Propane or Charcoal

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by smokincanuck, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

At home, we use charcoal, while camping we use campfire/coals for most of our cooking. We may bring along a small amount of charcoal, for emergency. We have only used propane stove once and don't even bring it along anymore.

2. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Exactly the same even down to the Camp Chef stove.

3. smokincanuck

smokincanuck Member

Welp for $39.00 I'm going to pick up a Weber Smokey Joe Silver (may just watch CL or Kijiji for a gently used one). For longer trips out I will find the space for it beside the Q120 [:D].

If you follow any of the BBQ forums you'll see there are quite a few guys out there that have modified a 32 quart tamale steamer into an extension peice turning a regular SJ into a mini Smokey Mountain - pretty cool mod and AFAIK can crank out some good Q.

[​IMG]

Cheers

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Nothing better, wood and natural charcoal.

Thanks S.C., Now I am considering chopping the bottom off of my Turkey fryer pot [:D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

6. smokincanuck

smokincanuck Member

Some of you guys/gals may already know of this Weber Board - but for those that don't it's ALL things Weber and a great source of information. I've learned quite a bit from the more "seasoned" (no pun intended) members there.

Here is a forum that talks ONLY about the mini Smokey Mountain project. Some of the guys have done some really beauty smokers - check it out if interested. I'm building one I hope this Spring..........and then FILL the campground with the smell of "smokey wonderfulness" [:D].

Mini Smokey Mountains

This guy did a particularly nice job Lions Fan Smoker

7. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Well we enjoy almost all forms of cooking available at camp! We have a portable Weber Charcoal just like the bigger one at home. We also have a portable propane weber grill (which only gets used now when we have a big crowd as our camper came with an outdoor grill). We also have a coleman fuel stove. A cookstove in the PUP. A turkey deepfryer... and of course we cook some items over the fire.

It really depends on the menu for the trip. Charcoal is great all the time... but not as convenient as propane... so when we have a big crowd propane grills step up for the steaks, chops, burgers, etc. Coleman stove with a good cast iron pan (my honey's grandfathers pan!) can do wonders with food as well!
    One of our favorites to cook over the fire is corn on the cob... shuck it... put a pat or two of butter and whatever seasoning your like (garlic salt and pepper are great!) and double wrap in foil.... cook on grill over fire, turning every 5 mins.

I could go on forever... I'd say get the charcoal... you don't always have to bring it... just bring it when you want to use it... if you are like me I have the menu planned well in advance for the trip!

Happy camping and cooking!

[:D] [PU]

8. froggie

froggie New Member

Charcoal! Our preference is Full Circle-All Hardwood Lump Charcoal. We bring a small grill for hotdogs, etc. for quick cooks, but if possible use the grills provided. For big cooks, we use the fire pit and cast iron cookware. Dutch oven, skillets, griddles. I found a 2 quart sauce pan with lid at an estate sale this weekend that will be perfect for rice. If all else fails, or it's too hot, we have a small microwave.

9. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

If doing butts and need to make sure it's done at a specific time I'll opt for the gas smoker in case the heat needs to be crunk up... At home prefer my charcoal over gas for grilling and smoking turkeys. At the campsite like to use the open fire if not smoking meats... In the pic the ribeyes had already come off from the center heat and were resting... [:)O]

[​IMG]

10. Bjess

Bjess Quiet Time

I used to be a propane all the way but in an effort to be more efficient and pack light I have adopted the fire pit/charcoal method. If camping close to home where we can take 2 vehicles I bring my big Weber and smoke ribs, butts, chickens, etc on it. I don't even own a gas grill at home anymore. Everything is on the Weber with lump charcoal.

11. froggie

froggie New Member

That Volcano looks amazing. How much and where do you get them?

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I've seen it in places like Sportsmen's Warehouse, in catalogs such as Emergency Essentials, and it seems to be on Amazon.

13. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

I use charcoal all the time we have a tripod griller that sets over the fire pit I lay a layer of wood down first and get out my tower and fire it up when diner is done just throw a pile of wood on top of the coals and the camp fire is going in a few

14. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

15. ScottE

ScottE New Member

Have found the little Weber kettles to perform like the bigger models. My gas grill is never used. Grab a chimney to light the coals, or take a propane blowtorch. No propane assist like your performer.

16. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Charcoals. Tastes much better...

17. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I own a bunch of Webers. Kettles, smokers, etc.

For camping its the Smokey Joe with Wicked Good lump charcol. That's as good as it gets for me. I'll have a glass of red wine, do a T Bone on the grill....folks, were camping...have an expresso, then a brandy...did I say I love camping?

18. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

we use charcoal over propane any day way better flavor i luv the charcoal with the hickory mixed in give everything much better taste everyone loves my wings cooked with it

19. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

At home, we have a webber, & a gas grill, but I use the Geo. Forman grill for everything. For camping, we started out with charcoal, but ended up buying a small gas grill that uses the small propane cylinders. Also had a small foreman in the PUP.

20. infotech

infotech Member

Charcoal is my first choice. However, after getting a Coleman Roadtrip I prefer the gas grill when camping.