Q220 and run the inside stove all at once. If your handy you could run a HP line from your tank or add a splitter at the tank
    http://www.adventurerv.net/degree-propane-tee-pi-5103.html
    then a
    http://www.adventurerv.net/addatee-pi-5096.html
    and 2 of these
    http://www.adventurerv.net/extendaflow-hose-144-camper-pi-1281.html

7. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

I would definitely use a different size quick attach than the factory low pressure one so there's no mistakes getting the wrong pressure to the wrong appliance. Imho I have a tree from coleman that screws directly to my spare propane bottle that works great for me. I screw my propane lantern to the top and my stove via hose to one of the 2 fittings on the sides

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Problem is that it is universal in the RV world that a quick disconnect is low pressure... Not saying the RV police will come and arrest you for installing a QD on a high pressure line, but it certainly isn't safe, since others won't know.. I would look for a different fitting other then a QD..

9. tacklebox

tacklebox New Member

You think it would work just fine if I put a high pressure quick connect on it with a splitter? A distribution tree is nice and I love having the lantern above my stove but I'm going to mount some Aurora led light bars to the roof. Bottom line is I need to clear out space. It's tough fitting everything for a family of 5 inside the popup. I been working on my tongue and will have 2 30 lb tanks and 2 6v golf cart batteries going on it and would like to run everything off that. Redoing some wiring today. I'll start a build thread with pics once i get further along with all my mods.

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

You can try to find the right fittings and hope it'll work but this is cheaper and WILL work as long as whatever else you're plugging in has its' own regulator. Additionally, it won't matter if the device is low pressure or high pressure.

This Tee allows me to run the campers' LPG system and tag on a hot water heater or BBQ and position it wherever I want using an extension hose and quick connect fittings.

[​IMG]

There are a few alternate suggestions in my mod thread that might prove helpful as well.
    Mod thread here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=74552.

11. tacklebox

tacklebox New Member

That thread was useful. Did you put a regulator going into your heater and fridge lines? Not sure what the total btu I'll be using is but I know my stove is up to 90,000 plus 17,000 or so camp grill and want to add a single burner 30,000btu.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

The pup has its' own regulator on the hose that connects to the LPG tank so I just hook it up as I normally would. The EccoTemp and BBQ have their own regulators to which I've added quick-connect fittings. I just connect an extension hose with it's own quick connect fittings, then swap out devices as required.

If you read the mod thread, I explain the different BTU outputs of the different colored QCC fittings. The Green fitting is rated for 200,000 BTW and will most assuredly suffice for the camper and whatever else you connect to it. Part numbers and sources are provided in the mod thread as well.

13. Pop Upp

Pop Upp New Member

Very helpful and interesting thread here. We are currently using a seperate propane bottle and a splitter to run our lantern and camp chef on. Does anyone know how I can add a splitter to the existing gas line of our POP to run the lantern on a type of a splitter please?

14. bondebond

bondebond New Member

According to Camp Chef, if your burner is 30K BTU, then it is low pressure which is what most of their burners are in standard stoves. The 60K BTU burner is high pressure and used for specialized purposes. There is always a regulator between the LP tank and the burner - it's just whether it is low pressure or high pressure. The link below even gives real numbers for water column differences between the two.

http://www.campchef.com/learning-center.html#burners

However, with the PUP's two stage regulator up by the tanks, you're feeding low pressure LP into the Camp Chef's regulator. You may get inadequate flow without heavily modifying the CC, and I would not recommend that for anything.

15. rabird

rabird Howdy!