Propane relocate

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
For some reason I was thinking of putting a pair of 40# on the froy of my 98 StarCraft SpaceMaster and as expected they won't fit in factory place. I was thinking is there any reason I can't mount the 2 tanks tight to the front on the outside of the front? I have no problem rounding up metal or welding up something for them to sit in that's just under the tongue and have them low enough to clear the bed. They only have to be as low as the underside of the frame to fit but spread to the outside on each side.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
I don't know why there would be an issue... Just be sure your bed supports aren't blocked.

Dnodoz

Apr 15, 2020
For some reason I was thinking of putting a pair of 40# on the froy of my 98 StarCraft SpaceMaster and as expected they won't fit in factory place. I was thinking is there any reason I can't mount the 2 tanks tight to the front on the outside of the front? I have no problem rounding up metal or welding up something for them to sit in that's just under the tongue and have them low enough to clear the bed. They only have to be as low as the underside of the frame to fit but spread to the outside on each side.
You would probably need to reconfigure your loading to offset the heavier tongue weight. Can the frame handle the weight without more reinforcement? Most trailers use frames barely strong enough for designed purpose.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
Ya, 40# maybe more then I need, I can fit 30# in the front now without mods, we have done some cold weather camping extended and I dislike dealing with propane on the road and have ran short on 20# cylinders I know not that big of a deal to get one filled. And even for our longer trip 2 - 30# would normally cover it so maybe no mod for now.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
Why the need for so much propane?
I don't like to change tanks or have filled on the road and cold weather camping extended time out I have had too when bigger tanks would not have to deal with it.... I know not that hard to get a 20 filled and save on weight but I also have a pair of 30# that will fit in place and probably take care of the issue too and not add as much weight.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I think you'll run out of battery before the propane is out. So, get some solar and insulate the best you can. Refledex, PUGS, etc.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
Lol, it may block the bed slides, 40 lbers are big. I hope they ment 20 or 30 lb bottles.
Ya I can fit 20# or 30# now and get the beds open, 40# I would have to put a brace under the tongue out past the v in front of the trailer that would make them lower and fit but the weight of extra propane and steel to fit them there maybe more then I should put there for a little convenience

Musictom

Gold Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2021
Not necessarily pertinent to your question, but I second the idea to get the popup gizmos. Probably the best money (with the possible exception of my A/C unit) I've spent on the pup! Helpful in both hot and cold.

We did a 30 day trip this summer, and didn't even empty one 20# tank. Keyword: summer. :)

campfire Joe

Jan 27, 2015
peru new york
We go through a full 20# tank in about 6 days with fall camping up here. Next week will be camping at Fish Creek in the Adirondacks and my wife will be cranking the camper heater. She turns to frost camping this time of year. We use it to run the refer and cooking meals. I always bring another 20 pounder just to get through the last couple of days. So yea fall or winter camping does burn up the gas.

nitrohorse

May 27, 2015
NE Pennsylvania
We go through a full 20# tank in about 6 days with fall camping up here. Next week will be camping at Fish Creek in the Adirondacks and my wife will be cranking the camper heater. She turns to frost camping this time of year. We use it to run the refer and cooking meals. I always bring another 20 pounder just to get through the last couple of days. So yea fall or winter camping does burn up the gas.
I used a Mr. Buddy heater during the day to keep the PUP warm. I opened the roof vent a bit and that helped keep the condensation in check. Buddy heaters sip propane. Use the built in furnace for nighttime heating and you should be fine. Plus Buddy heaters do not draw down your batteries.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
We"ve camped there; great campground. Almost every site is on the water

OTR1522

Jun 9, 2018
There is a guy on you tube named “one 2 many hobbies” that moved the propane tanks back where the batteries were and dropped them so he could fit larger tanks- of course he did a lot of mods to get it done but might give you some ideas